• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

I've discovered a skin care line that actually works..

lucky1

TRIBE Member
Any one else suffering with bad skin this winter? You know dry in some areas, acne prone, dull looking...

Well after a recomendation from the Cosmetics lady at shoppers I tried out a brand from France (called Laroche Posay) which is made by doctors to treat a variety of skin problems mostly frocusing on Acne issues and problems associated with using the products availabel to treat it. They were kind of expensive, (like $25 / face wash and $25 / mousterizer.

I have some of the most sensitive skin of anyone I've had no reactions or anything.

Just a heads up and I recomend these prodocts.:)

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

dicksherwood

TRIBE Member
Nice one, I was just going to post a complaint this morning about how nothing I do controls the dry skin around my eyes, then ask for a help out.

I'll give this stuff a try.

Thanks.

labRat

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Booty Bits
THIS MAN KNOWS!
Uremol 10 saved my life. i love pee cream.
nothin' like a golden shower a day to keep the eczema away.

I asked for a Zima, not Eczima

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by lucky1
a brand from France (called Laroche Posay)[/IMG]
Five people I know tried this and it made their acne like 10X worse, and two of them ended up in the hospital with really bad allergic rashes.

mingster

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: I've discovered a skin care line that actually works..

Originally posted by PosTMOd
Five people I know tried this and it made their acne like 10X worse, and two of them ended up in the hospital with really bad allergic rashes.

fibber!

mingster

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: I've discovered a skin care line that actually works..

Originally posted by dicksherwood69
Nice one, I was just going to post a complaint this morning about how nothing I do controls the dry skin around my eyes, then ask for a help out.

I'll give this stuff a try.

Thanks.

make sure to get yourself an eye cream, and not a face cream.

and don't apply it too close to your tear ducts, or on your eyelids, you'll do more damage than good. an eye cream is supposed to go just above and around your cheek bone and all around to beneath your eyebrows. :)

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Look, people are constanty ripped off at the cosmetics counter, paying for shit.

I found the best cream, and it contains two things: glycerin, and white petrolatum (and water, duh).

If you are paying $25 for cream, look at the nice container you are getting, for that is what you are paying for. Well, that and the marketing (even the guerilla marketing).

Agatka8

TRIBE Member
The best moisturizer that I have ever tried is called Dormer211.
I used to get eczema on the sides of my face, in winter time, and this stuff completely cleared it up!

You can only get it at the pharmacy and you have to ask for it.
(without presc.)
It's $12 a bottle 250ml I think.... and lasts about 4-6months.

Last edited:

mingster

TRIBE Member
If you are paying $25 for cream, look at the nice container you are getting, for that is what you are paying for. Well, that and the marketing (even the guerilla marketing).

this is true of MANY cosmetic lines. most times you are paying for the pretty colour, the perfumes, and the glass jars. but there are also MANY lines which are well worth the cash.

gubydal

TRIBE Member
I wouldn't advise petro-chemicals for skin care.

Jojoba oil most resembles the skins natural sebum. You can use it undiluted on your skin without clogging your pores (unlike petroleum products), jojoba oil actually un-clogs your pores. Another alternative is to mix it with other carrier oils for specific complaints ie. carrot seed or borage oil for dry aging skin or chamomile essential oil for sensitive skin.

S

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by gubydal
I wouldn't advise petro-chemicals for skin care.
Why not?

The ones I use are purified to pharmaceutical quality, i.e. to USP or BP or JP, or Ph.Eur standards, which provide better quality standards than ISO, and most definitely better standards than most natural health products.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
I found the best cream, and it contains two things: glycerin, and white petrolatum (and water, duh).

... spoken from someone who is proabalby blessed with naturally clear skin.

The line i'm talking about is not advertised, and comes in pretty no descript packageing. Before shelling out the money the Cosmetics Lady gave me some free samples to try and I liked the results and purchased the product.

Ask for some samples if your not sure how a product will react with your skin.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

gubydal

TRIBE Member
Why not?

The ones I use are purified to pharmaceutical quality, i.e. to USP or BP or JP, or Ph.Eur standards, which provide better quality standards than ISO, and most definitely better standards than most natural health products.
For many reasons,
Petroleum derivatives are not good for your skin and they are not good for our enviroment. They are allergenic; they smother your skin, clog your pores, cause skin irritation and acne; they do not absorb well into the skin, so any potentially beneficial ingredient that may be contained in the product also cannot be absorbed. Petrochemicals pollute our water and destroy marine life. Avoiding petrochemicals is essential for humans, animals, fish, water, land, and air.

Why choose such an un-natural product when there are better, natural and SUSTAINABLE products available?

S

squirrely

TRIBE Member
my skin has never been as bad as it's been for the past year. it's kinda blowing my mind, because i always felt blessed with relatively clear skin and it seems like a cruel joke for this to start up when i am an "adult."

(oh god, i wonder if i'll ever be able to type that word without quotation marks.)

perhaps i will give this stuff a try. i have never really used anything on my face before. just a nice light moisturizer, but i suppose it's no longer doing the trick.

really though: how much is achieving good skin about topical creams and stuff and how much is about being healthy on the *inside*?

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Everything gubydal just said is easily refutable.

Though I usually like pseudo-hippies with their quaint illogical claims based in hearsay and zero science, you are just annoying.

gubydal

TRIBE Member
Other BAD ingerdients in skincare products.

