• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

John Acquaviva in National Post Business?

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
probably in the wrong thread, sorry:(

Jan 2004 Issue

----------------------------------------
"All the Rave"

Jeff Sanford
National Post

January 1, 2004

It's the night before Halloween in a downtown Toronto club and the DJ -- Richie Hawtin, a Canadian legend -- is treating hundreds of dedicated fans to an industrial-strength mix of beat, rhythm and volume. He's brought in extra speakers to boost the sound, but anyone watching the DJ booth can see they aren't the only special addition. More notable -- and far more curious -- is the fact that though the music changes as his hands spin records on the turntables, he never switches discs.

His secret? A unique product called FinalScratch, developed by a Dutch company led by his former business partner and fellow superstar Canadian DJ, John Acquaviva. This slick hardware-software combo lets DJs stick with their tried-and-true tools for mixing and matching songs -- turntables -- while shucking heavy, bulky crates of vinyl in favour of digital files on a laptop. And like the latest hit single, FinalScratch is taking clubland by storm. "Have you ever tried to mix music with a mouse?" asks Acquaviva, who, by virtue of a $1-million investment, is CEO of N2it BV of Amsterdam. "You can't do it."

Apparently, many top DJs agree. Sales of the $800 system, first launched in 2001, are well into six figures. The FinalScratch website is loaded with raving testimonials and the product has won a slew of industry awards.

The system consists of two vinyl records inscribed with time codes, an amplifier connecting the computer to the turntables, and FinalScratch software. DJs can cue, pitch-shift and, yes, even scratch, on the records, and the signals are sent through the needle to the computer storing the music. "I was skeptical at first," reads a typical website testimonial. "But once I started cuttin', I couldn't believe my ears."

Sudden success isn't new to Acquaviva. He and Hawtin founded the influential Plus 8 Records in 1989, and later set up Acme Vinyl to capitalize on the DJ club boom just as major labels shut their vinyl-pressing operations. Acquaviva discovered N2it when FinalScratch was in development. Now, with Stanton Magnetics Inc., a leader in DJ gear, signed on to market the product, he's set to keep turning heads with this latest perfect mix."

OhNo!

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Adam
How the fuck does Acquaviva have a million dollars?

hmmm,lets say on average he plays about 10 gigs a month at an average of $4000 us per gig,over a year maybe his gross is around 400,000.Over the course of his 15+ years in the business id say he probably has a million dollars in investments.

Skipper

TRIBE Member
Plus the money he makes from Final Scratch, his own productions (few and far between now, though) and the money he earns off of his investments...

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

OhNo!

TRIBE Member
john and richie are a pretty business saavy pair,i doubt theyr'e
snorting or pissing their money away like some jocks.

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
It's called leverage: all he needs is ~$100,000 and he can scramble up a million.

I think I just figured out why my student loan feels like $450,000.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by OhNo!
john and richie are a pretty business saavy pair,i doubt theyr'e
snorting or pissing their money away like some jocks.

Yah I chatted them up once while they (well, actually just John) was still living in London...wicked pair. :)

JEMZ

TRIBE Member
I used to manage Lush niteclub in London which was Johns bar.... he is a good business man and has his fingers in a lot of pies. I know he has way more than a million, I pass his house every day... I mean his first house, he is in the process of building his second right now.