• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

jeff mills

tommysmalls

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by oddmyth
close Tommy, the greyed out ones are people who are online but have people in their queue and have no available download slots. The black ones are the ones who have no one in queue and have open d/l slots. Offline files are not shown as slsk is a distributed system, there's no central database holding the filenames so that you may see offline peoples files.
ah yes - that makes more sense! although i've found the black titles to often be 'remotely queued' or stuck on 'awaiting user'

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
well status can change from second to second and when you donate to slsk they give you privledge status meaning that you can shift priority of people in your queues. Thus if you did try to d/l something from someone with no one in the queue, it doesn't mean that priv people can't jump in front of you. One of the benefits of paying for the program I guess...

odbx

UR

TRIBE Member
^^^^
Thanks for the help and I have reinstalled.
However, jeff mills still only come up with about 20 greyed out hits.
UR

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
try changing your search query, instead of typing "Jeff Mills", just type "Mills" or "Exhibitionist". No one way of searching will return all the results, hell sometimes searching by label is the easiest method. I got about ten different hits for "exhibitionist" last night.

odbx

tommysmalls

TRIBE Member
i searched: (no quotes)jeff mills exhibitionist , and i got a ton of hits...i found a couple people with the whole album, although they had pretty slow upload rates - i only got about 1/3 of the album so far

UR

TRIBE Member

Thanks, it turns out it was some computer problems, I was werkin er to hard. I have the cd now, but it ends abruptly. I have 70:01mins, how much longer is it?

UR
Goin to sit down and giver a listen,

BigBadBaldy

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by poker face
Personally I think Jeff Mills is over hyped and over paid.
Personally, I think Jeff Mills has spun sets that have made me dance harder than I ever have in my life, even before I knew much about who he was in the techno scheme.

..and I've never heard him while "enhanced", either. ;)

Tomato, tomato. See you at Stacey Pullen. :)

(When is that happening, again?)

poker face

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by BigBadBaldy

Tomato, tomato. See you at Stacey Pullen.

Stacey Pullen is cancelled. :(

Anyways I am not sure if it is just his Axis sound but I just have never been crazy over mills. And some of his sets have been unnessary choppy.

The Kid

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by OhNo!
ya,what has he ever done to deserve all this hype?
Are you serious or just being saracastic?

In case you're serious... to start he was one of the co-founders of Underground Resistance (along with Mad Mike banks), had his radio show beginning in the early 80's (I believe, may have been earlier?) and was instrumental in helping define and create the detroit techno sound. Moving along to the 90's and his next label Axis records which continued to push the boundaries and sounds of deeeetroit, has toured around the world spreading the gospel of detroit techno... is a fucking amazing dj, he can *actually* call himself a DJ unlike 90% of the wingnuts out there who are really just glorified "cover bands".... hey if no-talent shmucks like Oakenfold, Digweed et al can charge ridiculous amounts of money, I don't think it's unreasonable that someone who's contributed as much as the Wiz has to our music and culture shouldn't ask for what he feels he deserves.

The one time I had an opportunity to see Mills I was completely fucking blown away, rocked three decks, records would rarely play for more than thirty seconds to a minute thirty, rocked so many tricks, cuts, doubles, scratches... in my never humble opinion, THAT is how hard techno should be played... rough raw and rugged.

le kidski

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
When Mills go deep, it's over. When Mills go hard, it's over. When Mills is Mills, it's over. In other words, "Don't Fuck With Mills"! because just when you think he's overhyped he'll stick it to you...

This'll be my Birfday party, bring me Mr Prima Donna.

Last edited:

Hades

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by OhNo!
reliable sources tell me this event might not happen.:(
everyone just has to be patient. It really is a virtue. If it's on his website than, mabye, just mabye, it might be true.

But come on, can't everyone just wait and see? It is still only february, and I know I like to plan my event calander as much as the next individual, but trust, i know i will be there....

=Hades=

patri©k

TRIBE Member
there are going to be PILES of tech-jizz in every corner.... and even in some of your hair pieces...

so bring some wetnaps.

SOMEBODY RAISE A FUCKING LIGHTAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
Mills! lets see, hmmmmm
What can be said. I can say I have seen him play countless times from Detroit to Spain to of course here in the T dot Oh....
The set I saw in Detroit was pure SHIAT but so was everyone elses as there was technical difficulties. When I saw him in Europe he played more chilled out and deeper slowly getting deeper with more layers. This was more of a true Dtown style. It was off the hook. Funny thing though when ever I saw him play here in north america its more flash and cut ups. He is ok at that but often can get a bit sloppy when he over does it. Maybe cuzz I am old school the cuts, scratches are only to enhance the music and it should be about the mix first. Not that I expect Toronto to understand that. Maybe a few ppl understand that here as Dj's but that is more the exception than the rule.

