• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

jungle is now just re-hashing OLD ideas.

smile

TRIBE Member
where's the new styles at?

everything sounds like something before it.

new drumsound single? sounds like total science about a year and a half ago.

*YAWN*

[insert sauce and AVE's snarky smart assed comments here]

:p

evil homer

TRIBE Member
while it hasn't progressed much in the past year, the time since last winter (j majik, love is not a game) I think saw massive steps forward for DnB. Lets rest on them laurels for a while as these sounds get wider ecognition, higher production value and more producer experimentation

AVE

TRIBE Member
but Jay-Z's new album sounds absolutely NOTHING like his last album:p

[just filling the smart-ass comment quota]

Juan Love

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by smile
where's the new styles at?

everything sounds like something before it.
DnB didn't start "re-hashing OLD ideas" just now...the ENTIRE genre was built on this principle mon ami.

Jungle has always been about re-hashing the old and fuzing it with the future cut...creating a controlled chaos in a form of music that rips up and mutates parts of other music genres to define itself.

In this sense you don't need Plato here to tell you that there really are no new ideas...just new-old forms and trends that John B picks up on (or rips off to some) which will then become the accepted standard for Total Science to do nuff remixes of in a few years from now, seen?

True Blue

TRIBE Member
Can that not be said about all music...? Where has trance or house or techno progressed to since it started...?

I think Drum and Bass has come a long way considering its roots, and yes there are many influences mashed up like house, jazz, techno but that is the creative process. We cannot progress without tracing our past...

I just finished listening to Accidental Heroes new album and it is solid, track after track. And all this new stuff from Hospital records is making my head spin its floor mashing dub after dub.

Drum and Bass is taking it to the next level.... and still going strong after more then a decade.

:D

True Blue

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
I truly think that to look at different turns in dn'b you have to look at artist's studio albums...that is the format that has really changed face in the scene...while "bodyrock" was indeed different it is already being copied so a lot of producers will try to duplicate or incorporate different genres like house,trance, or in that case, swing.But the full length album captures the essence of what that particular producer is trying to do...check polar,high contrast,digital,photek,the new dieselboy mix...all good examples of how the new generation will change shit.

smile

TRIBE Member
some of you are missing the point.

i'm not talking about jungle re-hashing old ideas in a 'musical progression' sense, like sampling old hip hop or jazz...

i mean that it's re-hashing ideas from the last couple of years...from ITSELF. basically that all the new jungle coming out sounds like old jungle from 1 or 2 years ago.

and yes, tony, jay-z's new album sounds exactly like his old one....which is why i didnt buy it. :p

jungle lovers hating on hip hop? what the fuck?

rentboy

TRIBE Member
Smile.

Are you finished with drum 'n bass?you still hitting gigs?

i remember you sold your records...

you don't even post much here anymore...what's the score? :)

smile

TRIBE Member
nope! no more d&b for this cat. i still have a shitload of records, i just sold off all my newer, up-front stuff. what i have left is way more chill...lots of atmospheric tunes, old photek, moving shadow, old metalheadz...like chilled out, but tense.

i'm trying to get started spinning hip hop now.

vox

TRIBE Member
not all jungle is boring. there are so many cats out there who are pushing things forward and beyond, they just don't get a lot of recognition from the uk-oriented/sanctioned scene.

when kid 606 does breakbeat, his beat programming is INSANE. and people like dj scud reinvent ragga and make it dirtier, faster and harder than ever before.

if you want to hear the freshest, newest sounds...CHECK DIS:

those wee kidlets at splinter productions are taking things to the next level with:

"grass roots"

(aka "we'll take your money anyway")

friday april 26th, 2002
the schoolhouse - 457 richmond st. w (above aria)
19+ / 10pm - 3ish
$7 all night (shut yer fucking trap already)

featuring an international superstar guest!!!!

