• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

It's turning into an epidemic :(

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
a bit different in this case.
he ran, then put his hands in his pockets when asked to put his hands up.
then, he wrestled with the cop, and tried removing his hands from his pockets ( with something in there ) when told to keep his hands in in his pockets.
if he had a prescription for those pills, okay, but if he was dealing, then i don't see anything happening here.

Ho||yw0oD

TRIBE Member
My hunch is that incident frequency is the same, but reporting frequency has increased. Awareness is a good thing, though.

erika

TRIBE Member
The quote at the end says it all for me though:

"It gives the impression that it's open season for killing black men," Hart said. "We need to take a deeper dive into why police officers are feeling compelled to shoot and kill as opposed to apprehend and detain, arrest and jail."

Why kill the guy?

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
If we're just going by the facts in the article it sounds like they were wrestling when the officer fired the shots. Not easy to aim and wrestle at the same time. If the suspect is reaching in his pocket the officer have to defend himself also.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

kuba

TRIBE Member
erika, hyperbole much?

An epidemic (from Greek ἐπί epi "upon or above" and δῆμος demos "people") is the rapid spread of infectious disease to a large number of persons in a given population within a short period of time, usually two weeks or less.

djfear

TRIBE Member
I took think the frequency is probably the same, maybe even less, but with an increase of camera phones and more surveillance you'll see more of this shit.

derek

TRIBE Member
it's always been happening, it's just getting better media attention (or the right media).

i wouldn't go as far as to call it an epidemic, although i understand the sentiment. it's a huge social issue that been swept under the rug for decades.

Rocky

TRIBE Member
Epidemic: a sudden, widespread occurrence of a particular undesirable phenomenon
The only reason we can't really call it an epidemic is, by definition, an epidemic is a sudden occurrence. It likely only appears to be sudden due to the level of news coverage these events have only now been getting.

That really sad thing is that this might be the best it has been to be a black man in America. And that's pretty fucked up.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Maybe "long-running epidemic"?

There is certainly a persistent "epidemic" of young black men filling the prisons and satisfying demand for $2/day prison labour. You can't become the world's leading jailer without some kind of "epidemic" fueling it.

I would situate this police brutality in the larger context of a black underclass under siege from an escalating drug war. Whether shootings of black men today by police represent a true epidemic or not is besides the point: the shit is cray cray, and sits in a larger context of ongoing shit that's cray cray

Rocky

TRIBE Member
I would situate this police brutality in the larger context of a black underclass under siege from an escalating drug war. Whether shootings of black men today by police represent a true epidemic or not is besides the point: the shit is cray cray, and sits in a larger context of ongoing shit that's cray cray
There's also the for-profit prison system and the militarization of the police forces, all of which are pretty interlinked. We're starting to sound like conspiracy theorists.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

derek

TRIBE Member
there's a lot of money involved for sure. not conspiracy though (like 911 truthers, chemtrail kooks etc). it's very well documented. even the penal system profits from keeping a certain segment of society down.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Prison industrial complex

I like that term cause it is a perfect example of the dynamics of the MIC just in another context.

And yes, war on drugs

Rocky

TRIBE Member
The problem with Alex Jones is that he says a lot of things that make a lot of sense, but then he slips in a whole bunch of garbage. I liken it to a religion. Religions do the exact same thing. Thou shall not kill, love thy neighbour, talking snake.

erika

TRIBE Member
If you haven't watched this, please do: an amazing response to the Eric Garner killing:
[YOUTUBE]FpfTos6NroM[/YOUTUBE]

erika

TRIBE Member
erika, hyperbole much?

An epidemic (from Greek ἐπί epi "upon or above" and δῆμος demos "people") is the rapid spread of infectious disease to a large number of persons in a given population within a short period of time, usually two weeks or less.
Well, three shootings of unarmed black men in a few days, with grand juries not even letting these things go to trial warrants a bit of that in my view.

I'm not black, but I wouldn't want to be.

De Blasio draws upon family experience to console NYC - The Globe and Mail