• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Job Search Help!!

mcbee

TRIBE Member
as a result of the 'work blows' thread and my increasing unhappiness at my crazy work, i am going to begin the daunting task of searching for a new job!

exciting yet frightening all at once!

as once source of info, i 'd thought i'd turn to the infinite wisdom of the tribe masses...

anyone know of any fashion companies that are hiring?
any contacts within the industry that you could share with me?
job search tips?

i have a BSC in chemistry, as well as a Diploma in Fashion Management...i have a couple of years of retail experience plus 2 jobs in the industry on my resume....i'm smart, fun and hardworking!!
i just need a change...HELP!!!

:)sarah

p.s. we could turn this into a job search thread..everyone feel free to post what they are looking for etc....

TRIBE Member
That's a totally good plan... I can't help ya with your search, but here's mine.

I'm looking for a security consultant/manager job. Downtown, no need for a car, lots of bread, flexible hours.

I'm insanely geeky, have been in a tech. leadership role for a while, and I don't fart or pick my nose at work (very often).

Simplistik

TRIBE Member
I'm in the same boat as you.
I need a job badly. After 3 months without a job I've been sucked in to a vicious cycle of unproductiveness, and the habitual pot smoking has not helped my cause one bit.
So I think it's time i actually make an effort an start really looking for a j.o.b.
I have a Science and Business degree (BSc.) and I'm presently taking the Canadian Securities Course. I have about 4 years experience in retail sales and about 2 years in small businesses. I'm a very enthusiastic, and am a hard worker.
Bilingual too. :D
I'd been interested in anything within the music or fashion indus. but I suppose beggars can't be choosers.

peace

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
I need something in the call centre industry, in a management capacity. I have lots of experience with a few large companies. Help me, I need to get back to T.O.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Cheer Bear

TRIBE Member
I need a job anywhere. I havn't been to work in almost 2 weeks cause of sick leave, and I don't want to go back.

hahaah

patio-d

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Cheer Bear
I need a job anywhere. I havn't been to work in almost 2 weeks cause of sick leave, and I don't want to go back.

hahaah
and i'm supposed to recommend you for a job based on this? :D ;)

Cheer Bear

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by patio-d

and i'm supposed to recommend you for a job based on this? :D ;)
The thing is, I've been there over 2 years, I take off whatever days I want...I'm lazy as fuck, and my boss loves me.

I don't get it.

I have to go back this weekend (depends whether I get a root canal tomorrow or not)

but i'm seriously not looking forward to it.

I wanna work in a music store. I got a job offer the other day, I might take it. The guys known me since I was 12, so it should be cool.

Skipper

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by kennyboy
I need something in the call centre industry, in a management capacity. I have lots of experience with a few large companies. Help me, I need to get back to T.O.
Check out www.pinstripe.com (or .ca - cant remember!) - I think there was a posting for a call centre manager in Toronto. Also, for anyone looking for summer work and aren't particular about what it involves, there is also a posting on there for summer student positions in call centres and office environments. (Read: telemarketer, office bitch.)

Personally....although I live in London I'd take a summer job in TO or surrounding area. I'm completing my third year in the Honors Business Administration program at the Ivey Business School (formerly known as western business school). Top business school in Canada, 18th in the world! :D Unfortunately, recruiting is way down this year, and I'm still jobless, but I do have two interviews lined up at the moment.

I've managed two significant on campus programs, over 100 volunteers, worked for two different law firms, done crazy public speaking, was awarded a privately funded research grant for my own research initiative and have consulted with the Ontario government on student issues.

Best of luck to everyone in your job hunt.....:)

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
I had 3 jobs that started at $800/week but I just gave away the last one. :( There might be some more in the next few weeks.

Bumbaclat

stargurl*

TRIBE Member
Fuck.
My dad got notice today that as of Nov. 8 he's out of a job.
Damn nortel/csc.

Anybody wanna hire a 50 year old guy who's brilliant with computers? He doesn't bite, I promise.

Quirkz

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by stargurl*
Fuck.
My dad got notice today that as of Nov. 8 he's out of a job.
Damn nortel/csc.

Anybody wanna hire a 50 year old guy who's brilliant with computers? He doesn't bite, I promise.
My company seems to like the nortel casualties... They come cheap, but haven't been very good technically though.. too many old guys who know more about 10 year old logic systems then structured programming.. but http://www.uniquesys.com carrers..

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by mcbee
i have a BSC in chemistry, as well as a Diploma in Fashion Management...
What the?

I have a Tommy Hilgifer lab coat... actually, it's Tommy Zincfinger, which is only funny to biochemists.

Made it myself using those inkjet iron-on transfers.

Sarah, wanna start a geek fashion line?

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Boo

TRIBE Member
A big problem I see in Canada is altough we have the #1 highest % of people with 3rd level education we also have one of the highest unemployment figures in the western world. The jobs are there its just that everyone seems to have a degree or diploma or something. Employers want more.....ie experience

Which goes into the catch 22 position. No job, no experience....no experience, no job.

