• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Jeff Mills walks off stage at Dour Festival

videotronic

TRIBE Member
I am surprised you of all people could post that.:eek:
Very few can do what he does, you don't have to like the sound to appreciate the innovation.
there are oodles of DJs who's sound i don't necessarily love, but i am impressed by what they do as DJs...JM just isn't one of them. i find him noisy, choppy and more than a little distracting to be honest.

edited for clarity

Last edited:

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
Man it's been too long since I read a flame war about Mills. What is this, the 313 mailing list? What year are we in?
I don't think anyone is even arguing here, let alone having a 'flame war'. In fact the only one perpetuating that idea is you.

P.s. What is the 313 mailing list? I'm probably too young to know.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

videotronic

TRIBE Member
ps i know its been joked about but the fact that cranky jeff mills walked off the stage at something called the "dour musical festival" is amazing.

i wonder if "dour" means "super happy fun unicorns" or something in flemish haha

derek

TRIBE Member
slightly crazy. with three decks and his penchant for cutting tracks in, sometimes there a slips.

that being said there aren't too many djs that are technically better.

first time i saw mills he went under the moniker 'the wizard' and it was refreshing to see his style.

rulz

TRIBE Member
from wuderground :

Jeff Mills Tells Bottle Throwing Fans That He’s A DJ – Not A Recycling Bin
Stu
July 22, 2014
Dj News

Techno legend Jeff Mills has today released a statement informing fans that, in spite of recent attempts to use him as one, he is not a bottle recycling bank or a bin for bottles of any kind.

The DJ recently had to cut his set at Dour Festival in Belgium short after a fan mistook the DJing legend for a bottle recycling point rather than a human man and tossed a bottle onstage hitting Mr. Mills equipment.

“I don’t know what I was thinking,” claimed the fan who says that he was trying to be environmentally responsible and recycle his plastic bottle properly when he mistook Mr. Mills for a bottle bank. “I threw it with an underhand motion that has been quite accurate for me in the past when suddenly, mid air, I realised that it wasn’t a bottle bank onstage playing an intricate techno set, but Jeff Mills.”

“It was an easy mistake to make,” he added before throwing a half eaten sandwich into the open mouth of a passing baby. “Where does it say that Jeff Mills isn’t a bottle bank? Nowhere, that’s where.”

This isn’t the first time that the influential techno DJ has been mistaken for a bottle receptacle with a similar incident having occurred at an Italian show earlier this year when another fan made the same mistake and threw an empty drinks container on stage striking Mr. Mills in the head and causing him to end his set.

“I’m up here to play music for the enjoyment of everybody, not to recycle plastic bottles,” read a statement from Mr. Mills. “I am not, nor have I ever been a bottle bank or bin for bottles of any kind. Yes, I use bottles – mainly for drinking out of or urinating in during extended sets or boring Tuesday evenings – but I dispose of them in a proper bin or container, not in my own mouth.”

“So please I urge fans to dispose of your bottles in a safe manner and not by tossing them disrespectfully against my head – they won’t be recycled or even taken to a landfill if that happens. They’ll merely hit me in the head and cause me to end my set,” concluded Mr. Mills who stressed that he has nothing against bottle banks and uses them all the time but that he just isn’t one and may even undergo drastic surgery to ensure that he’s never mistaken for a bottle bank again. “Obviously there’s something about me that looks like a bottle bank so surgery could be the only answer.”

“If it happens again I’ll probably just have to retire from DJing and become a bottle bank full time, standing on street corners with my mouth open while borderline alcoholics push their weekend’s flotsam into my open mouth.”

Other DJs have been mistaken for bottle banks in the past while unfortunately Steve Aoki has never been mistaken for a bottle bank, nor has he being mistaken for a DJ.

acheron

TRIBE Member
Aoki seems to mistake his audience for a compost recycling facility what with all the cakes he keeps tossing at them.

Illuminati

TRIBE Member
Jeff Mills is an overrated DJ with an inflated sense of his importance. I say that as someone who owned every Axis/Purpose Maker record in the day and, at one time, believed he was a DJ god. Have you ever listened to the Liquid Room mix? It's horrible. Train wrecks. Terrible programming. This is par for the course for all his sets. He hasn't improved. He's not technically graceful at all. That Purpose Maker video? Please, that's 90% him just flicking his hands around the mixer. Watch it. He's doing nothing! I'm not saying he doesn't deserve respect or he isn't massively influential but he is overrated and he is and always will be a DIVA.

videotronic

TRIBE Member
Jeff Mills is an overrated DJ with an inflated sense of his importance. I say that as someone who owned every Axis/Purpose Maker record in the day and, at one time, believed he was a DJ god. Have you ever listened to the Liquid Room mix? It's horrible. Train wrecks. Terrible programming. This is par for the course for all his sets. He hasn't improved. He's not technically graceful at all. That Purpose Maker video? Please, that's 90% him just flicking his hands around the mixer. Watch it. He's doing nothing! I'm not saying he doesn't deserve respect or he isn't massively influential but he is overrated and he is and always will be a DIVA.
preach my brother

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders