• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Italy Vs. Canada

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
badger.gif

ITALIAN

TECHNO!

INVASION!

I couldn't stay as long as I wished... Gaetano killed me.
I really hate that man, he's my god!

He killed that crowd IMO, I've never seen a fun mix of gino crowd and techno snobs... but everyone was having a great time.

Surprisingly ... Piccotto was playing really, really hard!

Great night, worth every penny for 4 wicked headliners...
I wish Danilo played a little harder, but he was opening ;)

pr0nstar :D

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

zoo

TRIBE Member
that's the problem with picotto ... he plays a style of techno that isn't really much for listening to, it's more of something you listen to while busting up some concrete, putting up some drywall to, or perhaps laying interlocking stones in someone's front yard :p

sorry i missed this night, but i'm not really that sorry ... :p

T

TRIBE Member
incredible night
distrikt was perfect!

gotta love the final scratch crash during Gaetanos set... the crowd loved that!

"whoooo theres a break in teh song!"
no hun, the mac just crashed!

Picotto murdered it after... wow is all i have to say

wish I coulda stayed, but work at 8am is gonna hurt!

JEFF MILLS IS NEXT!

Skipper

TRIBE Member
holy god I will hurt tomorrow.

Gaetano is my ruler, let there be no doubt! *bows*

*proper, coherent review to come tomorrow when I'm trapped at work*

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by T
gotta love the final scratch crash during Gaetanos set...

JEFF MILLS IS NEXT!

thats shitty, he was good at element last year, no FS crash, when i saw Danielo and Marco at surface was dissapointed, dont know if i would ever go out to see picotto, but i am glad people had fun.

MILLS @ BOA REDUX

now that is something WORTH seeing, i cant wait either.

-glycht

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

ian

TRIBE Member
I went to Wabi at Element which was great and got drunk enough to be coaxed to Distrik which was really really good. I was expecting blinding pounding madness and was really happy with the groovy vibes all DJs were throwing down. . . I think I heard Pictotto (on earlier then expected) and Corolla who was great. . .

Fun night and I will hurt tomorrow. . .

HURT I TELL YOU.

ian

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ian
I went to Wabi at Element which was great and got drunk enough to be coaxed to Distrik which was really really good. I was expecting blinding pounding madness and was really happy with the groovy vibes all DJs were throwing down. . . I think I heard Pictotto (on earlier then expected) and Corolla who was great. . .

Fun night and I will hurt tomorrow. . .

HURT I TELL YOU.

OMG is it 5am?

OUCH OUCH OUCH!!!

Skipper

TRIBE Member
Update: still hurting, off to work shortly

Fuck you Mauro Picotto, for getting that Carl Cox "track" in my head! (pontape vs. tim deluxe "it just won't do") I cannot stop singing it! and I should not be singing anything right now!

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
Review

I must say, Distrikt is a great venue. I sincerely hope the success of this event will prompt the club and its promoters to start booking other guest DJs on a more regular basis ... even -if- these events can only take place during the week. The sound system was pretty decent and the club has a nice layout/decor. I'm also a sucker for lasers, of course. The staff proved to be very friendly and helpful both last night and in terms of getting advance tickets.

The music was solid right from the start (we arrived shortly after 11pm). As mentioned earlier, there was a definite "groove" while still maintaining that signature pounding sound we all associate with these DJs. Loathe to admit it, I actually enjoyed the Pontape vs. Tim Deluxe track! :)

Italy was well-represented last night. The green, white, and red could be seen everywhere -- an appropriate prelude to the Euro Cup when Italy will dominate the tournament and many victory celebrations will take place throughout the city. :D

FORZA!

Skipper

TRIBE Member
The music:

Greg gow - didn't know he was on the bill - was an excellent opener. Was sort of busy chatting and not dancing during his set so I can't really comment.

Danilo - came on late, but took where Greg had left things and took it up a notch. I was surprised not to hear more of his own work that I am familiar with...but whatever he was playing got me totally into things. By this point the club had filled up with an interesting mix of ravers, techno snobs and ginos.

