• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

john selway @ nation

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

echootje

TRIBE Member
kenny was slammin, eric ramirez the short guy with spiky hair really kicked it, and selway for the frist 25 minutes or so that I caught him was building what promised to be a monstrous electro-tech set.

*sigh*

then I left to go flyering

and I got sick

fucking rain

fucking flu

Rob :(

Adam Duke

TRIBE Member
i stayed until about 2 then had to leave as my body was failing me following the previous nights activities! .....wanted to catch John, but the ol' boy couldn't hack it!

:(

@m.

Destro Sanchez

TRIBE Member
"nu-skool breaks "

ummm...
ive seen john a couple times and he has NEVER played nuskool breaks...

i think you might have it confused with electro..

who said he would be playin breaks?!?

D.

Par- T

TRIBE Member
I was there, it was a good night - not crowded either (guess everyone was at Kool Haus instead).
Got a good house set from Eric to start followed by Kenny who did the transition from house to tech-house and finally to electro.
John Selway followed later than I expected, at 2am with an excellent total electro throw-down.
Left part-way through to check out Shannon's party but they wouldn't let anybody in at that time, so I was back at Red Sq. to catch the final 1 1/2 hrs of Selway's set. Had me dancing non-stop until there were only 5 ppl left at 4am.

Thanks to my two partners in crime for the company and guest-list, cheers to @m & KF too.

-T

Sugar D

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Destro Sanchez
"nu-skool breaks "

who said he would be playin breaks?!?

D.

This is the e-mail I got from Most Wanted..

No confusion..I've never heard or seen him play breaks either hence the curiosity :rolleyes:

Techno/ electro guru JOHN SELWAY is back to rock
Toronto with his nu-school breaks and funky
elect-tech.

This New York based internationally acclaimed DJ/
producer rocked it so hard & funky for the PAUL
OAKENFOLD/ CHEMICAL BROTHERS after-party people have
been begging him to return!

And he does... this Saturday, July 27 for the city's
best new night (Chart Magazine) ... NATION @ RED
SQUARE... located at the corner of Richmond & Duncan.

Check out the link below for info on JOHN SELWAY!

Come early to insure entry!

see you dancing!
princess most wanted

www.club246.com

Nesta

TRIBE Member
elect-tech! wtf?!

princess needs to do more research if she knows jack about the artist. :p

Last edited:

Destro Sanchez

TRIBE Member
gawd!!!

that is the worst bio ever!!!

learn what yer djs spin before you promote them, princess superstar (woops, wrong princess..) ;)

maybe it was to fool people into thinkin there might be breaks there...weak.

Destro

enjay

TRIBE Member
princess knows jack about the artist! HA! in fact princess knows alot about the artist nesta...

for those of you who say that John Selway never plays breaks I have this to say.

UK press often refer to John Selway as one of the creators or new school breaks with the Selway flavour... or breaky electro tech... perhaps their definition of breaks is different from ours...

however, those of you who really know John Selway know that he almost defies categoriezation and in some territories like the west coast he is a TRANCE DJ/ producer...

*on another note* i unfortunately missed this one due to a war with the Racoons trapped in my house, however, Nation @ Red Sqaure has become my new favorite place! Why?
*the vibe is INCREDIBLE!
*95% of the crowd dances the whole night
*NO SKETCH
*85% of the crowd actually know the DJ & are there for that... unlike the usual crowd where I would bet less than 40% actually know who is playing.

YEAH FOR NATION!!!!
Kenny's doing a 5 hours set this week... which will be tight!!!!!! Those of you who saw the last one know how good this is going to be!

:D

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by enjay

YEAH FOR NATION!!!!
Kenny's doing a 5 hours set this week... which will be tight!!!!!! Those of you who saw the last one know how good this is going to be!

:D

Is that Saturday? I'm looking for something to do Saturday night.

Nesta

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by enjay
princess knows jack about the artist! HA! in fact princess knows alot about the artist nesta...

nikki, r u princess most wanted? :p

i've heard a dozen mixes from john selway, and numerous remixes and productions.

he is most def all over the place, and defies classification.

however, while he has played a touch of electro breaks and some tracks he drops have elements of breakbeat in them, i have never heard him play a full on nu skool breakbeat number.

whatever, he's still one of my all time fave artists. :)

Destro Sanchez

TRIBE Member
"UK press often refer to John Selway as one of the creators or new school breaks with the Selway flavour... or breaky electro tech..."

who's the UK press??

mixmag? dj? ministry of sound magazine??

:rolleyes:

"perhaps their definition of breaks is different from ours... "

I guess so...

Destro
selway = techno/trance/electro/electrotech<-forlackofabetta'werd

braykbeit

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Par- T
Had me dancing non-stop until there were only 5 ppl left at 4am. -T

I was one of the 5 left at the end when the lights came on. Nice dancin' with ya!

As for the breaks "controversy"... I was there for Mr. Selway's entire set and he did in fact play "breaks" quite often. Just not breaks in the stereotypical fashion. Call it electro-breaks/industrial breaks whetever but the kick was deviating from a 4/4 beat a lot... it just never resorted to a standard old school 2-3 kicks per bar beat. His manner of breaks is more 5-6 kicks per bar... a non-4/4 rumble (think Skinny Puppy... who he in fact played). As for the whole "electro" term, after the lights came on I spoke with John for awhile and we got taliking about the more pounding portion of his set. He asked me to define what I would classify it as.... I told him "Indutrial House" and he totally broke up saying that I nailed it.

Regardless of Genre... I still maintain... set of the year!!!

genetically modified beit

Nesta

TRIBE Member
^^^ nice!

john selway is extremely talented and very underrated.

i will NOT miss him the next time he comes to the t dot.

it's a shame there were so may parties happening on this night.

patri©k

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Nesta
^^^ nice!

john selway is extremely talented and very underrated.

i will NOT miss him the next time he comes to the t dot.

it's a shame there were so may parties happening on this night.

all the times I've heard you say, "I'll be there" ...

.. ahahhahaha !

oh nesta.

patrick

Nesta

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by patrick©2002

all the times I've heard you say, "I'll be there" ...

.. ahahhahaha !

oh nesta.

patrick

true patty, true.

keep in mind i live a 1/2 hour drive from the city.

sometimes shit comes up. you know what i mean. :p