• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

James Zabiela?

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

mandapanda

TRIBE Member
james "magic fingers" zabiela ;)

he was fantastic, much better than in november at system. i didn't stay for his whole set cos i was too tired, but i think perhaps it was the best i've heard from him yet. played a brilliant remix of FSOL - papua new guinea and Depeche Mode - world in my eyes. almost didn't go, but i'm glad i dragged my sick ass out of the house to see him. it's just too bad it wasn't elsewhere, although i did manage to not kill anyone even though i was not even allowed to have a drink or two to provide as a buffer against the gurning masses. i think i deserve a gold star.

shiftah

TRIBE Member
i was completely expecting a night of progressive low key tunes- boy was I wrong. James Zabiela owned it last night slammin funky like it was goin outta style, and dropping Breakfastaz - "The Pressure" at the end was gorgeous

definitely fun

loopdokter

TRIBE Promoter
Re: james "magic fingers" zabiela ;)

Originally posted by mandapanda
Depeche Mode - world in my eyes.

That's the Cicada remix and he's been playing it for months. Don't you remember he played it at System? Oh right, you were too drunk. :p

[gloating]I'm gonna see him umpteen times in Miami so I'm not too worried I missed out on this. [/gloating]

Cheers,
J<

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Kalemic

TRIBE Promoter
Re: james "magic fingers" zabiela ;)

he was fantastic, much better than in november at system. i didn't stay for his whole set cos i was too tired, but i think perhaps it was the best i've heard from him yet. played a brilliant remix of FSOL - papua new guinea and Depeche Mode - world in my eyes. almost didn't go, but i'm glad i dragged my sick ass out of the house to see him. it's just too bad it wasn't elsewhere, although i did manage to not kill anyone even though i was not even allowed to have a drink or two to provide as a buffer against the gurning masses. i think i deserve a gold star.

What was the remix of FSOL? Was it a new one?

FoxyM

TRIBE Member
Ryan and I walked into the Guvernment around 2am. There was no lineup outside. After waiting about 20 minutes at the coat check, we walked into the main room which was packed. Scoped the place out a little and noticed that Zabiela was already up and playing.

We found ourselves a little space where we could dance near the middle of the room. Unfortunately, it was so packed that it was really hard to dance and people kept shoving us as they walked by (yes, please, put your hands on my breasts as you shove me out of your way).

We decided to move up because we were in an awkward spot and we wanted to check out the crowd a little more. We ended up finding a nice little spot near the front of the room where we could actually move and weren't getting pushed around too much. I finally started to enjoy the music. It wasn't quite what I expected. A little more funky which was a good thing. I found it hard to get his flow sometimes - his transitions seemed a little abrupt. He played a remix of Unkle's Reign. That song has so much potential and it just felt like that track didn't get the attention I would've liked it to get. He did a bit of a scratch routine at some point after World In My Eyes (not sure what time it was at that point - probably 3:30am) and it was pretty cool. I wish the DJ booth wasn't so high up so that we could actually see him spin. He's an interesting DJ to watch and I just feel like that element was lost seeing that he was up in the DJ booth which is way too far above the crowd.

The crowd wasn't as friendly as at other clubs in the city. I also found that in general I was busting my moves and then I'd look around and the crowd was hardly even bobbing. Come on people, shake yo' asses! We found a couple of people who seemed to be a little more inspired to dance and danced next to them / with them for a while.

We ended up leaving a little earlier than I thought we would - it must've been around 4:15am.

It's been a while since the smoking ban has been in effect and even though sometimes people light up at clubs I still come home feeling good (I'm allergic to smoke) and not smelling like shit. After Zabiela my clothes reeked of smoke and I could definitely feel it in my throat.

I'm not a big fan of the guvernment and Saturday night just reinforced that feeling. They need to stop packing it that full. The crowd seemed to be uninspired (or maybe uninspiring might be a better word) and in general left me wishing I was seeing Zabiela at System or Boa instead.

DoRK

TRIBE Member
Sorry to hear that the crowd didn't co-operate with ya there on Sat night.

You just gotta be an aggressive dancer and hike up yer elbows high and control the dance space around ya.

I know whatcha mean tho /w the crappy ppl shovin you outta the way ... cuz they don't dance, they just make laps all night.

I just dance at the perimeters of each room.
Shifta and myself made some really good dance space near the stage and in the chillout room /w the fuzzy walls (I always forget the name of that room).

Zabiela's set was awesome ... Guvernment shud have a resident breaks DJ along /w Mark Oliver.

And that chillout room ... they shud maybe put a breaks DJ there instead to get more ppl up n dancin + movin ... ... damn couch surfers ... GET UP n DANCE!

