1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

jesper dahlback @ roxy blu

Discussion in 'Event Reviews' started by Nesta, Aug 22, 2003.

1. Nesta

Nesta TRIBE Member

i feel like ass right now, but it was well worth it. jesper played some of the freshest house music i have ever heard - deep, funky, electric house with punch... at times techy, at times soulful, at times electroish... heard some crazy pink floyd remix... wow! big ups to all of the tribers i saw... you ALL rock hard!

respect to greg and ain, who were smashing the dancefloor to bits... i love when promoters actually dance! thanks again for the g list.

it's gonna be a long day... ughhhh. :cool:

2. BigBadBaldy

BigBadBaldy TRIBE Member

Hey Nesta! Cut/paste this into my thread!

:D

3. BigBadBaldy

BigBadBaldy TRIBE Member

Never mind, I'll sacrifice mine.

This is going to be a no frills review for now because of my crippledness and left-handed typing, but what a great night!!!

Got there, chilled with a bunch of great people listening to Peter & Tyrone while waiting for the main room to open. When it did open, Jesper D. came on an played some sweet-ass tracks that had the whole crowd into it from the word "go". Started light, but twisted the set into harder seas over the next couple of hours. Had me dancing, even with one arm throbbing in a sling. :)

Left kind of early (2:30) with Nesta and smackers, but left totally satisfied; would have loved to hear the rest of his set, but I've got a full weekend planned.

My only complaint would be lack of creative mixing; most tracks were just brought in, no nonsense. Oh, and the drummer, but we dealt with that in our own special way! :)

Good to see all you great cats!

BBB.

Ian Guthrie is a mack.

4. fleaflo

fleaflo TRIBE Member

Some great deep house was dropped but I wasn't down with the techy/electroish stuff that he played. But luckily that didn't last for too long and he got back to the deep house bizness.

A very nice little party on a Thursday night with lots of recognizable faces and 'nuff room to dance.

5. BigBadBaldy

BigBadBaldy TRIBE Member

That's ok, he played that stuff for me. ;)

Didn't even see you, Mr. flo.

6. smack

smack TRIBE Member

:eek:

Jesper was everything I was hoping for and more!

The night started out with the SCARIEST drive down from Woodbridge ever with my paisano Nesta. Fucking terrential downpoor like you've never seen it. The sky was lit up with some brilliant lightning. Sheets and sheets of rain poured down. The highways were brutal to drive down in. But we made it there and back alive.

It was really nice to meet up with such wicked tribers when we got there. BBB (the cripple), The Big Cheese, The "Sexy" Doctor, The Watcher, Aussie Paul, fleaflo, Silver Robot. Good to see everyone in such great spirits. Didn't really pay attention to Tyrone's set. I was there for Jesper, and Jesper only.

They opened the main room doors around 12 and people started filling it up. Jesper went on just a little after 12 and started perfectly with some warm groovin house. Its been a while since I've seen a DJ where I was amazed by every single track he plays, but that was the case last night. I loved every track Dahlback played last night. Such a unique sound out of Sweden that unforunately we don't get to hear much of in Toronto. Jesper built it nicely into some farty electro house tunes, then would bring it up again into some more techier stuff. Nice programing. Average mixing. But the music just made it all worth it. He got me dancing, and if you know me that's a rarity. Like I said before, he surpassed my expectations. Great job Greg and Ane! Thanks for the party. Good luck in the future!

7. *SiLver*RoBoT*

*SiLver*RoBoT* TRIBE Member

Peter or Tyrone (always get them mixed up) dropped a nice set to open things up. Every track they played, made me that more excited to hear some sweet sexy house music.

Jesper did a complete 180. He started off much harder then I thought, and was pretty much like that the rest of the night. That said, the track selection was unbelievable. Had my gf, and my big ass shakin all night long.

Was nice seeing some of the tribe guys - you know who you guys are - thanks to my friends as well for coming out...made the night that much more special...

...all for $10 :eek:

*over*and*out*

*SiLver*RoBoT*

8. Nesta

Nesta TRIBE Member

i'm starting to feel better! yay! :)

last night was awesome! i had so much fun!

nice filter chris. :cool:

9. dstarr

dstarr TRIBE Member

OK. I had my mind blown a few times last night... actually, it's getting worse the more I think about it.

Most of the Jesper stuff I've heard (never seen him live before last night) is alot deeper than what he played last night... but whatever because he ROCKED. HOLY SHIAT.