Gaetano - amazing. Just incredible. I didn't even notice his FS crashing - did the music turn off entirely? Maybe I was in the washroom or something? But he started off as Gaetano and by the end he was GAETEK. Bangin beats that just had the place going off. This was my second time hearing him and I have to say he is my second fave DJ. What else can I say, he rocks my socks big time.

Mauro - well I must have been pretty drunk by this point b/c I was diggin a lot of what he played. Although, sometimes it was just too much bang-bang and not enough TECHNO. A bassline with no substance over top. However, he played a track that I was dissin in the techno forum last week - Carl Cox, "just kick" which is basically a mix of Renato Cohen's Pontape and Tim Deluxe's "just won't do." I have to say, it was catchy...

Carola - he got things back in order and on to some real techno. I didn't stay to hear a lot of his set though.

The club:

One of the most unorganized, rudest clubs I've ever been to. Get there at 10 - not open til 10:30. We wait and wait and wait at the front of the line, watching a bunch of privileged people go in without wait. Finally we get in, and it's $25 at the door. Not $20. Fine, whatever, we're already there and have been waiting a half hour. Then I lose my money holder in the washroom, and it gets turned in. The girl who turned it in found me and told me she had done so. So I go to get it from the coat check, and they direct me to like three different girls, all saying "nope, not here." Finally one of them says she has it, and gives it to me. I go to the bar, and realize there is no money left in it...and I go to the subway this morning, and realize THEY'VE STOLEN MY METROPASS. For fuck's sake, give me a break!

So yeah, I'm really ticked today.

Nesta

TRIBE Member
Re: Review

Originally posted by AdRiaN

Italy was well-represented last night. The green, white, and red could be seen everywhere -- an appropriate prelude to the Euro Cup when Italy will dominate the tournament and many victory celebrations will take place throughout the city. :D

FORZA!

nice! i wonder if the 4 djs know that toronto has the largest population of italians for any city in the world outside of italy. :p

Lurker

TRIBE Member
ugh.. so tired, yet so worth it.

Gaetano ruled the night. I would've preferred Marco Carolla to come after Gaetano instead of Mauro, but oh well.

Nice enough club inside...to bright early on though. The coat check people taking Skipper's metropass and our cab fare home really burns me though :mad:

Nice to finally meet some more Tribers: vverrg (sp?) and pronstar...I'm sure there were others too, but since my ears are still ringing, I really couldn't hear shit except for the music last night :)

Paul

Skipper

TRIBE Member
oh yeah, I met a ton of people last night. vverrgg, technofreak (sp), unabomber, elektron, john from blue, GAETANO (heh), that guy who works at 2thebeat, plus the usual suspects.... pr0n, adrian, lil nick, ian (I have some funny pictures of you :p )...

the place reeked of goldclub though! cigarettes and dancing girls in gold underwear on a speaker.

patri©k

TRIBE Member
mad shouts go out to justin styles who even after putting up a thread saying he'll return emails... didn't return emails. WAY TO STAY ON TOP OF THINGS!

way to go justin styles! still numba one!

:rolleyes:

hmmmmm... for whatever reason, I didn't know it was a goldclub thingy... that sorta makes me feel a bit better. I hate that shit. Also.. $25 at the door for a thursday night.. especially a GOLD CLUB jam that's pure sponsored and plus.. these guys were obviously coming back from miami and/or finishing off a tour.

kinda glad (in a way) i missed it.

:)

I'm sure the locals at MONO tonight will throw it down just as proper and it's free.

zeen.

and yeah... 2:30 kenny ? LOL. I was still debating on whether or not I should hop in a cab at that point. ;)

ah well, I've learned from my mistakes...

flop on plans once.... your bad...

flop on plans three times... I'm the idiot.

DA GRUNJ (GLENN).... next time man... make sure it's solidified... AND IF IT'S GONNA FLOP.. AT LEAST CALL ME AND LET ME KNOW!

sheesh.

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by stir-fry
pr0nny, you were back home at 2:30 from the techno event of the year?? soft buddy, soft!

I was there when the doors opened...

And danced until I left hard hard hard... I didn't stop once Gaetano got going.

Fucking asshole he is, wouldn't let me off the dancefloor!