Now is Mills worth seeing? I think so, if you understand him, the style, the music, or want to understand and learn. He either really pulls it off and its a total tour of sounds and funk with the way detroit techno should sound or it can be a good lesson.

Defn better than most of the talent around here and many of you so called techno wannabe's should listen up and learn a few things.

But I don't think anyone should worship like a fool.

OhNo!

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by The Kid
Are you serious or just being saracastic?

In case you're serious... to start he was one of the co-founders of Underground Resistance (along with Mad Mike banks), had his radio show beginning in the early 80's (I believe, may have been earlier?) and was instrumental in helping define and create the detroit techno sound. Moving along to the 90's and his next label Axis records which continued to push the boundaries and sounds of deeeetroit, has toured around the world spreading the gospel of detroit techno... is a fucking amazing dj, he can *actually* call himself a DJ unlike 90% of the wingnuts out there who are really just glorified "cover bands".... hey if no-talent shmucks like Oakenfold, Digweed et al can charge ridiculous amounts of money, I don't think it's unreasonable that someone who's contributed as much as the Wiz has to our music and culture shouldn't ask for what he feels he deserves.

The one time I had an opportunity to see Mills I was completely fucking blown away, rocked three decks, records would rarely play for more than thirty seconds to a minute thirty, rocked so many tricks, cuts, doubles, scratches... in my never humble opinion, THAT is how hard techno should be played... rough raw and rugged.

le kidski

dripping with sarcasm,but i guess you're not very perceptive;)

UR

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Humanjava
Mills! lets see, hmmmmm
What can be said. I can say I have seen him play countless times from Detroit to Spain to of course here in the T dot Oh....
The set I saw in Detroit was pure SHIAT but so was everyone elses as there was technical difficulties. When I saw him in Europe he played more chilled out and deeper slowly getting deeper with more layers. This was more of a true Dtown style. It was off the hook. Funny thing though when ever I saw him play here in north america its more flash and cut ups. He is ok at that but often can get a bit sloppy when he over does it. Maybe cuzz I am old school the cuts, scratches are only to enhance the music and it should be about the mix first. Not that I expect Toronto to understand that. Maybe a few ppl understand that here as Dj's but that is more the exception than the rule.

Now is Mills worth seeing? I think so, if you understand him, the style, the music, or want to understand and learn. He either really pulls it off and its a total tour of sounds and funk with the way detroit techno should sound or it can be a good lesson.

Defn better than most of the talent around here and many of you so called techno wannabe's should listen up and learn a few things.

But I don't think anyone should worship like a fool.

Thats cool, I can say the same thing too. I've seen him in the US, Canada, as well as Spain (two summers ago where he opened for Hawtin who destroyed Madrid) . Sickness Hawtin opened for Mills - down the road things change.

I would say that his performance in the US (Kalamazoo) was one of the worst due to lack of sound. Some of the most memorable where Sickness/Recovery in Windsor, Fukhouse and his last gig a Turbo blew my mind.

But, I do hear what you are saying. I would'nt really make this guy out to be a god, I would'nt think of any dj being a god - but fuck did he ever pioneer a sound for me when I was really getting into the music.

Peace,
I want to hit Montreal too.
Although Speedy J may be a god.

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by UR
Thats cool, I can say the same thing too. I've seen him in the US, Canada, as well as Spain (two summers ago where he opened for Hawtin who destroyed Madrid) . Sickness Hawtin opened for Mills - down the road things change.

I would say that his performance in the US (Kalamazoo) was one of the worst due to lack of sound. Some of the most memorable where Sickness/Recovery in Windsor, Fukhouse and his last gig a Turbo blew my mind.

But, I do hear what you are saying. I would'nt really make this guy out to be a god, I would'nt think of any dj being a god - but fuck did he ever pioneer a sound for me when I was really getting into the music.

Peace,
I want to hit Montreal too.
Although Speedy J may be a god.
You may not have to worship the guy but just think how much or how different music would be if non of these guys ever started this. Ppl will always argues this and that and that is fine to do but with out a spark its hard to start a fire.