:D

Great night... can't wait for Decadence

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
Guvernment was actually less busy than usual on Saturday night. You guys got off easy this weekend. :p

Anyhow, I thought James Zabiela played well overall depite a few slow spots here and there. The breaks portion was interesting but not upbeat enough to keep me dancing. Nonetheless, I thoroughly enjoyed the remainder and thought he maintained a better flow than back in November at System. Thumbs up.

James Zabiela definitely polished the bishop on Saturday!

james-zabiela-alive.jpg

DoRK

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by FoxyM

The crowd wasn't as friendly as at other clubs in the city. I also found that in general I was busting my moves and then I'd look around and the crowd was hardly even bobbing. Come on people, shake yo' asses! We found a couple of people who seemed to be a little more inspired to dance and danced next to them / with them for a while.

Was the guy in that couple wearin a black hat and an orange shirt? :D

FoxyM

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by DoRK
Was the guy in that couple wearin a black hat and an orange shirt? :D
i don't think so - I can't really remember. The girl was wearing a mesh top and a jean skirt though.

mandapanda

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: james "magic fingers" zabiela ;)

Originally posted by Kalemic
What was the remix of FSOL? Was it a new one?

i really have no clue, i wish i did! it was quite breaky, but that really doesn't help at all, does it?

mandapanda

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: james "magic fingers" zabiela ;)

Originally posted by loopdokter
That's the Cicada remix and he's been playing it for months. Don't you remember he played it at System? Oh right, you were too drunk. :p

actually, i never said i didn't remember hearing it...yes, i was drunk, but not so much that i'd forget hearing depeche mode :p

Kalemic

TRIBE Promoter
Re: Re: Re: james "magic fingers" zabiela ;)

i really have no clue, i wish i did! it was quite breaky, but that really doesn't help at all, does it?

Oh, maybe it was the older Hybrid mix. Anyone else know?

mandapanda

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: james "magic fingers" zabiela ;)

Originally posted by Kalemic
Oh, maybe it was the older Hybrid mix. Anyone else know?

i don't think it was that one, that's the only one i know.

shiftah

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by loopdokter
I believe that's by Mylo unless they did it under a different name?

Cheers,
J<

nah, it was definitley the Breakfastaz v.
it's on the "passenger" label

;)

Chicago Kid

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ShiFtAh
dropping Breakfastaz - "The Pressure" at the end was gorgeous

FUCKIN TUNE!!!

I have this record...and I fuckin love it. I can't believe that James dropped it. I would love to hear this shit at the end of the night on a massive system. Anybody got pics from the night?

Kalemic

TRIBE Promoter
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: james "magic fingers" zabiela ;)

i don't think it was that one, that's the only one i know.

Ohhhh, the thought of a new PNG mix makes me all fuzzy and bubbly inside!!!

peko

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Chicago Kid
FUCKIN TUNE!!!

I have this record...and I fuckin love it. I can't believe that James dropped it. I would love to hear this shit at the end of the night on a massive system. Anybody got pics from the night?

A little bird told me a Triber partied with JZ after the Guv and has picutres to post!!!

Chicago Kid

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by peko
A little bird told me a Triber partied with JZ after the Guv and has picutres to post!!!

Well then, you should tell that little bird to get that Triber's arse in gear and post those pics, so I can see how good 'ol James is doing these days. Prob still drinking his chocolate milk and Red Bulls.

Karim

TRIBE Member
It was my buddy pat's 24th birthday on saturday, so we had a decent sized crew come up. Here is the night in pictures.

IMG_4149.jpg

IMG_4141.jpg

IMG_4140.jpg

IMG_4113.jpg

IMG_4120.jpg

IMG_4143.jpg

IMG_4148.jpg

IMG_4118.jpg

IMG_4139.jpg

:)
Karim

Karim

TRIBE Member
Last night, I was invited to join JZ and a bunch of people at the Hot House Cafe for dinner. So I got Zoo (Phil) to join me and we went up. Here is the night in pictures.

IMG_4170.jpg

IMG_4179.jpg

IMG_4185.jpg

IMG_4183.jpg

IMG_4186.jpg

IMG_4187.jpg

IMG_4169.jpg

zabiela.jpg

Karim

Last edited:

Karim

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Chicago Kid
Well then, you should tell that little bird to get that Triber's arse in gear and post those pics, so I can see how good 'ol James is doing these days. Prob still drinking his chocolate milk and Red Bulls.

He actually drank Coca-Cola last night.

:eek: << I had too many beers.
Karim

loopdokter

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Karim
Last night, I was invited to join JZ and a bunch of people at the Hot House Cafe for dinner. So I got Zoo (Phil) to join me and we went up. Here is the night in pictures.

IMG_4170.jpg

IMG_4179.jpg

IMG_4185.jpg

IMG_4183.jpg

IMG_4186.jpg

IMG_4187.jpg

IMG_4169.jpg

zabiela.jpg

Karim

I just have to reiterate how AWESOME these pics are.

Is Peko in any of these par chance?

Cheers,
J<