I really, really dug the tunes. And whoever turned off the percussion deserves a six pack and a cone because I actually said to my friend "what's with all the syncopated drums".. forgetting there was a percussionist there. Don't get me wrong, I have a little conga myself, but the tunes totally got me more when that stopped.

Personally, I liked the way he mixes... like his tunes.. it's different.

Watched him for a bit and he works stuff vs. cutting chitown styles. He actually rolled the eq knobs back and forth a bit in an effort to try and find the sweet spot... like he's tuning it. I also think he was working a bit harder than it sounded out on the floor. I watched Jdub closely two weeks ago and thought that Jesper and him are total opposites.

That just goes to highlight the specialness of the night for me.. different tunes and mixing than I'd be used to.

Desire: word up to you and yours for bringing this guy. I think he's a good dj to bring if you want to try and seperate yourself from the pack.

BBB: I totally noticed that there was somebody wearing a sling... I almost wore one myself. I am getting recon surgery on my shoulder in Sept and I actually popped it a bit swimming earlier that night ... the sling was going to be for precaution... i'm sore.

10. *SiLver*RoBoT*

did i also see ian doing a full on makeout session on the dancefloor last night or was i just imagining things??

:D

*over*and*out*

*SiLver*RoBoT*

11. Nesta

Nesta TRIBE Member

that would be big cheese, although bbb and i told the guy to stop a few times. you don't need to add live percussion to the music jesper plays.

12. ian

ian TRIBE Member

Ugg. My head hurts.

Badly.

No comment on the makeout.

ANyway, JD was really frikin good. I only wish the system was a huge one so really get hit with the beats.

He went everywhere from deep house to techno and back. . . smooth mixing (ver interesting style, couldn't really put my finger on it).

One of the better DJs I've heard in a while.

I had a riot.

-ian g.

13. dstarr

dstarr TRIBE Member

"I only wish the system was a huge one so really get hit with the beats. "

thought the same thing. he would rip in MTL on a Friday at Stereo... or System on a saturday. ;)

14. Big Cheese

Big Cheese TRIBE Member

night started out with steve n' me making $$$ n' splif runs out in the pouring rain (nice to finally rock out wiff ya)

got sorted out, got inside, found the crew holding down fort gettin ready ta giv'er, nice to see everybody again

nice to meet bbb n' smackers n' ian n' silver robot

good to touch base with alotta people i haven't seen in a while, you know who you are

and everytime i see a spikey blonde whirlwind by the bar i can't help but crack up and order more booze even though i know it's a bad idea........ tequila n' scotch.... :p

Jesper wise, i was totally impressed and the night exceeded my expectations. Just ask paul or nesta, big cheese was reppin n' she was out in force last night, she hasn't gotten a workout like that since deep dish, fuck it was getting a bit techy for 2 or 3 songs but everything else that night he spun was the bees knees

oh and little drummer boy got delt with quick, nesta all you gotta do is ask *lol* i musta went over @ least 3 different times and asked the guy to stop because he was killin the groove, i chatted with him later on and he was mos def, kewl beans... but still man

anyways, the people mos def made it what it was, deep n' dirty on the dancefloor with good vibes and Mr. Dahlback @ the wheel

n' that's the way uh huh, uh huh i liked it

no sleep 'till dimitri is done :^)

'G

15. *SiLver*RoBoT*

Gf and friend Tara: "Oh my gawd jason, check these two out.....full on makeout session!! ewwww"

Me: "Holy crap, doesn't that guy know that PDA is not allowed ...wait a minute...I think that's ian...."

Gf and friend Tara: "Who's ian???"

Me: on the floor laughing....thinking of what to write....for next day's tribe review...haha

*over*and*out*

*SiLver*RoBoT*

16. the Doctor

the Doctor TRIBE Member

Great times even though I barely stayed for Jesper's set. Nice to see everyone again and to meet Chris and his crook arm (again). Watch for my ass boogying down at a club somewhere near you :D

xos L

17. ian

ian TRIBE Member

There was also a really good crowd at this bash besides the obvious fine folks on this board. Everyone there was there for the music and the company. Very cool!

-ian g.

18. Nesta

Nesta TRIBE Member

i concur. i thought the turnout was great, and the crowd was tight. see y'all tonight!

19. Destro Sanchez

Destro Sanchez TRIBE Member

my roomate (dtox) said that it was the best fuckin set he's seen since steve bug at mockingbird last year.

wish i went, but the funds were low.

destro