• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Joe Fresh insists it only uses sustainable sweatshops

alexd

Administrator
Staff member

Bangladesh sweatshop making Joe Fresh products collapses, killing 392 people.

Last night, Julija Hunter, a spokesperson for Joe Fresh's parent company, Loblaws, released a statement saying that "We will not work with vendors who do not meet our standards."

Which must mean that all their products are made by kids toiling in decrepit sweatshops.

Persephone

TRIBE Member
You should've listened to CBC radio this morning. There was a discussion on The Current about how these situations arise in the garment industry. You can probably find it online or in a podcast format later today.

Joe Fresh is not the only company caught up in this mess.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
i read that walmart, benneton and mango also had clothes made in that building. for some reason, joe fresh seems to be getting the brunt of the bad press in canada.

will this change any shopping behaviour? about a hundred times more people died in this bangladesh building than in the boston marathon bombing, but it's getting a small amount of press in comparison.

acheron

TRIBE Member
sure but stuff falls down and kills a lot of people fairly frequently in south asia. The Boston Bombing was much closer to home, obviously

Won't change my shopping behaviour one iota - I don't shop at any of the stores involved in this anyway.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

mandapanda

TRIBE Member
if people continue to want cheap clothes (and they do), they're going to have to come to terms with the fact that this means they are made overseas. this certainly doesn't justify horrible working conditions - just to clarify!

every apparel company that i've ever worked for requires factories to pass inspections to confirm that they meet their standards for social compliance. who knows what happened here?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Galen Weston annual compensation (2012 estimated by businessweek) $4,476,933
Joe Fresh sweatshop worker monthly compensation $38

KickIT

TRIBE Member
every apparel company that i've ever worked for requires factories to pass inspections to confirm that they meet their standards for social compliance. who knows what happened here?
The problem is those standards for social compliance are totally bullshit. It's just a nice certificate they can put on the wall and bust out in cases like this as their get out of jail free card.

Persephone

TRIBE Member
The problem is those standards for social compliance are totally bullshit. It's just a nice certificate they can put on the wall and bust out in cases like this as their get out of jail free card.
Yes, this is exactly what was discussed on the CBC this morning. Essentially these companies perform internal inspections of their own facilities once per year, and that's basically all that's needed to demonstrate that the facility is safe/adequate/humane/socially compliant. this allows the garment manufacturers to hide problems, keep their bottom line low, but provide their customers with a service that's 'socially compliant.'

What's needed is a push from the larger corporations (ie Joe Fresh, Walmart, Benneton) to demand a higher standard of social compliance. Only work with manufacturers that adhere to a program using external inspectors and random inspections, the results of which are made public. The Bangladeshi government can do its part by holding violators of work safety laws accountable. And the Canadian government can encourage enforcement of those laws by restricting free trade with Bangladesh until change occurs and workers are safe. Of course, some of those options are really 'pie in the sky' changes at this stage. But what I'm trying to say is that this is hardly an issue that can be solely attributed to the big bad Joe Fresh corporation.

I think the wrong thing to do is to immediately stop all consumer purchasing of these products. Many of these garment factory workers are supporting their entire families on these earnings.

Last edited:
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

acheron

TRIBE Member
Typical grocery clerk hourly wage in Loblaws store: minimum wage in Canada = $10.25/hr plus benefits.

acheron

TRIBE Member
Apple (& most other major electronics cos using Foxxcon) is a good example of what happens when increased public pressure creates an opportunity to improve conditions by keeping a more regularly watchful eye on things... You'll notice that there haven't been many stories of poor conditions coming out of Shenzen in the past year.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
You'll notice that there haven't been many stories of poor conditions coming out of Shenzen in the past year.
At least since they installed the suicide prevention nets to keep the workers from jumping to their deaths...

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
Essentially these companies perform internal inspections of their own facilities once per year,
Actually, they are done by an independent third party(at least in Walmart's case, don't know about other companies). My work is a supplier for Walmart and before they would accept us as a supplier they required us to hire a third party auditor to inspect our supplier (in this case China).

Persephone

TRIBE Member
Actually, they are done by an independent third party(at least in Walmart's case, don't know about other companies). My work is a supplier for Walmart and before they would accept us as a supplier they required us to hire a third party auditor to inspect our supplier (in this case China).
Fair enough, and I'm glad that this is what walmart's doing.

As I understand from news reports, it was not the case in this Bangladeshi garment factory.

acheron

TRIBE Member
At least since they installed the suicide prevention nets to keep the workers from jumping to their deaths...
now "net bouncing" is part of the daily exercise regimen for all employees. bonus for highest bounce!

peko

TRIBE Member
I hate Walmart and never shop there.

According to As It Happens (CBC), Walmart was listed as a company that had labour shops in the building which collapsed in Bangladesh.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

mandapanda

TRIBE Member
I'm pretty sure we do this too. I've also been told that they do random inspections as well.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Anyone else think something is up with the girl in that pic? Looks like there's a sprinkle of dust on her, why is she being carried away with no visible injury?

I'm surprised to see so many fall for the official story with a red flag like that!