• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Jin *The First Chinese Rapper*

Four Twenty

TRIBE Member
What y'all think of him? I personally dont like the fact that he's using his color as a gimmick to sell. Per say i was asian and wanted to break out into the game, i would never use my color due to the fact that it doesn't matter what color yous are, it's if you can spit or not, words do not paint one's color onto the song but one's skill instead. Comments ????
 

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
blah blah blah...

sadly you have to to be excepted by AHEM an american public AHEM...do you think willam hung on american idol would be getting attention had he been a geeky WHITE kid...NOPE.

he's doing what he has to do to get in there and he's using the ignorance of a shitload of people to do it, can you blame him??...AND if he IS good or at least decent maybe he's proud to be the first big chinese rapper...it's a big step for the little steppers
 

Four Twenty

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by terrawrist III
blah blah blah...

sadly you have to to be excepted by AHEM an american public AHEM...do you think willam hung on american idol would be getting attention had he been a geeky WHITE kid...NOPE.

he's doing what he has to do to get in there and he's using the ignorance of a shitload of people to do it, can you blame him??...AND if he IS good or at least decent maybe he's proud to be the first big chinese rapper...it's a big step for the little steppers
Good Point, What's the world turnin into these days !!!!!!!!!

*Stereotyping is normal but ignorance is what happens when you lose sight*
 

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
^^ you gotta know WHEN to play the card I guess...it's a hell of a lot harder for an asian to make it bgitme into the rap game than a white guy who I guess would be the underdog in a sense too in the bigger picture...I don't see anything wrong with it

don't you remember PUNJABI MC??...same thing
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

jus me

TRIBE Member
Last time I saw him mc was when BET was doing those battles (forgot what they were called).He got attacked EVERY single time about his race, however he never did the same to his opponent. He has skills. If he doesn't, then his game will fade when his followup album comes out.

Props to Asians breaking it into the hip hop game. It's about time.
 

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by jus me
Last time I saw him mc was when BET was doing those battles (forgot what they were called).He got attacked EVERY single time about his race, however he never did the same to his opponent. He has skills. If he doesn't, then his game will fade when his followup album comes out.

Props to Asians breaking it into the hip hop game. It's about time.
it's just like eminem rapping about his "HARD" life with his wife and mom..you NEED a gimmick to seel records...his race is his, can't blame him for trying...props to him
 

zoo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by terrawrist III
[Bdon't you remember PUNJABI MC??...same thing [/B]
you lost me

panjabi mc isn't a rapper, he makes bhangra, which is a toootally different thing ;)
 

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by zoo
you lost me

panjabi mc isn't a rapper, he makes bhangra, which is a toootally different thing ;)
dude...he used his nationality as a launching pad to make music in a mainstream setting...never faulted him for that, was just outlining that this isn't the first time this has happened and def. not the last...the gay rapper is next;)
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
I like how rappers CAN use a gimmick like culture to get in there but choose not to...BROTHER ALI is an albino dude with the ryhmesayers camp and only the media really addresses that fact...he could care less
 

zoo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by terrawrist III
dude...he used his nationality as a launching pad to make music in a mainstream setting...never faulted him for that, was just outlining that this isn't the first time this has happened and def. not the last...the gay rapper is next;)
panjabi mc makes bhangra and indian beats, the mainstream simply picked up on it with that one song mundian bach ke :p

trust me, ain't no spin-doctoring going on there .. the indian music scene is strong in england ..
 

zee

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by terrawrist III
it's just like eminem rapping about his "HARD" life with his wife and mom..you NEED a gimmick to seel records...his race is his, can't blame him for trying...props to him
the trick is, in the long run selling records based on your talent and not your gimmick
and then maybe he might have a shot
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

:: salathe ::

TRIBE Member
i thought he was korean :confused:
on the freestyle friday battles i don't think he played up his race. his opponents kept bringing it up, not him.

he's far from being the first asian rapper. most notably the japanese (twigy, zeebra, microphone pager, kaminari) have been throwing it down (and throwing it down well) prior to jin's run on bet open mic. they don't rhyme in english though.

it's an interesting change to english raps. the choppy polysyllabic nature of the japanese language lends itself quite well to verbal artistry.
 

jus me

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by :: salathe ::
he's far from being the first asian rapper. most notably the japanese (twigy, zeebra, microphone pager, kaminari) have been throwing it down (and throwing it down well) prior to jin's run on bet open mic. they don't rhyme in english though.
Don't forget the Mountain Brothers! They're from the U.S. and they've been at it since the mid-90s.

Originally posted by :: salathe ::
it's an interesting change to english raps. the choppy polysyllabic nature of the japanese language lends itself quite well to verbal artistry.
Same thing goes with Korean rap. Even though I don't understand, it's still interesting to hear.
 
Top