VENETIAN SNARES (planet mu, hymen)
signed to that fucker u-ziq's label (home to luke vibert aka plug/wagon christ), this boy is straight outta winnepeg. what are they feeding the kids out there? there comes a point when you're so far on your own tip that marginally witty writeups just can't do you justice. and that's venetian snares. known for insane beat programming, off the hook edits, and the creation of dark, ill or just plain quirky soundscapes. industrial wasteland mixed with everything that is cool in this dimension. when you're this big, they call you MISTER. check www.planet-mu.com for more details

KNIFEHANDCHOP (splinter, tigerbeat 6, irritant)
%$@##>&*## -> werd! the usual run of the mill schizophrenia from toronto's best kept secret agent producer extraordinaire. signed to kid 606's tigerbeat 6 imprint, when he tours, japanese girls throw their hello kitty panties at him...YOU WILL TOO!

FEAR (criminal beatz)
this guy has a hot girlfriend. i mean REALLY hot. but that's not why we have him on the bill. more importantly, he can throw down some ragga and scratch the hell out of it, like it's the apocalypse and he has to pull sick turntablism for salvation or something

c64 (splinter, dross:tik records)
quite frankly, i'm tired of biggin' this guy up. let's just put it this way: he's so committed to the freshest of the fresh breakcore and the newest of the new sounds that he doesn't even have enough money for new shoelaces. they be all tattered and worn and shit. so if you see him, pitch in $.25 so the boy can get new laces, seen?

vox (splinter, original sin)
sisters are doing it for THEMSELVES. this scrappy little shorty will be throwing down a mixed bag of soft and hard cuz she's chinese and a shining example of canada's cultural mosaic in action.

* additional support provided by: smerk (www.smerk.ravewave.com)
* for more information email: splinterproductions@hotmail.com

APRIL 26TH IS THE ANNIVERSAY OF CHERNOBYL...SO HOW COULD THIS NOT BE A BLAST AND A HALF??? nuff said.

special shout out to all you idm prats: dance motherfuckers, dance!

vox

TRIBE Member
ps. venetian snares is probably one of the SICKEST beat programmers working today.

he also makes tunes in 7/8 time...that's like boring's polar opposite.

Juan Love

TRIBE Member
"idm prats" BRILLIANT!

vox, that's gotta be one of the greatest "marginally witty writeups" I have ever had the pleasure of reading.:D

-Rudebwoy_Chin-

TRIBE Member
Bookah! Aiyo!

Originally posted by smile
nope! no more d&b for this cat. i still have a shitload of records, i just sold off all my newer, up-front stuff. what i have left is way more chill...lots of atmospheric tunes, old photek, moving shadow, old metalheadz...like chilled out, but tense.

i'm trying to get started spinning hip hop now.
What kinda Hip hop you feeling? I have a plethora of Hip hop records i am selling if you are interested. Perhaps even some trades for some of your DnB>?
ease.

vox

TRIBE Member
juan love:

thanks dude! come out to the jam! there'll be lots of hot bitches in the place.

MC Wizard

TRIBE Member
Vox - Polar is not boring. Just because he doesn't mash up his beats, doesn't mean his music is not innovative. Polar made some wicked 5/4, 7/8 tracks over the course of his career.

smile

TRIBE Member
okay, vox...if i need to know about your event, i'll read the events forum, mmmkay? no need to shamelessly plug up my thread ;)

rudebwoy chin: email me a list of what you want to get rid of...

deejaydlo@hotmail.com

evil homer

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by MC Wizard
Vox - Polar is not boring. Just because he doesn't mash up his beats, doesn't mean his music is not innovative. Polar made some wicked 5/4, 7/8 tracks over the course of his career.
i think she meant polar opposite as in 180 degrees, not as in the opposite of polar

and polar kicks ass. even when sticks to 4/4. skydiver rocks my world.

kurtz

TRIBE Member
Syrous Champions of Champions ~ Andy C w/ MC Reality

I downloaded this mix the other day and Andy kills it! Reality isnt too bad either.. But the quote that kills me is: "Syrous 95 as Large as Ever"

How many times do you say that after going to jam these days? ;)

Anyone hit this party??? Info please!

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories