• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

jeremy -foundations- jive *new CD*

DaftPunky

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ethnik
if you think those are impresive mixing skills, you need to pay attention more when you go out to a proper house night with a good dj.
Run out of milk for your cornflakes dude?

I sincerely hope this mix, or my comments about it don't keep you awake at night.

:rolleyes:
daft - not fucking today - punky

:)

DaftPunky

TRIBE Member
jeremy - trying to show how supposedly popular i am - jive
A quick search of the dj-mixes-forum produced no results (mixes) with your name attached to 'em.

Would you happen to have a house (or any genre for that matter) mix done by yourself? Hell, I thought Jeremy's mix was very good, but... an effort from someone obviously so knowledgeable as yourself would have to be a masterpiece. I betcha I couldn't even review it... there wouldn't be any words to do it justice.

And sorry Jer to be stealin' yer little signature style, but I must, one more time...

Daft -money where your mouth is- Punky

blackbeltjones

TRIBE Promoter
Strictly for the record...

I've never heard an ethnik mix cd, but have heard him live many times both here in toronto and his hometown of Quebec City. In my opinion, he's an excellent dj with even better taste in track selection. Really diverse too, from deep to bumpy to minimal tech biz, good tracks all around. I've also heard a couple of original productions of his and they were stellar deep house efforts.

Not saying he is better than anyone else around here, but this review also isn't coming out of his ass. He knows what he's talking about.

Carry on.

Stormshadow

TRIBE Member
Some great tunes on this mix...but because you seem to be looking for constructive criticism...as a whole, it kinda bored me.

Like I said, I enjoyed a lot of the tracks...but the programming was a little weird.
You'd start building up the tempo, then dropping it down again, build it up, then throw on a track that kinda killed where the mix was going.

Also, I found the levels really quiet throughout most of the mix.
This kind of compromised the quality of the recording, and wouldn't make a good demo.
Needs a good 6-8 dB boost.

Other than that, the mix was fun.
I wouldn't mind hearing Stereo Patterns, as it seems to be "the people's choice".

Libradragon

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by DaftPunky

Would you happen to have a house (or any genre for that matter) mix done by yourself? Hell, I thought Jeremy's mix was very good, but... an effort from someone obviously so knowledgeable as yourself would have to be a masterpiece. I betcha I couldn't even review it... there wouldn't be any words to do it justice.
actually ethnik probably knows a lot more about djing house than anyone else in this thread. So pipe down there, stardust.

Jer asked for a review on an online board, that means he's going to get the good and the bad - from those who KNOW house and love it, as well as from those who simply love it.

I applaud Jeremy's enthusiasm and passion for house, but truth be told there really isn't anything groundbreaking with his CD. Which is fine - groundbreaking takes years of dedication.

I can also see why ethnik was harsh with his post - if i didn't know jeremy well, i would also get the impression that he's being a bit of an attention whore, taking credit for something others have done previously.

I am not a dj by any means, but i do respect the "code" or "conduct of business" that takes place among them.
It involves humility, and respect for those that came before you.

Passion for the music is a great thing that can be overshadowed by pomposity.

vench

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Libradragon
actually ethnik probably knows a lot more about djing house than anyone else in this thread. So pipe down there, stardust.

Jer asked for a review on an online board, that means he's going to get the good and the bad - from those who KNOW house and love it, as well as from those who simply love it.

I applaud Jeremy's enthusiasm and passion for house, but truth be told there really isn't anything groundbreaking with his CD. Which is fine - groundbreaking takes years of dedication.

I can also see why ethnik was harsh with his post - if i didn't know jeremy well, i would also get the impression that he's being a bit of an attention whore, taking credit for something others have done previously.

I am not a dj by any means, but i do respect the "code" or "conduct of business" that takes place among them.

well said.

ethnik is a great dj and a really good guy who knows his shit. I applaud people who are open instead of pussy-footing around things. he simply wasn't impressed by Jeremy's cd, but hey, not every cd we mix is going to be good in everyones eyes.

djing didn't start in this city and by no means is anyone here one of the forefathers of house music. house was around before most of us had graduated from elementary school and will be around for a much, much longer time.

people are entitled to their opinions, good or bad. if ethnik came in here and said "this mix sucks and you suck too" then it'd be too much, but he broke it down and was honest with his opinion, which counts because he's a great dj with great taste in music.

if people don't like any of the mixes I may post in this room, so be it, but give me a good reason and others good reasons as to why you're not feeling it and ethnik did that. did it offend some people?? probably, but if Jeremy is happy with it, at the end of the day, does it really matter what 30 people on message board think??

Kalemic

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by vench
well said.

ethnik is a great dj and a really good guy who knows his shit. I applaud people who are open instead of pussy-footing around things. he simply wasn't impressed by Jeremy's cd, but hey, not every cd we mix is going to be good in everyones eyes.

djing didn't start in this city and by no means is anyone here one of the forefathers of house music. house was around before most of us had graduated from elementary school and will be around for a much, much longer time.

people are entitled to their opinions, good or bad. if ethnik came in here and said "this mix sucks and you suck too" then it'd be too much, but he broke it down and was honest with his opinion, which counts because he's a great dj with great taste in music.

if people don't like any of the mixes I may post in this room, so be it, but give me a good reason and others good reasons as to why you're not feeling it and ethnik did that. did it offend some people?? probably, but if Jeremy is happy with it, at the end of the day, does it really matter what 30 people on message board think??
The first post by ethnik was relevant because he stated how he felt and posted his reasons, harsh but useful. But the next two were just trash talking and unnecessary. (But I do loves me drama).

PS. Only Naomi would be able to turn "Stardust" into an insult. :p LOL

ethnik

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Libradragon

word nomes, WORD

sure, a couple of my posts after my review were rather gratuitous...but i am not apologizing for them.

anytime someone fronts as much as JJ has on this (or for that matter any other) board, it is someones duty to call them out. i could have probably PM'd him about it, but i also think it wouldn't have made a difference considering his general board personality and the way he has dealt with conflict when confronted in the past.

there is a rather simple 6 letter word that JJ should learn

HUMBLE

i don't know him personally, and he may be a stand-up guy. but his board personality is so pretentious and glory seeking that i felt a need to call him on it.

i listened to his mix not once, not twice, but 4 times carefully. i kept an open mind throughout the whole thing. i decided to post my opinions regarding his mix. if he didn't want them, he wouldn't have posted this mix for public consumption. it goes with the territory. i found his mix to be lacking in direction and it did not at all go where he stated he wanted it to. the mixing was simplistic, and some of the tracks clashed a little. but i did like the tracks he chose, just not what he ended up doing with them. and that is fine. he (or anyone else) can feel free to tear a set of mine apart if they ever catch me playing sometime and i suck on that particular night. i have no problems with that, as a matter of fact it is to be expected and i look forward to it. it can only help me improve as a dj.

he could have been humble, he could have been low key, but he constantly felt a need to keep on coming back to his own thread and bumping it with comment after comment (although rather ironically, my comments and the entirely predictable bruhaha that ensued have probably vaulted the thread view count and/or downloads on this thread through the stratosphere). totally not necessary. if people want to listen to his mix, they will do so cause they are curious and want to discover it, not because it is always at the top of the DJ Mixes forum.

my quote regarding popularity - his post with the exact number of supposed downloads was COMPLETELY unnecessary. he could have SO easily not mentioned it...but it really came across as someone trying to seek out others approbation and attention. trying to look important or popular as it were. ditto with the post regarding the new york station playing his mix...again, a little humility can sometimes go a long way.

as LibraD mentioned, there is a question of respect for those that came before you. based solely on this board as far as i know JJ was a breaks fan/dj for quite awhile. all of a sudden, he found this new love for deep house. cool. everyone is allowed to mature and discover new things. that's all good. my beef is with the way he writes his posts....like he has been around the block and then some, almost like he was there since the very beginning....again...a little humility please.

for whomever it was that called me on ''put my money were my mouth is''.....rather juvenile (well, almost as juvenile as my trolling was....hehehe...hook line and sinker) - if none of my mixes are up on this board, it's because i don't feel a need to share them with the greater public. i keep my mixes for the people that matter as a personal choice..and I value their feedback, positive or negative. i've been around the block more than once in 15 years of dj'ing, so i don't feel a need to share what i do with people on a message board. if people enjoy my music when they hear me play out, fine. if they hate it, fine. if they are indifferent, fine. it's all good. that is both their right and choice.

i find the biggest problem with the dj mixes forum to be that no one ever says what they truly think, or bother posting it. too often the only responses in a thread are friends of said dj big-upping him. that certainly cannot help someone move forward and get better at what they do. it would be refreshing if more people actually took the time to carefully listen to stuff and feel free to comment on it, whatever there opinion may be, and not get flamed for it.

all that being said, thanks for playing kids!

;)

DaftPunky

TRIBE Member
Okay, ima read through everything, I can see I generated some traffic since my last post.

But before I do, I just wanna apologize if I came off crass. Really bad day yesterday.

Now it looks like I'm off to eat some crow... by the looks of a few responses.

DaftPunky

TRIBE Member
anytime someone fronts as much as JJ has on this (or for that matter any other) board, it is someones duty to call them out.

for whomever it was that called me on ''put my money were my mouth is''.....rather juvenile (well, almost as juvenile as my trolling was....hehehe...hook line and sinker) - if none of my mixes are up on this board, it's because i don't feel a need to share them with the greater public. i keep my mixes for the people that matter as a personal choice..and I value their feedback, positive or negative. i've been around the block more than once in 15 years of dj'ing, so i don't feel a need to share what i do with people on a message board. if people enjoy my music when they hear me play out, fine. if they hate it, fine. if they are indifferent, fine. it's all good. that is both their right and choice.
Forgive me for biting the bait, it worked and I got nabbed.

Now, what I'm about to say is not intended with drama in mind, but...

Take a look at your two quotes. If you feel its someone's "duty" to call on JJ, then wouldn't you think its someone else's duty to call on someone like YOU (by asking for a mix)? Sure you offered some constructive criticism, but as you said, some of the things you had to say were "rather gratuitous". It is your opinion that JJ may post the odd thing that's a little unnecessary. It is my opinion that you posted a few unnecessary things yourself. The words I chose to express that were inappropriate, and for that I apologize.

General opinion in this thread holds you in high regard, and because I don't know any better, I have no reason to disagree with that. Do you play out often? If so, I'd love to come hear what you're capable of. 'Twas after all, your suggestion to "pay attention more when you go out to a proper house night with a good dj".

vench

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by DaftPunky
Do you play out often? If so, I'd love to come hear what you're capable of. 'Twas after all, your suggestion to "pay attention more when you go out to a proper house night with a good dj".
dude... this guy (ethnik) is one the main guys in Quebec City. he's a great dj and is one of the guys behind the scene making it happen down there.

he may not play here as often as he'd like, but when he does, he doesn't disappoint.

DaftPunky

TRIBE Member
Thanks vench. If ethnik's name were to appear on a flyer/etc. would it be the same, or does he go by a different name in "real life"?

Seriously though, that last post of mine was not meant to be antagonistic AT ALL. I just wanna find out about what I'm missing. If my travels take me out Ethnik's way and he happens to be playing, I'm quite looking forward to hearing him...

I just wanna hear good tunes... that's kinda why I asked about any posted mixes of his. :)

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
i don't know him personally, and he may be a stand-up guy.
For the record...................JJ is a stand up guy.

Personally I enjoyed this mix and the flow worked for me. As well it reminded me of some great sets I've heard from JJ live. Maybe it doesn't display any high level mixing skills but I don't think that was the intention in the first place. JJ has a true love for the music he plays which is obvious when you meet him and he won't shut up about it. Also note the frequency of his use of the word 'sultry' in regular conversation.

And why does a dj have to prove his 'skills' on every mix? Sometimes my favorite mixes are those that celebrate the songs rather than cover them up with extraneous mixing.

Here is another problem I have. Why is a DJ's opinion more valued than a non dj opinion regarding a mix? Last time I went to a party and did a survey of the peeps losing thier shit at the front to a great set I found that almost none of them were DJs. Isn't it their opinion that matters at least as much, if not more? It's definately important for peers of any sort to challenge each other to push things forward but if we continue to do that while ignoring those that may not have the most educated opinions then there is a danger of heading in the direction that Jazz has gone. Musicians playing mostly to musicians ears.

I'm not at all saying you are wrong ethnik, in fact I respect your opinions. You should have them. We're allowed to disagree and yet still be both right.

kuba

TRIBE Member
I think it took some balls for someone to comment on the mix in a "constructive criticism" way. I have always enjoyed jer's music as he is probably the only person I know that loves deep house so much. hopefully, however, what he read didn't go to his head and get him angry, but instead inspired him to be a better dj with the technical details that were outlined by ethnik - something that I am unaware of, but would probably see the difference if the points were applied.

ethnik_ you also sound like you know what you're talking about (obviously) ... do you have any mixes for download anywhere? the more the merrier!

and to others - good to see tribe isn't always about sucking each other off. sometimes we are poor at something and have to hear it whether we like it or not.

