• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Job Interview - need advice

kaniz

TRIBE Member
So, I have a job interview tomorrow. And well, pretty much every job I've had in the past I've gotten through networking and knowing people, and never really had to do an interview.

But now, I have one tomorrow - talked with them briefly on the phone. They already have my resume/cover letter, and haven’t asked me to bring in anything else.

However, I figure for the sake of being prepared : Bring a letter of reference with me from my last employer, and also bringing a document that details some of the bigger projects I've worked on in the past (I'm applying as a programmer at a web firm)

Is this worth bringing with me? It just sort of goes over - what the client wanted, what role I played in the project, and the skills/technologies I had to use to accomplish it.

Ie. On Project W, the client wanted X, my role was Y, and as a result, I used Z skills (ie: ASP.NET,C#, SQL, HTML, etc). Should I offer this to them, or only give it if asked?

I'm also trying to think of a few questions to ask them back, and have already done some more research into the company and their clients -- but any more suggestions?

and, the questions are more : what type of projects, team or independent work, what type of technologies do you see yourself moving to in the future, and not asking questions like “how much does it pay, and how much vacation do I get” – but more questions about the actual company/role I’d be in.

However, on the other hand : many projects that I've worked on, have been sort of internal-type things and not websites avail to the general public, so I dont have that many URLs to point them at. So, it kind of feels like I'm saying "Hey hey, I've done this work for The Beer Store, CIBC, United Way, OLGC, etc -- but nah-nah, you cant see any of it".

Or, whatever I did is no longer what is reflected online (ie: a site redesign 2 years ago, which has been redesigned since I left the last company, so I dont really think I can point them at that URL, since its not reflective of my work)

enough rambling... but, any suggestions of how to better prepare for the interview?

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

lucky1

TRIBE Member
know a little about he company before going in to the interview (so you can ask about the company, and its certain projects etc).... for all questions they ask you, back up your answer with a specific example from you previous job applying your knowledge/ skills/ abilities..

kaniz

TRIBE Member
Yeah, I've poked around their website, looked at their client list - went to their client websites to get a feel for whats being used on them (ranges from ColdFusion, ASP, PHP, .NET), and their client list is also pretty impressive.

Then, I guess the next thing .. : is it really that big of a deal if I stutter?

I have a stutter, it gets worse if I am nervous, and if I start to stutter, I notice it (often far more then the people listening to me do), get really self concious about it, then end up just stuttering more and more.

Would it be out of line to explain that I have a bit of a stutter? I dont want them thinking I'm just a bumbling idiot who's fishing for answers if I get stuck on a word while trying to answer a question.

peko

TRIBE Member
write down questions you have for the company or about the position, and ask them.

totally bring your references and portfolio of work, etc - even if they don't want to see it, you'll look super organized.

good luck!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

ila

TRIBE Member
kaniz said:
Would it be out of line to explain that I have a bit of a stutter? I dont want them thinking I'm just a bumbling idiot who's fishing for answers if I get stuck on a word while trying to answer a question.

I don't think so.

Just say you have a bit of a studder and if they have problems understanding you, they can ask you to slow down or repeat yourself and it's no big deal.

The Tesseract

TRIBE Member
Wear good shoes.
Make sure they're polished and in good shape. First thing an employer usually does, is look at a prospective employee's shoes.

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
I think you have prepared well. You've researched the company, thought of questions to ask, and have stuff ready to show them.

I dont think your stutter will be an issue at all. I would not worry about it.

Remember to smile. It can go a long way.

Good Luck!

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Stuttering cab definitely put people off. But it's all about balance. If you have one "flaw," you're just gonna have to have other major +'s to woo them.

My biggest tips:

1. Don't wear anything too flashy. Keep it minimal, classic and stylish.
2. Research the company so that you have some creative questions to ask them.
3. Make a personal connection if you can. Mild chit-chat, a question about a picture on their desk, a question about their position and what that entails. Breaking the ice is key to their evaluation. No one wants to hire a stiff. Particularly, if the stiff is unsincere and doesn't seem like a team player.
4. Confidence. Even if you're nervous, act your ass off.
5. Bring everything and anything you can. Use your instinct. Bringing it doesn't necssarily mean you need to show it to them if not asked. Start making a portfolio for this and future interviews.
6. Always ask them questions afterwards. Never leave in silence or with a "nope, nothing to ask."

Is there a specific reason you have a stutter?
I totally fucking acted like an idiot last week when I kept getting calls from this social worker from the City. He kept leaving me incoherent voice messages that were something like this: "SSSSssssssssssssssssssunnnyyyyyyyyyy.. Hi, it's Dreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew, just wanted to touch base on the file I sent you the otttttttttherherherherher day. If you can give me a call at atatatatatatatatatatatata..."

No lie. I called him back and was like "Hi Drew. One suggestion, if you could not call me with your cell phone as I cannot seem to make out any of your contact info or any of your messages."

FINALLY reached me directly and it turns out he has a stutter.. At least I think.. I still can't figure out if it's his phone or him.. But I didn't hear the music playing in the background and it wasn't distorted.

Anyway, my point is that at first, without knowing, I thought he was being really unprofessional by always calling me on a shitty cellphone when I had told him numerous times that I couldn't hear his # or his messages, resulting in me having to track a Drew down who is a social worker for the city. More work for me. Really put me off and was starting to think "yah, I don't really want to meet him."

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to (at the right time), say "before we start the interview, I'd like to point out that I do have a stutter because of ____________. It's something that I cannot help but it does not hinder my ability to communicate. I just wanted to let you know as I think it's fair for an employer to know that I am still capable for this position despite my circumstance."