Alcohol
A colorless, volatile, flammable liquid produced by the fermentation of yeast and carbohydrates. Alcohol is used frequently as a solvent and is also found in beverages and medicine. As an ingredient in ingestible products, alcohol may cause body tissues to be more vulnerable to carcinogens. Mouthwashes with an alcohol content of 25 percent or more have been implicated in mouth, tongue, and throat cancers.

Alpha Hydroxy Acid
An organic acid produced by anaerobic respiration. Skin care products containing AHA exfoliate not only dead skin cells, but the skin's protective Barrier as well. Long-term skin damage may result from its use.

Aluminum
A metallic element used extensively in the manufacture of aircraft components, prosthetic devices, and as an ingredient in antiperspirants, antacids, and antiseptics. Aluminum has been linked to Alzheimer’s Disease.

Animal Fat (Tallow)
A type of animal tissue made up of oily solids or semisolids that are water-insoluble esters of glycerol with fatty acids. Animal fats and lye are the chief ingredients in bar soap, a cleansing and emulsifying product that may act as a breeding ground for bacteria.

Bentonite
A porous clay that expands to many times it's dry volume as it absorbs water. Bentonite, commonly found in many cosmetic foundations may clog pores and suffocate the skin.

Collagen
An insoluble fibrous protein that is too large to penetrate the skin. The collagen found in most skin care products is derived from animal skins and ground up chicken feet. This ingredient forms a layer of film that may suffocate the skin.

Diethanolamine (DEA)
A colorless liquid or crystalline alcohol that is used as a solvent, emulsifier, and detergent (wetting agent). DEA works as an emollient in skin softening lotions or as a humectant in other personal care products. When found in products containing nitrates, it reacts chemically with the nitrates to form potentially carcinogenic nitrosamines. Although earlier studies seemed to indicate that DEA itself was not a carcinogen, more recent studies show its carcinogenic potential, even in formulations that exclude nitrates. DEA may also irritate the skin and mucous membranes. Neways also avoids using other ethanolamines in its products: triethanolamine (TEA) and monoethanolamine (MEA).

Dioxins
A potentially carcinogenic by-product that results from the process used to beach paper at paper mills. Dioxin-treated containers sometimes transfer dioxins to the product itself. (See Sodium Laureth Sulfate.)

Elastin of High-molecular Weight
A protein similar to collagen that is the main component of elastic fibers. Elastin is also derived from animal sources. Its effect on the skin is similar to collagen.

Fluorocarbons
A colorless, nonflammable gas or liquid that can produce mild upper respiratory tract irritation. Fluorocarbons are commonly used as a propellant in hairsprays.

Formaldehyde
A toxic, colorless gas that is an irritant and a carcinogen. When combined with water, formaldehyde is used as a disinfectant, fixative, or preservative. Formaldehyde is found in many cosmetic products and conventional nail care systems.

Glycerin
A syrupy liquid that is chemically produced by combining water and fat. Unless the humidity of air is over 65 percent, glycerin draws moisture from the lower layers of the skin and holds it on the surface, which dries the skin from the inside out. Although potentially harmful in skin care products, when applied inside the moist cavity of the mouth, its properties as a humectant are potentially beneficial. Glycerin helps dental products retain moisture, as well as improve product consistency and spreadability-without negative effects.

Kaolin
A fine white clay used in making porcelain. Like bentonite, kaolin smothers and weakens the skin.

Lanolin
A fatty substance extracted from wool which is frequently found in cosmetics and lotions.

Lye
A highly concentrated watery solution of sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide. Lye is combined with animal fats to make bar soaps, which may corrode and dry out the skin.

Mineral Oil
A derivative of crude oil (petroleum) that is used industrially as a cutting fluid and lubricating oil. Mineral oil forms an oily film over skin to lock in moisture, but traps in toxins and wastes, and hinders normal skin respiration by keeping oxygen out.

Petrolatum
A petroleum-based grease that is used industrially as a grease component. Petroleum exhibits many of the same potentially harmful properties as mineral oil.

Propylene Glycol
A cosmetic form of mineral oil found in automatic brake and hydraulic fluid, and industrial antifreeze. In skin and hair care products propylene glycol works as a humectant, which is a substance that retains the moisture content of skin or cosmetic products by preventing the escape of moisture or water. Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) warn users to avoid skin contact with propylene glycol as this strong skin irritant can cause liver abnormalities and kidney damage.

Sodium Lauryl Sulfate(SLS)
Harsh detergents and wetting agents used in garage floor cleaners, engine degreasers, and auto cleaning products. SLS is well-known in the scientific community as a common skin irritant. It is rapidly absorbed and retained in the eyes, brain, heart, and liver, which may result in harmful long-term effects. SLS could retard healing, cause cataracts in adults, and keep children's eyes from developing properly.

Sodium Laureth Sulfate(SLES)
SLES is the alcohol form (ethoxylated) of SLS. It is slightly less irritating than SLS, but may cause more drying. Both SLS and SLES may cause potentially carcinogenic formations of nitrates and dioxins to form in shampoos and cleansers by reacting with other product ingredients. Large amounts of nitrates may enter the blood system from just one shampooing.

Talc
A soft gray-green mineral used in some personal hygiene and cosmetics products. Inhaling talc may be harmful as this substance is recognized as a potential carcinogen.