Jeremy Jive

TRIBE Member
I’d be more inclined to thank Ethnik for his review of my CD. He doesn’t like it. Neither do I personally. I would rather hear his honest thoughts about the mix and what is wrong with it than have him put it off and never say anything. I have a lot to learn and it only helps if I know what I did right but also what I did wrong. I’ve already PM’d him to get more of his thoughts in detail if he is willing to share them. I stand to gain and learn more from hearing about and knowing what I did wrong than what I did right. What I did wrong is where I need to work on things, grown and become stronger and more skilled. What I did right is something I should not just lean back on but also continue to work on as well and not just keep repeating.

I apologize if I come across as unhumbled and pompous. I honestly just fell in love with deep house. I haven’t been around it for all that long (first to admit it). It was actually Libradragon who really introduced me to what good deep house is. She had no idea what she was doing to me, I got hooked instantly. That was only a little over a year and a half ago. I’ve been playing records (that’s all I really do, lets be serious here) for almost 12 years but deep house has been a new discovery. I'm amazed daily about what some people know and can remember about the music and the founders. It puts it all into perspective.

This CD is not my best and I’m not the proudest of this one but it is what it is. I recorded the darn thing in a pair of headphones. I hope I do better next time.

I posted it here to share with people and to get their thoughts whether they are positive or negative. It means a lot to me that anyone took the time to download it, listen to it and then write down their thoughts.

Last edited:

ethnik

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Wiseman

And why does a dj have to prove his 'skills' on every mix? Sometimes my favorite mixes are those that celebrate the songs rather than cover them up with extraneous mixing.

Here is another problem I have. Why is a DJ's opinion more valued than a non dj opinion regarding a mix? Last time I went to a party and did a survey of the peeps losing thier shit at the front to a great set I found that almost none of them were DJs. Isn't it their opinion that matters at least as much, if not more? It's definately important for peers of any sort to challenge each other to push things forward but if we continue to do that while ignoring those that may not have the most educated opinions then there is a danger of heading in the direction that Jazz has gone. Musicians playing mostly to musicians ears.

a dj doesn't have to prove his skills on every mix, not by a longshot! but his stated goal with this one was as a demo for promotors to see what he is capable of (as well as letting the casual listener discover the beats that he enjoys). that's why i mentioned the mixing and a few other things. but i do agree that yes, sometimes less is more. in my opinion though that didn't work for me on this mix (if i looked at it wearing my promotor's hat).

as for a dj's opinion, it is by NO MEANS any more important than anyone else's! it's just that a dj can point out some technical details that your casual listener either wouldn't notice, or if they do they disregard it as they are enjoying the mix simply for the music.

and yes,we are allowed to disagree and both be right :)

blackbeltjones

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Jeremy Jive
I’d be more inclined to thank Ethnik for his review of my CD. He doesn’t like it. Neither do I personally. I would rather hear his honest thoughts about the mix and what is wrong with it than have him put it off and never say anything. I have a lot to learn and it only helps if I know what I did right but also what I did wrong. I’ve already PM’d him to get more of his thoughts in detail if he is willing to share them. I stand to gain and learn more from hearing about and knowing what I did wrong than what I did right. What I did wrong is where I need to work on things, grown and become stronger and more skilled. What I did right is something I should not just lean back on but also continue to work on as well and not just keep repeating.

I apologize if I come across as unhumbled and pompous. I honestly just fell in love with deep house. I haven’t been around it for all that long (first to admit it). It was actually Libradragon who really introduced me to what good deep house is. She had no idea what she was doing to me, I got hooked instantly. That was only a little over a year and a half ago. I’ve been playing records (that’s all I really do, lets be serious here) for almost 12 years but deep house has been a new discovery. I'm amazed daily about what some people know and can remember about the music and the founders. It puts it all into perspective.

This CD is not my best and I’m not the proudest of this one but it is what it is. I recorded the darn thing in a pair of headphones. I hope I do better next time.

I posted it here to share with people and to get their thoughts whether they are positive or negative. It means a lot to me that anyone took the time to download it, listen to it and then write down their thoughts.

ok...that was a classy response, way to take it all in stride.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
Is that the first time JJ didn't use his signature signature?

Jeremy -cuttin through the drama- Jive

Suke

TRIBE Member
I just wanna say Respect! to everybody in this thread.

Originally posted by Jeremy Jive
It was actually Libradragon who really introduced me to what good deep house is. She had no idea what she was doing to me, I got hooked instantly.
LibraD tried to get me into that secenery but I wasn't havin' it.

Libradragon

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Suke
I just wanna say Respect! to everybody in this thread.

LibraD tried to get me into that secenery but I wasn't havin' it.
aaahhaaa....karma-suke-tra stop talking trash yo.