They'd probably say "oh ok. Thanks for telling me. It's not a problem at all. Please, have a seat."

Hell, it might even make you less nervous if you find out that the interviewer is understanding.

Good luck. Sounds like you'll do fine.

Last edited:

kaniz

TRIBE Member
The Tesseract said:
Wear good shoes.
Make sure they're polished and in good shape. First thing an employer usually does, is look at a prospective employee's shoes.

I've probably spent more money on clothes for this interview in the last two days, then I've spent on my entire wardrobe in the last year. New shirt, shoes, pants, belts, socks, haircut, tie, etc.

all my past jobs have been very 'casual' dress and I am/was totaly lacking in nice clothes.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Thumpr said:
if i were doing the interview i would prefer that he did not.

Haha. And if I found out that were true, I'd have the workers' rights people on your ass so fast, your head would spin.

I have no patience for intolerance in the workplace. We have reamed out so many employers this year at my job.

NemIsis

TRIBE Member
I agree, I don't think it's a problem mentioning the stutter. Just take deep breaths and think about your answer before you respond :)

I would bring a copy or two of your resume and those letters you mentioned..

When I was first interviewed for my current postion, I had 3 people interview me at the same time :eek: . They had one copy of my stuff, and I (luckily) brought three other copies.. They were pretty impressed I was so well prepared..

Good Luck!

kaniz

TRIBE Member
re-stutter: Something I've always had. Even if I am feeling 100% secure and confident, I'll stutter. About the only time I dont stutter is if I'm high, or really pissed off (and well, I dont think showing up at an interview while rolling is that good of an idea).

Certian words/sounds and/or combonations will make me get stuck. Two most common words I get stuck on

- Hello, and Evan (my own damn name). Thus making answering the phone

"Hello, this is Evan speaking" - is a terribly daunting task for me, and often comes out as

"ehehehHello, this is eh...eh..ehVan speaking"

Been to speach thearpy for it before - and it's helped alot, but still not 100% perfect. If I end up getting nervous, it just makes it worse - but even when I am not nervous, it's still there. Although, I think I notice it far more than others do.

Anywho, been spending the last few days prepping up for the interview and feeling fairly good about it, and thanks for the advice/links/etc.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Also Kaniz, take a breather before you go there.

Go early. People always say go 10 minutes before. Fuck that.
Go 20 minutes before, tell reception that you are here (they will probably tell you to have a seat until they page your interviewer(s) 5 minutes before your interview time anyway) and that you'd like to use the facilities. Go do a teeth, fly and shoe check.
Take a deep breath. Look in the mirror at how hot you look. And go back out there and nail it.

kaniz

TRIBE Member
NemIsis said:
I agree, I don't think it's a problem mentioning the stutter. Just take deep breaths and think about your answer before you respond :)

I would bring a copy or two of your resume and those letters you mentioned..

When I was first interviewed for my current postion, I had 3 people interview me at the same time :eek: . They had one copy of my stuff, and I (luckily) brought three other copies.. They were pretty impressed I was so well prepared..

Good Luck!

lol, 'think before I speak' makes it 100x worse :p Its the most common advice non-speach thearpists give me, and its the one that compounds the problem even more so.

peko

TRIBE Member
MissBlu said:
I dont think your stutter will be an issue at all. I would not worry about it.

Remember to smile. It can go a long way.

Good Luck!

postive thinking. shoulders back, head up, walk in like you own the room.

kaniz

TRIBE Member
but otherwise, great advice - printing out another few copies of my cover letter/resume. He did mention that two other people would be there during the interview.

NemIsis

TRIBE Member
kaniz said:
lol, 'think before I speak' makes it 100x worse :p Its the most common advice non-speach thearpists give me, and its the one that compounds the problem even more so.

Well, now you know I'm not a speech therapist!! LOL..(Sorry..:eek: )

Honestly, I'm sure you will do just fine. Be honest, I'm sure they'll understand :D

Liquidity

TRIBE Member
the stuttering will be a factor. it, afterall, affects how you communicate with others - and this is an important factor in most IT related fields.

more important than wearing a suit: dressing STYLISHLY. something about someone who can walk into an interview wearing nice jeans and pulling it off is a big plus in a technology related field.

smile. not that fake "i'm nervous so i'll smile to hide it" kinda smile. the smile that says "i'm really lovin' this 'cause this is what i really wanna do" smile.

have a short list of talking points in mind that are related to current stuff going on in your field. eg. ask them about that ruby on rails stuff or something. if you make THEM look like they're behind the times, then you're showing them that you're adding something new to the company.

find interest. this means ask them leading questions about their company. get them to sell you on the job and you're halfway there. but don't be cocky about it...

lucky1

TRIBE Member
i' have an interview tomorow as well.. but its for an internal position and I've been there longer than any of the other people who applied.. (several are temps) so I'm not that worried about it... ok i'm a *little* worried about it to be honest, mostly cause i hate my current job.. *fingers crossed*

as per the studder ... a guy from another floor who comes up and drops things off at the front desk (i'm oftne out at the service computer) studders.. and you can' t make him out.. turns out he's deapth and i feel bad for thining. man just spit it out already when he was tyring to tell me who to give the envelope too...

kaniz

TRIBE Member
more important than wearing a suit: dressing STYLISHLY. something about someone who can walk into an interview wearing nice jeans and pulling it off is a big plus in a technology related field.

Ok, then, choice of pants.

1. greyish 'dress' pants, not stylish, but very business
2. darkish jeans, no types of wash/distress on them, but look good
3. slightly more stylish jeans, and must say - when combined with the top/tie I have, looks rather sharp. Looks stylish but not formal, looks stylish/casual but not grubby.