1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Jazz Mafia at Harbourfront

Discussion in 'Event Reviews' started by mrtunes, Jul 3, 2010.

1. mrtunes

mrtunes TRIBE Member

I will go one for one with Erika today. I was supposed to head down to Scofield at the main tent but instead i took a detour down to harbourfront for the 40 piece Jazz Mafia from San Francisco.

i don't want to go too harsh on this group, it's a very ambitious project, with just as many strings as there are horns. i just found it very much the same as the Herbaliser, but not even as good. and think about how long ago the herbaliser's sound was current.

i still like hip-hop and its fusion with jazz and orchestral, and i'm not saying that every new project has to be up with the times. but at least make an effort to know what is going on if you are going to sell your project as this kind of fusion between traditional and modern.

even worse, near the end of the show they said we're going to do "something called a ballad" that you might not have heard before. and also introducing us to a very rare instrument called the "accordion". all the young people and old certainly know what those two things are.

collaborating with someone like mark de clive lowe or king britt could yield some amazing results from this group, but in the meantime i wasn't very impressed.

some toronto people were part of the group last night too like your standard nick brownman ali.

i didn't pay anything and considering how big the group was - that's an amazing feat whoever pulled that off.

Jazz Mafia

2. erika

erika TRIBE Member

^
    so reasonable value for the money, but only just? :p

3. mrtunes

mrtunes TRIBE Member

yeah some songs were really good, but there are other things that you come across in a performance sometimes that just end up making you dislike it.

overall i think i'm going to spend more time at harbourfront this summer. it's a great way to keep hearing music and not have to pay so much cover. so many of the events are free.