1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

"Israeli Apartheid" now OK at PRIDE

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by alexd, Jun 24, 2010.

1. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

They have reversed their decision to ban talking about Israeli Apartheid.
  2. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

3. graham

graham Well-Known TRIBEr

that's gay
  4. ScottBentley

ScottBentley TRIBE Member

that's pretty inflammatory
  5. Ho||yw0oD

Ho||yw0oD TRIBE Member

I think it is unfair to label it "apartheid". Can you imagine being a state like Israel, completely surrounded by hostile neighbours (notwithstanding Egypt, but there was a time Egypt was hostile too)? I do feel that the IDF does act a bit harshly in retaliation to Hamas and Hezbollah preemption... but wtf is a person to do when rockets are being fired into their own cities?

So we want to respect Palestinians and their right to sovereignty and self-rule? We want to give back land to Palestinians that we feel Jews unfairly stole from them? Who among you would like to be the first to line up to give back the land we stand on to First Nations, Metis and Inuit?
  6. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

this thread is about to head south in 5...4...3...
  7. Ho||yw0oD

Ho||yw0oD TRIBE Member

8. erika

erika TRIBE Member

Not going there!
    Though when I think of apartheid I think of South Africa of course, and this is a different form of undue harshness that warrants its own term - just need to think of one.

You could argue that creating Israel was a form of anti-jewish apartheid to start with; so are native reserves for that matter.

ok I kinda went there...
  9. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

You mean Indian land owned by those honest injun's.
  10. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

The creation of the state of Israel was never agreed to by the Palestinians or any arab states in 1947 - Israel has managed to forge treaties with Egypt and Jordan but even those are tenuous - that Israel continues to expand its borders beyond the 1947 limits and put settlers (often by force) on Palestinian land, and by exerting constant pressure on Palestinians by embargo, 'the wall', unreasonable searches, seizures, arrests, detainment without legal representation, human rights violations, etc... is about as close to a description of apartheid as I've ever seen. Of course the Palestinians have found back - Israel's behavior is responsible for the creation of Hamas and the PLO - if they had been reasonable at the beginning, peace might have been possible but that didn't happen.
  11. Big Harv

Big Harv TRIBE Member

Makes a lot of sense to have an anti-Israel float at a gay pride festival when Israel is the only country in the middle east that allows same-sex adoptions recognizes same sex marriages performed abroad, provides equal benefits to same sex couples and prohibits employment discrimination on the basis of sexuality.

Why not also have a float against the Ontario court of appeal judges who ruled the ban on same sex marriages unconstitutional and an anti-Ellen DeGeneris float too just to be consistent with the theme of bashing the people who are friends of the cause of the festival?
  12. Dialog

Dialog TRIBE Member

Queers for Hamas?
  13. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Im not so sure about it being unfair. Jewish-only roads and checkpoints for arabs only I think are only the most obvious reasons why the label fits.

Its a two-class system, the basic definition of apartheid.

As for a float at Gay Pride, if there are enough people involved that want to do the float I don't see the big deal in doing it as it would still be an accurate representation of what a certain number of people involved in Pride believe.

That being said, I think the connection between that issue and the Pride parade is tenuous.

As an aside, take a look at what happens to the Gay Pride day in Israel every year - sure, the country is a bastion of liberalism in a sea of anti-gay oppression, but there is a very loud minority of Israeli Fred Phelps that harrass and attempt to disrupt the parade there every year, sometimes violently.
  14. Hybrid

Hybrid TRIBE Member

Look, it's like a concentration camp, but for Palestinians. Crazy how history repeats itself and no one seems to learn from the past.
  15. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

die, die Geschichte ignorieren, werden verurteilt, um sie zu wiederholen
  16. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

The gay pride parade in Jerusalem regularly receives death threats and, just as an example, the 2007 march travelled 500m and required over 8,000 police and soldiers to protect the marchers from ultra-orthodox protesters.

They may 'respect' gay issues elsewhere but the country itself is still very divided on the issue, just like it is with the Palestinians.
  17. Hipsterave

Hipsterave TRIBE Promoter

reasonable is a very subjective term here. In the beginning Israel had to defend itself in the 6 day war being attacked by so called "reasonable" arab nations that sought its destruction. There was no chance for peace in the beginning and often palestinian supporters rewrite history as though they were willing to talk about options when from the start nations like Iran, Saudi Arabia and others were calling not only for the destruction of Israel but also many (not all) wanted death to the Jewish people.

By the way there are more christians in Israel than Jews. Its not even a question of religion at this point. In the end its all about water. When Israel was proclaimed a state it was a barren wasteland of desert, the Israeli's irrigated a piece of land that everyone thought was worthless, digging trenches and creating water basins to collect water. once the land was irrigated and the nations around found that it was valuable because of the irrigation thats when all the hoopla started.

water routes are the most important living condition factor in the middle east.
  18. Bumbaclat

Bumbaclat TRIBE Member

ok drama queen. Resorts in the Caribbean are also surrounded by giant fences.
  19. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Operation Cast Lead/Last Gaza War: The conflict left between 1,166 and 1,417 Palestinians and 13 Israelis killed.

so the palestinian casualties were between 90 and 110 times the Israeli casualties.
  20. Hipsterave

Where did you see that there are Jewish only roads? There might be Israeli roads open only to citizens of Israel, but quit confusing Jewish with Israeli.
  21. Hipsterave

Well Im willing to bet you that most of the Israeli's killed were soldiers. The Isreali's are fighting to defend thier home, the palestinians hide in civilian populations after launching cowardly attacks putting thier own people at risk when retaliation comes. They know the retaliation will come and purposely put their people at risk in order to create sympathy in the media.

Its no different than the war in Iraq or Afganistan.
  22. erika

erika TRIBE Member

And that's also wrong and offensive in a different kinda way...
  23. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

dude just accept it, Israel is the aggressor at this point.

You're right the media world is controlled by Palestinians, it's their story we hear all the time :rolleyes: that's as believable as the guys hiding out in caves bringing down nations.
  24. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

I agree, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are just as appalling as the Occupation.
  25. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

wtf Christians make up only like 2% of the population there - heck, arabs are only around 16% and they're the largest minority group.