And I totally agree, Piccotto played hard monotonous techno, wasn't funky enough to groove to.

pr0nstar :D

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
BTW, he didn't crash his FS I'm pretty sure.

I think what he did was when he was going up to the laptop at one point was hit the switch for the channel input and it cut it off and he pop'd it back on.

If he crashed, there was no way it was back up that fast, trust me on that.

pr0nstar

tEkKiD

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Skipper
The music:

Greg gow - didn't know he was on the bill - was an excellent opener. Was sort of busy chatting and not dancing during his set so I can't really comment.

Last minute thing.... i hear Greg fucking destroyed Miami...im sure he layed it out proper for these itals :D

Greg is back to Miami after tonight (mono) and back Sunday night @ the comfort zone just to let yahs on the know...... tired , jetlegged but ready to rip some TO techno styled shit!

Wish i could have came, radio show and midnight shift, hope the party was ill and everyone had an amazing time.... tip the hat to John Likrish for pulling this off.... respect.

Patrick: so sorry man, pm sent this morning RE.

see you all (hopefully) @ Mono and "Courvoisie" ;)

ez,

sd

2 The Beat

TRIBE Member
I wish there was more hours in a day to sleep after a night like that. But I also feel very invigorated to share techno with the world after a fun night like that.

After various reports of the club, I was skeptical as to whether they would let a shlub like me in. Fortunately, they did! It was certainly an interesting mix of a crowd. The black shirt techno crowd and then what must likely be the regular crowd (regular nights are vocal trance and rnb). However, everyone seemed to be having a pretty corking good time.

I was able to catch the end of Greg's set and he was pumping it very nicely. Danilo certainly took the torch, but Gaetano certainly took the room by the throat. A good dj makes fuck ups look like part of the magic and he was magic last night. He is a good salesman for me since several people asked me to get them Murder Was The Bass after he dropped it, which I will do if they chose to come in!

Mauro was the only dj I had never seen before and I had heard many good things from friends in other places. I was not was impressed as I had hoped. I wanted it a bit hard and a bit less dreamy, but he did still pull out some of his own recent hits which are well worth a listen on a loud system.

Sadly, I missed Carola.

Lots of satisfaction in a fun night as we walked out. I was dead tired when I got there, but techno gave me energy for sure!

malicious motive

TRIBE Member
Wicked Party! Awesome tunes and a nice vibe all night long! can't go wrong with that...

best part is that I got that massive poster with all the DJs by the entrance.....hahaha i have NO clue where i'll put it...but it's damn sweet!

Zach.

lilnick

TRIBE Member
$25 @ the door was a bit of a shock but what the hell are you going to do? Oh well... not often you find a bill like that! But to walk in and realize it was a Benson and Hedges event really pissed me off.

Anyway, to the point:

Gow and Danilo got things off to a good start.

Gaetano rocked me with lots of dirty beats. I love this guy. Not quite as gripping as Element a few months back but I couldn't stand still even when I wanted to.

Had to leave early and said my goodbyes by 2:30 but made the "mistake" of leaving across the dancefloor... I didn't get off until 3:00! I hadn't realised it was Mauro spinning but thought it might have been... I was loving his "dreamy/tech with rough/dirty/electro sounding bass" - YUM.

Not one dink or puff or anything and I am sore today! :D Unfortuantely so are my lungs :mad:

I don't know what's going to happen when the new by-laws come into effect but I hope to hell they put an end to all that smoking, especially on the dancefloor... there was a disgusting amount of smoke in there last night! (And those Goldclub girls just looked plain tacky.)

OK club with decent sound... although earplugs were mandatory up front ;). Strange mix of a crowd but all that mattered was people were getting down!

ps. It was a sausage party in there... where are all the techno chicks??

poker face

TRIBE Member
viva italia

too many ginos

and too many gino dudes looking for puss.

greg gow started the party off right.

DV played some nice tracks

Gaetek started off with the bang then tried to get too fancy, which killed his set.

MP I think had the most consistent set of the night.

Marco Carolla: What is up with the french/chicago house. That shit sucks! stick to techno which you played later, because honestly you were killing the club.

Overall I had a good time. And I feel like I have more hair on my chest for being there.