• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

It's Primary Season

Vote Quimby

TRIBE Member
The first Democratic primary goes tomorrow in Iowa.

A Des Moines Register poll released Sunday showed Kerry a narrow front-runner at 26 percent of likely caucus participants, with Edwards right behind at 23 percent, followed by Dean at 20 percent and Gephardt at 18 percent.
Let the fun begin.

Vote Quimby

TRIBE Member
If it helps, it's an error margin of +/- 4%.

Not sure how much the Iowa primary means since Clark didn't even bother campaigning here.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

~atp~

TRIBE Member
haha, are you guys watching this?! On CNN, Kerry says:

"BLA BLA BLA. BLA BLA BLA BLA!!! BLA? bla bla blablablabla, bla bla! BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA!!!!!"

EDIT: It reminds of the Simpsons episode where Bart and Lisa face off in a hockey match. In the crowd, people are cheering for the teams, then the old guy falls down the stairs, and people cheer for him. They'll cheer for anything!!

kerouacdude

TRIBE Member
I said months ago Edwards was gonna be a factor.

Yeah, the primary thing ain't exactly always reliable. Paul Tsongas beat Clinton in '92 in one of the states (New Hampshire, I think).

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
Watched this last night, I was surprised at Deans poor showing, 3rd. But then again being the focus of the other Democrats attacks he seemed pretty happy with his results.

I think personally Clark is running for VP, actually not sure why he is running. Im an army guy, and Clark's record of his military career isnt that hot anyway. Read "War in a time of Peace". Gives a great account of his career, more specifically his role as NATO Commander.

Joe Lieberman should really drop out, for some reason he just bothers me. Edwards is pretty charismatic, I wouldn't be surprised if he goes all the way as one of the top candidates. He seems on the forefront of quite a few of the issues. Besides when was the last time the Democratic nominee wasn't from the south? But overall he is pretty inexperienced, perhaps maybe someone running mate?

As for Gephardt, he is done, out of money, out of steam.

As for Kerry, its a tough call, he has an impressive record. But I think he is too old school to make that much of an impact with voters. They have heard the same story from him before.

The race is starting to get interesting, but there is a long way to go.

Oh to clarify, can someone please explain how this caucus thing works? From my understanding at one of these things the percentage of voters you get, is the amount of delegates that get sent to the Democratic Convention to select the nominee?

kerouacdude

TRIBE Member
yeah, because of the whole south thing, Edwards or Clark (though I see clark as more of a Sec of State type) has to be the veep selection if they don't win the nomination

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ChrisD
Oh to clarify, can someone please explain how this caucus thing works? From my understanding at one of these things the percentage of voters you get, is the amount of delegates that get sent to the Democratic Convention to select the nominee?
A primary and a caucus basically accomplish the same thing (ie., selecting delegates according to the percentage of votes). However, they differ in the actual voting process.

For a primary, voters simply show up at voting stations and cast their ballots much like any other kind of election. For a caucus, there is no secret ballot. You physically stand in a room and group yourselves by candidate to be counted by the caucus chairman.

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by AdRiaN
A primary and a caucus basically accomplish the same thing (ie., selecting delegates according to the percentage of votes). However, they differ in the actual voting process.

For a primary, voters simply show up at voting stations and cast their ballots much like any other kind of election. For a caucus, there is no secret ballot. You physically stand in a room and group yourselves by candidate to be counted by the caucus chairman.
In other words, it's a parade. Where people get to feel important...and then everything goes back to the way it was before...

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Adam

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ChrisD
From my understanding at one of these things the percentage of voters you get, is the amount of delegates that get sent to the Democratic Convention to select the nominee?
Also, as a side note, in some states all of the delegates are awarded to the winning candidate, while others the delegates are distributed based on vote percentages.

From Saturday's Globe:

Everything You Need To Know About The US Primary System

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
hahaha... i can't wait to get home where i can hear dean's scream.

as for me, i haven't been following the debates enough to care which one of these whiny losers will lead the democrats to their next humiliating defeat at the hands of the republicans.

they're all bitches to me, none of them fit to be president (although by default anyone with a pulse is more fit to lead the nation than Bush).

Littlest Hobo

TRIBE Member
I don't have TV, and was wondering what everyone meant by "Dean is angry". I thought everyone meant angry like a curmudgeon, but Deans angry like The Hulk! Hearing him for the first time, holy crap, this guy should be in the WWF. He sounds like McMahon!

"CAN YOU SMELL WHAT THE DEAN IS COOKING?!?!?! :D

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Vote Quimby
Round 2 goes tomorrow. WIth Kerry actually pulling ahead of Bush in the polls.
As much as I hate Bush, I'm going to remain very cynical and say that Bush will take the presidency next term.

moose-meat

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ~atp~
As much as I hate Bush, I'm going to remain very cynical and say that Bush will take the presidency next term.
Boy , I dont know about that anymore.

Remember that Bush beat Gore last time
50.00000000001 to
49.99999999999. %

If this Kerry guy dosent shoot himself in the foot , he could be the man. Could be interesting.

Anybody got any dirt on Kerry ? Someone told me today his wifes maiden name was Heinz. Ketchup = mega $$$$.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
Bush didn't beat Gore. He was selected by the Supreme Court, headed by a judge who owed a favour to George Sr.