• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Jeff Mills @ Pacha, NYC

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
so hes still got the magic.
i had some reservations about going to see Mills at a megaclub like Pacha. i had visions of enormous line-ups, bullshit policies, rude staff, powertripping bouncers and clued out clubbers. (read: a replica of the guv)
turns out i was mistaken on basically every account.
showed up just after 1am to be greeted by an incredibly short and very fast line. no attitude from staff... found our way to the main room to find that Mills had already started! thankfully we only missed about 5 minutes of his set.
phat albert, xopus and i made a beeline to the front and started dancing right away. it was that vintage Mills sound...chugging, relentless, but always bouncy...perfect to get caught up in.
he had about 4 turntables, some CDJs and a 909 (thats what i could see anyway). played some of the hits (bells, strings etc) and lots of interesting stuff that was new to me.
it was my 3rd time seeing mills and my first time seeing him sober (ah the good old days!) and i gotta say, it was just as fun, and i lost myself in the music just as much this time around.
there were a few times where he lost me, like he would put on a really monotonous pounding track which didn't make me wanna move, but within 3 minutes he would drop some crazy shit and make me feel guilty for doubting him! haha
i found the crazy sentinel-esque lighting rig a bit much... waaaay too many strobe lights! i actually had to dance with my eyes closed for most of the night cuz i couldn't handle the strobes.
i was never hassled by a single staff member, and for a sprawling 4 level club with a ton of nooks and crannies, i was really blown away at how freely i was able to get around. like, to go for a smoke, you just went out to this fire escape out back...no line-up or bouncer making sure you aren't bringing your drink with you. i met some nice folks out on the fire escape too!
there were definitely some ridiculous elements, like the go-go dancer in a shower stall (???) and some pushy people on the dancefloor, but overall, i was thoroughly impressed.
around 3:30, albert and i went upstairs to the 3rd floor and found a great spot where we could look down on the 1st floor dancefloor and also see directly into the DJ booth. it was a great view of a master at work. he works that mixer like its his little BITCH! i am always blown away by how fast he mixes...i can't wrap my head around it. also, watching him work the 909 was a real treat for me.

so yeah, mills rules. i love nights like that where i am transported back to a time when techno could soothe my soul.
also wanted to say that it was a real treat to meet xopus last night! you were great company (go nelfty!). hope your knee is alright.

p.s. sobe adrenaline is waaaaay better than red bull. it tastes like passion fruit Sumol!

sobe-arush.jpg

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
p.s. the club was packed but it wasn't hot. i've never seen that before. very impressive a/c system!
and the bathrooms were clean. shock and awe.

billy

TRIBE Member
great review. pacha nyc has had some big time drama going on since day one. i'm a bit surprised too that you would find mills playing there, but sounds like it was one heck of a party. how does their dynacord sound? i'm pretty sure that's the only NYC installation.

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
i thought the system was great. it sounded great on the dancefloor and it sounded great on the 3rd floor balcony too.
but i went without earplugs and my ears were friggin RINGING when i got home.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

JOSHB

TRIBE Member
Nice review Liz! All reports from friends gave similar reports. Did you catch any of Tim or Camia downstairs? Really jerked I didn't make it. Ahhhhh well. Still in town?*

*Cielo tonight?

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
JOSHB said:
Nice review Liz! All reports from friends gave similar reports. Did you catch any of Tim or Camia downstairs? Really jerked I didn't make it. Ahhhhh well. Still in town?*

*Cielo tonight?

fuck, i wish. my flight leaves this afternoon.

JOSHB

TRIBE Member
From an email today:

Well I was planning on writing a one page review of how lame you are for not coming, but I’ll just give the abbreviated version for now. You missed what was probably the best night in NYC in about two years. People were so pissed that they were literally bouncing of the walls. Mills went on a 909 solo that almost made Dave cry, and made me run into a pillar. Many fists raised in the air. My legs and neck still hurt a lot. I only drank about five beers because I couldn’t even leave the dancefloor to re-up. In short, you suck. Sorry bro.

Fats Mcgee

Biggest party regret evar.

She_Fitz

TRIBE Member
Running into the pillars @ Pacha is quite tolerable.. they are padded for extra comfort. :D Found myself bouncing off them for fun.

What I liked best about Pacha was the water fountain outside the bathroom to refill your water bottle.