• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Jeff Mills walks off stage at Dour Festival

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
Thanks to social media, we can all keep up with the daily drama of rave.

It all started with...

Best comment to sum it up:

CL replies with this long ass post:

In regards of my post concerning the Dour Festival and Jeff Mills on Thursday night, I think I have to clarify things a bit.

Yes, I do think I am guilty of very poorly expressing myself. The last sentence "thank you all for that" was not at all meant to include the Idiot who was responsible for causing Jeff to walk off.
Of course not. Of course I would never want to capitalise on someone else's misfortune. I see my post can be taken that way and I apologise for that.

I do respect Jeff very much, I always have and I always will be and again, I also respect his decision to quit playing, although I have to say, I have a different understanding when it comes to situations like these (please read my "further note" below). Saying that I have to mention that at the time I wrote the post, I didn't know that he has a "history" with such incidents and even once made a public statement about it (thanks drumcell for filling me in on that).

But the "comment shitstorm" that resulted of my (again, poorly phrased) post is a very good example of people judging way to quickly a situation they haven't most likely even witnessed themselves.

Here is what happened from my point of view:

My Tour Manager Daniel and I got to the festival site early due to less traffic on the way than expected. As we arrived at the stage, Jeff was about 20 min into his set twisting knobs and faders like only he can, while the crowd was going wild and enjoying it. I took this pic (above) and was just about to post it saying "the wizard Jeff Mills is doing his amazing thing and the crowd loves it" when suddenly the music stopped. First I thought it is a break, everyone was cheering. Then I saw how Jeff took a towel to wipe of something off the 909, I remember thinking to myself, that I hope it is not water dripping down from the tent. Then he slowly started packing his CDs and walked off. There was no sense of urgency or signs that anything bad happened. Everyone backstage was wondering what happened.

So the situation I suddenly found myself in was a tent full of people, no music and no one knowing what was going on, but me being the next DJ on the bill, not even having my setup ready.
So we realised I better hurry to get ready, before the people leave and the party is over. While setting up, a stage manager told us that apparently a beverage came flying on stage and that is why Jeff stopped playing. It took us about another 5 min to finish the setup and I wanted to make the best out of the situation by starting to play music as quickly as possible.
It turned out to be a great 2,5h gig and I found the crowd (of course except the one idiot) very up for it and I assume everyone had a good time. This is what I thanked everyone for. I did NOT mean to thank the person who threw the beverage, may it happened intentionally or unintentionally. Also I feel sorry for Jeff to have been in such a situation and I hope something like that will never happen again, anywhere ever! My post was basically only stating how I experienced the evening. Everything else is a misinterpretation, that, I do understand now, can happen due to my poor choice of words.

To all the haters out there (where were you hiding all these years?), I don't think any of you were actually present at the festival, but you were all very quick to judge and comment a situation that you have not witnessed yourself. Also it seems to me you were just waiting for an opportunity to slag me off and you enjoyed doing so. Judging by your comments I assume you have to deal with a lot of bitterness and anger in your life. I wish the best for you and I hope you realise soon that instead of hating, there are much better things in life to focus on. Try Love and Compassion for example. I am totally ok with you not liking me or my music, there is an unlike button here if that is the case. You are welcome, no harmful feelings on my side.

I hope I could clear things up and I again apologise for my ambiguous post. (yes Dave Clarke & Claude Young? ;))

further personal note:

on the matter of things flying towards the stage: Firstly you never know if that happens intentionally or just out of a weird party situation. Secondly I think by walking away when someone throws something towards you while DJing (as long as no major harm is done), gives way too much power to that crazy idiot and doing so might even encourage more to behave stupidly in the future (once they know they have that power). On Festival stages like this it will never be possible to control everyones behaviour in a large crowd. Also I think you have to remember the large majority of innocent good people who just wanna have a good time as well as the DJ after you, who might not be ready to go...

Thanks for your time and I am happy for all your comments, always, even the insulting ones are somewhat entertaining.

https://www.facebook.com/chrisliebi...62728345488/10152576988030489/?type=1&theater

I would like to point out the Chris Liebing knows about 7 languages, can easily be excused from posting a vague 140 character post.

This week's Rave TMZ - brought to you by RJ.

PLURR strikes again.

Apparently, the person has claimed responsibility for throwing the bottle at Mills.

If you prefer a proper constructed article
Mixmag | JEFF MILLS REPORTEDLY CUT FESTIVAL SET SHORT AFTER BOTTLE INCIDENT

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Do not talk to Mr Mills, Do not look at Mr. Mills and do not throw drinks at Mr. Mills

These are very common and well known rules when working with Mr. Mills.

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
This is Jeff fucking Mills. He is not your average DJ. It's not a DJ set with 3 douchbags surrounding one CDJ. He is actually performing for the crowd, so yeah he had a good reason to be pissed.

This takes concentration, skill and a lot of finesse - I guess it's something the Dour crowd can't appreciate.

[YOUTUBE]7bLanIfR13A[/YOUTUBE]

Liebing can g.f. himself until he can do this ^

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

kyfe

TRIBE Member
I wish I was making that up, I recall where he was picked up at Pearson for a gig at Industry or Turbo (I think). The driver was given these instructions and I believe it was in his rider. The driver was also told not to play the radio unless Mr. Mills asked him to.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
I wish I was making that up, I recall where he was picked up at Pearson for a gig at Industry or Turbo (I think). The driver was given these instructions and I believe it was in his rider. The driver was also told not to play the radio unless Mr. Mills asked him to.
has been in his rider since the late 90's.

derek

TRIBE Member
i actually read liebings post a couple hours after he put it up and thought many were taking it was to seriously. i didn't see any disrespect to jeff at all.

mills has always been a primadonna but he also happens to be one of the best turntablists out there too.

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
i think someone told me about this awhile ago. i thought it might have been someone else.

last time I saw Mills, it was at that Legion building, and I'm trying to imagine anyone from that crowd throwing a drink at him. I can't picture it happening with a respectful crowd.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Taro

TRIBE Member
good post by Liebing - that's respectful and yet demarcates his position.....full support....

I would love to see Mills too....

LikeASweet

TRIBE Member
Mills should have carried on with the gig...ya i get the skill involved in what he is doing, however given the events he plays at, its bound to happen eventually. Its not personal, not in your control, get over it and play the set out. Looks like majority of the people were there for a good time.

videotronic

TRIBE Member
This is Jeff fucking Mills. He is not your average DJ. It's not a DJ set with 3 douchbags surrounding one CDJ. He is actually performing for the crowd, so yeah he had a good reason to be pissed.

This takes concentration, skill and a lot of finesse - I guess it's something the Dour crowd can't appreciate.

[YOUTUBE]7bLanIfR13A[/YOUTUBE]

Liebing can g.f. himself until he can do this ^
Unpopular opinion maybe but if I had paid a zillion euros to go to a festival and heard that ^^ I'd be looking for a drink to throw too lol. Tough to think of many people who are as overrated as Jeff mills.

*cue all the techno hardos coming out of the woodwork to tell me how much of an idiot I am*

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Unpopular opinion maybe but if I had paid a zillion euros to go to a festival and heard that ^^ I'd be looking for a drink to throw too lol. Tough to think of many people who are as overrated as Jeff mills.

*cue all the techno hardos coming out of the woodwork to tell me how much of an idiot I am*
I am surprised you of all people could post that.:eek:
Very few can do what he does, you don't have to like the sound to appreciate the innovation.