• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

James Lavelle GU 23

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

JayIsBored

TRIBE Member
too funny reading all the fucksticks on the GU board complain about trivial stuff like the cover typography and the pic of lavelle in a parka , MORONS! lol

MachoMan

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by JayIsBored
too funny reading all the fucksticks on the GU board complain about trivial stuff like the cover typography and the pic of lavelle in a parka , MORONS! lol

Who you calling a 'fuckstick'? Then again I wasn't really complaining, I was exercising my right as a designer to cut up other people's work. :p

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

JayIsBored

TRIBE Member
haha i agree it's fugly, like some guy got a bunch of new fonts and wanted to use them :p but they're prejudging the comp based on stuff like that.

xtollo

TRIBE Member
^ The GU board has always been too picky. Always over emphasizing the most minor details just to stir up some kind of drama. Long live board elitists who have no friends.

Special K

TRIBE Member
haha i agree it's fugly, like some guy got a bunch of new fonts and wanted to use them :p but they're prejudging the comp based on stuff like that.

Naaaaaaaaa I think the cover looks keeeeeeewl...

rentboy

TRIBE Member
finally gave his Fabric mix a shot tonight...i am so impressed...he covers so many genres...

the way it should be.

RyanMarcus

TRIBE Member
I'm not so sure I agree with the whole diversity thang...

Under most circumstances, I want my prog and prog-influenced material continuous and uninterrupted. Otherwise the whole continuity of a set is rather thrown by the wayside. Unless of course this 'discontinuity' can be considered a 'continuity' in itself.

Fuck. One week back at school and look what happens to my writing...

I don't know though. Perhaps I'm just more of a traditionalist. I like good music yes, but utilizing many varieties of good music in a set really doesn't do it for me. Fuck Pete Tong. The ecclectic just isn't my thing.

RyanMarcus

TRIBE Member
^^^^^
Mind you, I'm not saying I'm in favour of another Nick Warren GU or anything either, as that would be incredibly ridiculous. I did not buy his first GU, nor any of the other eight or nine ;)

I definitely think that GU's idea of bringing in a new artist was a good one, as that is very much needed to renew interest in the series (short of another Digweed or Sasha installment of course). But I think Lavalle is a little too much of a departure... However, I should probably listen to some of his material before I make this comment with any definite fervor. From observing tracklistings and such though, I would have to agree with someone else's comment from above, in that this will probably be recieved as well as Emerson's contributions to the series (ie. with limited interest and distasteful commentary).

I'll come back to this though, once I've listened to this highly esteemed Fabric CD...

deep

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by RyanMarcus
I'm not so sure I agree with the whole diversity thang...

Under most circumstances, I want my prog and prog-influenced material continuous and uninterrupted. Otherwise the whole continuity of a set is rather thrown by the wayside. Unless of course this 'discontinuity' can be considered a 'continuity' in itself.

Fuck. One week back at school and look what happens to my writing...

I don't know though. Perhaps I'm just more of a traditionalist. I like good music yes, but utilizing many varieties of good music in a set really doesn't do it for me. Fuck Pete Tong. The ecclectic just isn't my thing.

What role then does creativity hold for you in music?

I understand the point you're trying to make. At the same time, don't you think that the reason why progressive is sometimes passed off as being boring is because of how even handed people try and make it be?

If there is anyone who can pull off bringing in multidimensional elements into a mix from a variety of genres, it's Lavelle. His contributions to music during the trip hop era and behind the Unkle moniker are a testament to the man's ability to think beyond the lines but still have the sound created be accessible. I don't think you should be worried about global underground turning into a glitch pop or IDM series. It sure could use a kick in the ass though, like the progressive genre as a whole. I don't see anything wrong with pushing the envelope a bit, if anything, I think that's exactly what people should be doing.

H2Whoa

TRIBE Member

wow. who fucking cares what it looks like. they should start buying Boston albums instead.

RyanMarcus

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by deep

What role then does creativity hold for you in music?

I understand the point you're trying to make. At the same time, don't you think that the reason why progressive is sometimes passed off as being boring is because of how even handed people try and make it be?

If there is anyone who can pull off bringing in multidimensional elements into a mix from a variety of genres, it's Lavelle. His contributions to music during the trip hop era and behind the Unkle moniker are a testament to the man's ability to think beyond the lines but still have the sound created be accessible. I don't think you should be worried about global underground turning into a glitch pop or IDM series. It sure could use a kick in the ass though, like the progressive genre as a whole. I don't see anything wrong with pushing the envelope a bit, if anything, I think that's exactly what people should be doing.

I'm really questioning the need to depart from the 'progressive realm' in order to push the so-called envelope. I will not disagree with you -- thinking beyond the lines often leads to some of the most worthwhile and innovative results. And I definitely have no problem with incorporating various foreign elements into something to make it unique and different, but to depart from the 'progressive realm' entirely, essentially feels like a vote of non-confidence in the genre itself -- something that I do not agree with in the least.

Progressive as a genre is definitely not in need of the so-called 'kick-in-the-ass' right now. There is an incredible amount of good music around these days. Which is of course contrary to the situation a few months ago, when many became fed up with the whole monotonous plodding sound (and rightly so!). At that point, prog did need that 'kick-in-the-ass', and I think this Lavelle sojourn is more a product of that backlash than anything else.

So, pushing the envelope is definitely a good thing. And it is definitely necessary in all things, at all times -- music being no execption. But I do not see the need to depart from the progressive genre entirely in order to achieve this. That is not necessary in the least, and to have it come from an organization as reputable as GU? Disturbing. Of anyone, they should know better...

Digweed for GU 24. The man can do no wrong.

xtollo

TRIBE Member
Way too much politics for a compilation. I doubt the G.U people put half as much thought into this as this one thread states already. I love how we've managed to contemplate the greatness of the album before anyone has heard it.

(but don't get me wrong the tribe banter is always entertaining)
:p

Jon

RuffRyda

TRIBE Member
i just gave disk one and two a listen and i'm quite impressed with his gu. disc one starts with some hip hop, moves onto some prog, and ends with breakz. disc two starts off with some dark driving prog and gets a bit funky and breaky at times. all in all, this is a must have for the cd collection.

sohaness

TRIBE Member
half way through cd1 and it is sounding sooo nice!
hopefully the second half and second cd are both as good as the first half of cd1...

steve.

RyanMarcus

TRIBE Member
Nick Warren? WHY!?!
That's not the Reykjavik (sp?) one is it?
DeepDish I don't mind, but the only thing worse than one -- or two -- or three -- or even four Nick Warren GUs, is a FIFTH Nick Warren GU! What else could go wrong? I understand that they made the mistake of signing him to a five record deal, but why?
:mad: