• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

James Holden!...at Breathe.

chipotle

Well-Known TRIBEr
Alrighty then.. so I will just say write about what I saw while I was there.

In a couple of words:

I had a alot of fun!!!

thank you Jon T. for the guestlist.
thank you system for being the outlet of so much stress.
thank you matt coleridge for playing such such such a wicked opener set. I mean, I dunno if it was because I was enhibriated and all "merry"... but I had a an amazing time to the tunes you were playing. All tight stuff... drummy, techy, deep techy stuff, deep basslines, etc etc. Loved it.
Very very good set by matt coleridge. Had the whole club going before 12:00 am. And I was right in the middle of the dancefloor having an amazing time.

James holden came on and I only saw him for one hour before taking off. He played break in the clouds!!!!... some sort of remix.. but anyways. I had a really good time. James holden seemed to be enjoying himself and dandcing around to the tunes he was playing (well, kind of bopping his head along the tunes). He seemed to be into it so it was good to see that.

Anyways.

Very good night.
I am off to bed.
matt coleridge 4/5 in the warm up department
sorry I only saw the first hour of james holden and he was pretty good... but I can't rate him. however, I was impressed with the stuff he played and the way he was into his set. As I said, the night was made for me when he played break in the clouds. I had fun ..at system and aftewards. :)
hope you all had a wicked night.

oeretS

TRIBE Member
Holden was super dope, played lots from the Balance CD which was nice. Highlight was the first track from disc 1 - soo good.

Whoever came on after just killed the vibe. Too pounding.

deep

TRIBE Member
James Holden is my favourite progressive artist. His Balance 005 comp is my compilation of the year. But his set tonight was fairly unengaging for me. Solid group of people out made it still a great night, but would have preferred if he took it up a notch as I know he is capable of from what I've heard of him this year.

chipotle

Well-Known TRIBEr
i was waiting for him to take it up a notch after an hour and the big big track never came..however... I was pleased and I left happy. maybe is 'cause I haven't been clubbing in a while and it made an impression on me.. however.. he was pretty good IMO.

However, i still think matt coleridge did a great job.
:)

H2Whoa

TRIBE Member
Holden started off funky and started to create a vibe but it sort of went nowhere. It just plodded along, flat-lining except for some trancey stuff that made me go 'huh'? I expected much more but had a great time nevertheless.

Deko-ze brought the energy level up but I just didn't have the legs for it to last.

It was great to put so many faces to names. Thanks Deep you fucking nut. You rock.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Lil'Timmy

TRIBE Promoter
OWWWWWWWWWWW!

My head feels like a cinder block has been cracked over it! From what I can recollect the music was rockin! Thanks the dozens of peeps who managed to load me up in 20 minutes flat last night!!

Specific "Im gonna get you's" to Chu and Ambrish, OWWWWW!
Good night
Back to the porcelean gods.

P.S. Deep, you do rock.

fishbulb

TRIBE Member
If you follow progressive you know the djs kick it up after a few hours, after all the people who don't like progressive have left. Then those people who like progressive tell those who don't like progressive that the dj rocked it large after they had left the people who don't like progressive will never believe them because all they ever hear are the tamer, warmup stuff. It's called the Polkaroo Effect.

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
I know - it was a lighthearted jab at the prog lovers. This was done through the use of an oft-uttered phrase by nonproggers to proggers, which is known to get under their skin.

Notice my use of an emoticon.

DJ Doublecross

TRIBE Member
Holy shit I was drunk and belligerent last night.... good times!

Note to self... people don't fucking care about my sweater! Shut up! :p

Rob

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

fishbulb

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by basic
I know - it was a lighthearted jab at the prog lovers. This was done through the use of an oft-uttered phrase by nonproggers to proggers, which is known to get under their skin.

Notice my use of an emoticon.
I forgot my emoticon to indicate the lightheartedness in my post as well.

:p 's for all

It's very easy to get under the skin of progressive fans by taking shots at their djs :p <--- again

mandapanda

TRIBE Member
um...i loved it! i thought james holden was absolutely fabulous...but maybe that's just me. i couldn't leave the dancefloor for his whole set. i had an excellent time last night.

chipotle

Well-Known TRIBEr
Hey, you went to see a progressive DJ, what did you expect?

:p
yea I guess I should have gone to hear chipmunk music on speed.... sing mY Bo0K pLeSee!

ha ha ha

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
Dear chiptole,

Thank you for allowing your lack of a clue being a constant source of amusement for so many of us here on Tribe.

See you in the car,

Milhouse.

chipotle

Well-Known TRIBEr
Dear chiptole,

Thank you for allowing your lack of a clue being a constant source of amusement for so many of us here on Tribe.

See you in the car,

Milhouse.
lol

I was kidding too.
I got your joke/jab...

You didn't get under my skin with the comment.

Anyways, I just wanted to say that Matt Coleridge did a great job.
Did anyone else like his set?
So many people dancing to his set last night.. some really good tunes were played last night.

zoo

TRIBE Member
James Holden rocked! Plenty of nice melodic tracks, a great crowd, tons of friendly people, good door security ...

And since I'm a bitch I do have one complaint:

System needs to put washrooms outdoors for the guestlist line. I'm very grateful to the one like Coleridge for guest, but damn did I ever have to piss like a racehorse. :p

And FVCK! I can't believe I didn't meet chipotle. That would have made the night perfect.

FoxyM

TRIBE Member
Matt Coleridge

I completely agree. Matt Coleridge's set last night was great. I was amazed at how many people were dancing so early in the night and how he managed to get people out on the dancefloor while the club was still just starting to fill up. I thought his track choices fit the night perfectly.

As for James Holden... what can I say, other than it sounded very Holden and was pretty damn good. I was downstairs when they switched and as soon as I came upstairs I could tell it was Holden spinning. I thought his track choices were good - throwing in a bunch of tracks from Balance as well as throwing in bits and pieces of some of his other stuff. It was hard to get off the dancefloor but after hours of dancing my legs gave out before the end of Holden's set.

It was a great night and I can't wait to see Matt Coleridge spin again next friday!

Aleks

TRIBE Member
last night was pretty rockin @System. i thought holden played fairly well, nothing amazing tho. good time nontheless.

Jon Tremblay

TRIBE Member
I had a wicked time last night!! As always Coleridge did not dissapoint and played a really good openning set, and managed to belt out a few harder tracks to get people rocking it for holden.
As for James Holden...pfffttt I am at lost for words. It has been so long since I have heard such a good set by a guest, definetly at the top of my list of best sets EVER!!. Crowd reaction was stellar, wicked vibe...and to be honest...it has been a long while to have such an appreciative, hands in the air, screamming frenzy of an audience on the floor during Holden's set.... absolutely stellar!
Deko-ze got into it rockin....his shirt didn't last long LOL really enjoyed the breaks tracks he layed down.

I realize that most of you stay in the main room for most of the night. but let me tell you about the VIP room. I brought in Paolo Diablo and Ryan Dunlop from Ottawa to kick things off and did no wrong openning up the room and got the crowd dancing early and kept it going for Jeremy Crack who layed down some harder prog and got the crowd in a picture frenzy hahahah. I took the decks around 3am and closed off what was a great night in the vip room with a full crowd, much respect to all those that supported the vip room!!

BarneyIllfingas

TRIBE Member
Fantastic night. Matt was great. Kinky Funk was incredible. James brought something nice, something fresh, something different, all quality. This was the kind of show that should define Breathe. Unique sounds from an extra special talent.

djcheezwhiz

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by BarneyIllfingas
Fantastic night. Matt was great. Kinky Funk was incredible. James brought something nice, something fresh, something different, all quality. This was the kind of show that should define Breathe. Unique sounds from an extra special talent.
^^^nice...looking forward to the full review...!!!

chipotle

Well-Known TRIBEr
The nicest pictures on the internet with regards to clubbing!

Keep the faith---alive.

Music is my religion....nice shirt mr holden!

:)

Last edited: