• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

J Dilla "tributes" need to stop now

diablo

TRIBE Member
J Dilla tributes are fucking crap. All of them, without exception. Other "artists" need to stop trying to cash in by attaching his name to some half-assed cover version or compilation.

Being the thirteenth person to assemble a Dilla "greatest hits" CD is not new or unique. Making a beat out of some of the same samples that Dilla used is pretty much just plagiarism. Doing a classical cover version of a Dilla beat on a harpsichord is an exercise in wankery.

Notice that there are no A-list hip-hop artists doing Dilla tributes; that's because they probably actually worked with him at some point. It's always some no-name dude from Skokie, Illinois that gets the bright idea. Lame, lame, lame.

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
diablo said:
J Dilla tributes are fucking crap. All of them, without exception. Other "artists" need to stop trying to cash in by attaching his name to some half-assed cover version or compilation.

Being the thirteenth person to assemble a Dilla "greatest hits" CD is not new or unique. Making a beat out of some of the same samples that Dilla used is pretty much just plagiarism. Doing a classical cover version of a Dilla beat on a harpsichord is an exercise in wankery.

Notice that there are no A-list hip-hop artists doing Dilla tributes; that's because they probably actually worked with him at some point. It's always some no-name dude from Skokie, Illinois that gets the bright idea. Lame, lame, lame.

Shout out to Dilla. RIP homie. You were my true friend.
fixed

Sugar D

TRIBE Promoter
Same goes for promoters who do "Dilla Tribute" parties. Some are advertised as having "proceeds going to the Dilla foundation". Guess what? That foundation doesn't exist so the money is either going in their own pocket or somewhere else.

It's sad that a lot of people who praise him, probably couldn't even name 5 productions or tracks he did.

mixupmixup

TRIBE Member
J Dilla tributes are fucking crap. All of them, without exception.
Are you kidding me? While I might agree partially that there have been some questionable things put out. A lot of the dilla tributes have been dope. Especially anything put out on Stonesthrow.

i.e JROCC - DILLA TRIBUTE "Thank You J D"

http://www.divshare.com/download/7060615-f25

:rolleyes:

Being the thirteenth person to assemble a Dilla "greatest hits" CD is not new or unique. Making a beat out of some of the same samples that Dilla used is pretty much just plagiarism.
What? hahaha, lol. It all depends who is putting this out. If you seek out shitty producers/deejays, you'll find it.

Notice that there are no A-list hip-hop artists doing Dilla tributes; that's because they probably actually worked with him at some point. Lame, lame, lame.
:rolleyes:

lol.

A lot of a list artists are too busy letting their labels run their creative process, also they are more concerned with putting out that next 'jiggy' anthem.

and btw, He did tons of beatz for 'a list' kyats before he passed. Do your research playa. :)

I personally cannot wait to see what starts coming out from his lil bros who now has access to Dilla Dogs studio and catalogue.

:eek:

mixupmixup

TRIBE Member
You obviously have not the slightest clue.

I'll leave you with this.

Do yourself a favor and get your hands on it!

"Uh-oh! It's the mixmaster and the beatmaster. There's really no need to convince you that this is worth every dime. Just look at the title. J-Rocc and J.Dilla is probably the dopest hip hop team-up you could ask for. Fluid, tasteful blends and mixes from LA's primo DJ of some of Dilla's choicest cuts. I love how it's not really about J-Rocc, but about putting Dilla's life's work into a clear framework. It starts from instrumentals to production, then tracks known and unknown. A couple times during the mix, I'd ask myself, "Damn! He produced that track too?" This is definitely a must-have for the fans at any level. Recommended."

Acts 1-4, get to know

mixupmixup

TRIBE Member
PRIMO, YES!

Ever hear the 5 deadley mixtape back in the day?

Heres the Primo section.

n_jOI :)

Grandwizard Theodore & Kenny-Kev Rockwell - Military Cut (1982)
Busy Bee vs Kool Moe Dee - Live at The Harlem World (1981)
Double Trouble - Live At The Amphitheater L.E.S. (1982)
Cold Crush - It's Us (Live 1982)
T La Rock - It's Yours (1984)
LL Cool J - I Need A Beat (Jazzy Mix 1984)
Malcolm McLaren & World Famous Supreme Team - Buffalo Gals (1983)
MC Lyte - I Cram To Understand (1986)
Divine Force Crew - Holy War (1987)
DJ Premier - Ending Interlude

http://www.zshare.net/audio/55422371f5c95dc1/