• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Jasper/Banff

Incrimin8

TRIBE Member
The wife and I are heading west for a few weeks this summer. First time west for me. We are going from Edmonton, through the Jasper/ Banff area and eventually making our way to Vancouver.

Hotels and motels out there are a bit pricey so I'm looking for recommendations on camping sites that fellow tribers have had good experiences at. There are thousands online to choose from which makes picking one out a little difficult.

Any suggestions?

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

oeretS

TRIBE Member
myself and the gf are doing the same thing in a few weeks, we too were astounded by the hotel rates, $300 per night is actually a modest price.

I'll be digging pretty heavily into this on the weekend, will advise if i run into anything good

djglobalkiller

TRIBE Promoter
while on tour with 2 djs, we stayed in canmore alberta, which is kinda just before banff, and a bit cheaper to be honest. altho canmore is getting a bit bigger and more expensive, it is still priced cheaper than banff.

revelstoke was this cool little train town on the bc/alberta border pretty much, its prolly really cheap there, and you could learn a bit about the railway being built thru the rockies etc etc.

kelowna is a good place to stay too, they party hard there, and the scenery is beautiful.
in vancouver i stayed in surrey at a hotel, and then stayed in the newwestminister area of vancouver. Make sure you plan enough time to go down to granville island, as it is truly a unique place to visit

hope you have fun!!!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

SonorouS

TRIBE Member
Incrimin8 said:
hostels are looking good too...around $60 a night

the hostel in lake louise is ranked as one of the best hostels in the world... the lodging is decent and the food is GREAT (the breakfast burritos are amazing).

if the timing is right try camping here. HIGHLY RECOMENDED.

new to t.o.

TRIBE Member
I worked at Whistler & Wapiti campgrounds in Jasper. Wapiti is smaller so I'd go with that one. I think Whistler is the biggest campground in N.A. The chances of camping next to partiers is much bigger (if you want to avoid it, that is).

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
I got a ton of information from BC/Alberta tourist information centres... We have to really look into it this weekend. I think I have an extra copy of the "Outdoors Accomadations Guide" if you wanted to grab it...

But we will report back to ya if we find anything super fantastic...

Incrimin8

TRIBE Member
we did look at the wapiti campgrounds, so might reserve there.

we will be around lake louise for canada day...so crashing the charleston sounds like a must

also now looking at places around Revelstoke for a night

Yourmamas

TRIBE Member
When I worked at JPL, we would just wonder into the bush, and set up a tent. They told us we could, and never had any problems. Not too sure if it was just for employees, or what, but it worked.

All that said, I went and visited Jasper last summer, and the cheap rooms were 5 hundy a night, so we just slept on my friends floor.

http://www.athabascahotel.com/

This place is cheap. but I really only recommend drinking here.

Muad'ib

Well-Known TRIBEr
new to t.o. said:
I worked at Whistler & Wapiti campgrounds in Jasper. Wapiti is smaller so I'd go with that one. I think Whistler is the biggest campground in N.A. The chances of camping next to partiers is much bigger (if you want to avoid it, that is).

shut the fuck up! when? with whom? i work for parks right now!!

Muad'ib

Well-Known TRIBEr
if anyone needs trip planning advice for jasper and area PM me and i'll give you the low down. if you come through jasper, stop by the info centre and say hi!

~Loress~

TRIBE Member
oeretS said:
myself and the gf are doing the same thing in a few weeks, we too were astounded by the hotel rates, $300 per night is actually a modest price.

I'll be digging pretty heavily into this on the weekend, will advise if i run into anything good

man its hard to believe we were planning this trip for this time just last year... and now im living out west! :)

dont forget matching tshirts & waterguns.. :p

JayIsBored

TRIBE Member
we're mostly doing yoho in b.c. this year. but when we were in banff last year we stayed at the castle mountain campground. it had running water, no rvs and annoying kids and was a 2 minute drive to a place to get beer and marshmellows. our site was right next to a stream so we kept our budweisers chilled at all times!

Muad'ib

Well-Known TRIBEr
new to t.o. said:
I went there when I was 17 & stayed for several years in the early 90s, young pup. :)

i am going to send you a PM but i lived/worked with Mich last summer actually.

small world.

coleridge

TRIBE Member
Incrimin8 said:
we did look at the wapiti campgrounds, so might reserve there.

we will be around lake louise for canada day...so crashing the charleston sounds like a must

also now looking at places around Revelstoke for a night

Hey Scott, Kimberley and I did the Calgary to Victoria drive two years ago. If you can, try and duck south in the Okanagan and spend some time in the south Okanagen. South of Kelowna there are some great places like Summerland (where some of my family is), Penticton and Osoyoos. The orchards and vineyards are gorgeous during the summer.

Incrimin8

TRIBE Member
coleridge said:
Hey Scott, Kimberley and I did the Calgary to Victoria drive two years ago. If you can, try and duck south in the Okanagan and spend some time in the south Okanagen. South of Kelowna there are some great places like Summerland (where some of my family is), Penticton and Osoyoos. The orchards and vineyards are gorgeous during the summer.

nice, we are going that way! Definately will be checking out a few wineries south of kelowna

Maud'ib...is there just one info centre? If so we'll definately be stopping by once we get to jasper ( should be june 30th)