• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Jewelry shopping tips

Tech_Head_Rob

TRIBE Member
Hey there kids,

mmmkay for the Christmas season I'm planning on getting some jewelry for the Missus... while I'm hoping to bring one of her girlfriends along with me so they can verify my choice against her tastes, I'd still like to be semi-informed about what I'm looking at/buying. So does anyone on here know what to look for when shopping for bracelets/earrings/necklaces?

peace
Rob

Alita

TRIBE Member
What kind of jewelry you looking to buy?

If you are getting expensive stuff, Id suggest taking someone who knows about jewelry with you. It's so easy to get ripped off.

mcbee

TRIBE Member
i'm biased (as i'm the jewellery buyers assistant) but Winners has quite fashion forward, excellent quality, unique and reasonably priced pieces. plus most of the jewellery counter associates are quite knowledgeable and helpful, ie. you won't get ripped off.

what are you looking for?

:)sarah

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Alita

TRIBE Member
^ not to doubt the knowledge of jewerly sales people, but they ARE sales people - they want to unload!

My mother is pretty big on jewerly, collects antiques and stuff and she went into People's(btw don't go there) not too long ago and some older seemingly knowledgable lady try to sell her some bunk diamonds. Anyway, the lady shut up after my mom busted out her little magnifying thingy...haha

Also recently a friend of mine got engaged and I heard the ring she got was quite expensive...butI saw it and MAN what a piece of crap - I feel bad for the dude who thought his money was well spent.

Moral of the story. Know your shit, or go with someone who does.

mcbee

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ChrisD
^^^are you serious? Winners?

not slagging, but I had no idea.
yup. currently in 30 stores....more counters opening in spring 2004. up to 50+ in fall 2004.

vision currently is to provide unique/'wow' pieces at a discount. alot of the gold is super fashionable, albeit not for the rave set:p but in terms of jewellery trends and fashion forwardness its right on. as with the sterling silver. more my style, and its all unique and very on trend. great pricepoint for the silver too. 14.99$ and up for earrings, 29.99 and up for bracelats. gold retails all the way up to 999.99$.

bah, i should get back to work now:D

mcbee

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by chicku
^ not to doubt the knowledge of jewerly sales people, but they ARE sales people - they want to unload!

totally agreed. hence why it is good to be knowledgeable yourself. however, don't necessarily assume all salespeople are out to scam you.

Alita

TRIBE Member
Heh, yeah. But some people are targets ...

like men in jewlery or lingere stores - and mothers and daughters.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

lucky1

TRIBE Member
for diamonds remember the four C's.

cut, clarity, colour, carrot.

Gold is pretty easy, 10, 12, 14, 24, higher number is purer but softer.(more expensive)

white gold is gold mixed with platinum. More popular now, but more expensive.

gemstones mostly goes by the size.

mcbee

TRIBE Member
also, by trademark law in Canada, gold and sterling silver must be stamped with one of the following to indicate its authentic metal....

14K, 18K etc for gold

925 for silver

also, pieces should have a vendor stamp on the piece as well. this stamp will indicate the supplier/vendor has registered its trademark in canada.

look closely at the piece to find these stamps.