Stargurl...I feel for your situation with your Dad, but he has been given PLENTY of notice though and more than likely a pretty fat golden handshake too. Which is different from a lot of people here who would be let go at a weeks notice and have to survive on there own.

Personally, I am never going to let myself fall into that position. As everyone knows, there is no such thing anymore as a job for life. If you slip up and your education is 10yrs oudated in technology or can't adapt to a new company, because you've been there so long thats your own fault. Even if I was with a company for 10 years... I would feel safe knowing that right away I could step into another position/company because your skills have to be transferable. I've been in companys that one man/woman has been there for 20 years and they change to a new computer system and they are lost! Not cause its complicated but because they are so used to doing things a certain way. They are not adaptable.

I was making half what this guy beside me was when we changed over to a new system, and he couldn't type without looking for help and I was assigned to be his .... liason. WTF...why is he getting so much coin when he obviously doesn't have the skills? I know a hundred ppl that could do his job better...but thats old school mentality.

mcbee

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Job Search Help!!

Originally posted by PosTMOd

What the?

ya, don't ask.

people should not have to pick their major when they are barely 19.
i didn't know what i wanted to do.

so yes i'm a scientist and a fashion whore.

my parents think i'm flaky. i think i'm well rounded and diverse;)

:)sarah

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Job Search Help!!

Originally posted by PosTMOd

What the?

I have a Tommy Hilgifer lab coat... actually, it's Tommy Zincfinger, which is only funny to biochemists.

Made it myself using those inkjet iron-on transfers.

Sarah, wanna start a geek fashion line?
you should use lucine zippers instead of YYK.

Saffron

TRIBE Member
I belive Club Monaco is looking for Visual Merhcandisers. I dunno if they are still looking now. But they were last week. You need a Fashion Merchandising degree. I assume you have that :)

*s*

stargurl*

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Boo
Stargurl...I feel for your situation with your Dad, but he has been given PLENTY of notice though and more than likely a pretty fat golden handshake too. Which is different from a lot of people here who would be let go at a weeks notice and have to survive on there own.

Personally, I am never going to let myself fall into that position. As everyone knows, there is no such thing anymore as a job for life. If you slip up and your education is 10yrs oudated in technology or can't adapt to a new company, because you've been there so long thats your own fault. Even if I was with a company for 10 years... I would feel safe knowing that right away I could step into another position/company because your skills have to be transferable. I've been in companys that one man/woman has been there for 20 years and they change to a new computer system and they are lost! Not cause its complicated but because they are so used to doing things a certain way. They are not adaptable.
No, he's not getting a fat golden handshake. He worked for Nortel for 22 years, then got sourced out to CSC. He's only been with CSC... um.. under 2 years now. He still gets his nortel pension and CSC severance but that's it.

He has a lot of transferable skills. He's kept up on everything, so it's really just his age that he's worried about.

For years, we've been living under the shadow of the nortel axe. We were supposed to move to texas.. then north carolina.. then singapore.. then france.. then rumors of ottawa.. it's been nuts. In a way, it's... nice(?) that we know this time is for real, but it sucks ass.

Last year my mom was working four jobs so my sister&I could go to university. Now, my brother's going into first year, in rez, my sister's getting married this summer and going back to 4th year too. There's just not enough money in this family. I refuse to see my parents suffer for our benefit anymore, so I'm taking a year off to work and support them.

Originally posted by Quirkz

My company seems to like the nortel casualties... They come cheap, but haven't been very good technically though.. too many old guys who know more about 10 year old logic systems then structured programming.. but http://www.uniquesys.com carrers..
Not my dad. He's technically brilliant, a great manager, a good team player, never got anything but excellent performance reviews. It's just a matter of money. Nortel cuts jobs, so CSC has to cut the amount of support they give them. For months, my dad hasn't even had a single member of his team in this country.

Argh. Rambling.

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Boo
A big problem I see in Canada is altough we have the #1 highest % of people with 3rd level education we also have one of the highest unemployment figures in the western world. The jobs are there its just that everyone seems to have a degree or diploma or something. Employers want more.....ie experience

Which goes into the catch 22 position. No job, no experience....no experience, no job.

I was making half what this guy beside me was when we changed over to a new system, and he couldn't type without looking for help and I was assigned to be his .... liason. WTF...why is he getting so much coin when he obviously doesn't have the skills? I know a hundred ppl that could do his job better...but thats old school mentality.

ha ha ha

You have no idea.
Do you honestly think you're untouchable. You can be as up to date as you want but if/when the shit hits the fan, you're out on your ass. Sure, your skills are transferable, but so are a lot of other peoples. It's nice to think this will never happen to you, but in this day and age, chances are it will. I've been through it twice. There is no job security any more, you are simply a comodity. Sad, but true.