• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Isn't a Vitamix just a $800 blender?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Vitamix.jpg

Isn't a Vitamix just a $800 blender?

acheron

TRIBE Member
yep. they have cheaper models (around $500) but they are pretty robust and meant for heavy use (as in bars or restaurants)

dig this

TRIBE Member
We just bought a Blentec (Vitamix competitor) a month or so ago for $400 and it's definitely way more powerful than any blender... Great for green smoothies since it pulvorizes the greens, almost liquifies them. Frozen fruit, veggies, ginger, all get juiced perfectly - no chunks. Also made hummus which is creamy smooth after just a few seconds. I want to do a comparisson with our regular blender to really get an idea of it's value. I welcome all test suggestions as long as I don't ruin the blades (i.e. no iphones.)

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
We just bought a Blentec (Vitamix competitor) a month or so ago for $400 and it's definitely way more powerful than any blender... Great for green smoothies since it pulvorizes the greens, almost liquifies them. Frozen fruit, veggies, ginger, all get juiced perfectly - no chuncks. Also made hummus which is creamy smooth after just a few seconds. I want to do a comparisson with our regular blender to really get an idea of it's value. I welcome all test suggestions as long as I don't ruin the blades (i.e. no iphones.)

$T2eC16VHJG8E9nyfnfRhBQ3ROMGkj!~~60_35.JPG

This is exactly the same thing I can do with my Cuisinart and it cost $99

acheron

TRIBE Member
sure but if you tried to use that thing in a commercial setting it would break fairly quickly.

these vitamix things aren't really for the typical home environment - they're overkill in that context. Home appliances are designed for light use.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

sheik rock

TRIBE Member
I have a blendtec and it kicks ass. I used to use a osterizer metal blender but eventually my shakes broke something in the drive train. I fiexed it but as it was my roommates blender I didn't want to break it again so I stepped up to the blendtec.

It's awesome you just pack it with everything, set it and watch it go. Peak 3hp, it could drive my boat! No need to pre chop anything even beets and ginger.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think I would be able to burn through 8 Cuisinarts in a lifetime of blending and liquefying stuff... Hell I haven't even broken my $99 model yet and I have had it for 10 years maybe...

Since money seems to be no object, if those Vitamix users really want to get something truly industrial strength they should invest in this 50hp baby:

180_CU_FT_LOWE_RIBBON_BLENDER,_S~S,_50_HP.ashx

sheik rock

TRIBE Member
I don't use my food processor anymore as it is a bitch to clean compared to the blender.

It's definitely partly about how fun it is to have a monster blender that you just stuff with shit and then turn on.
1567_10151653835880821_1814518439_n.jpg

xtcfreak

TRIBE Member
The 5200 model shown is only $599, it does not compare to crappy models that are priced much less. Blenders like the Blendtec and Vitamix have 3+ horse power motors, they spin so fast you can make hot steaming soup in them.

Fuck the Ninja. :)

Jay

bettEC

TRIBE Member
Another vote for Blendtec. I bought one for myself in March. I also have a Cuisinart which I will continue to use for some jobs: hummus (haven't tried it yet in the Blendtec), home-made fruit/nut bars and nut butters.

I make smoothies every day, and the Blendtec is perfect for this. Smoothies actually taste smooth (I had a $150 Breville that did a pretty good job, but if you're picky about the texture, nothing beats a high powered blender). I love that it pulverizes chia seeds and hemp seeds... absolutely no grit on a regular smoothie cycle. Also, using the Breville every day, after a year I had to have it repaired once, and the motor burned out 3 months after the 1-year warranty expired. I've purchased 4 blenders in 10 years - in the long run the Blendtec will save me money (it has an 8 year warranty), smoothies taste better, and it's a cinch to clean (you basically just rinse it after a smoothie, add a little soap and water, turn it on and rinse everything again). I f'n hated cleaning the Breville. Taking everything apart - old crusty food bits getting trapped in the bottom... gross.

Worth every penny. If you don't blend every day and you're not as picky as me, a cheapie will do - I think it just depends on your needs.

sheik rock

TRIBE Member
I made hummus in my Blendtec the other day. Works really well, just use the sauces/dips setting. Then fill with hot water and run for a bit to clean.

Aaron Bradley

TRIBE Promoter
They might be better than the store bought ones... I don't believe that is the debate, it's just that 5 or 6 hundred dollars before taxes for this technology/material/effort is a bit much.

How long have these been out?

Aaron Bradley

TRIBE Promoter
the company has, but what about the product? This has to come down sooner or later. Anyway, I'm glad it works out for whoever bought them.

stryker

TRIBE Member
Glad to hear that Blendtec is a good alternative to the Vitamix. I've been scanning the web for months trying to find deals, or even a used one but I'm not having any luck. We make green smoothies every Sunday but I wanted to make sure that I could get into the habit before forking out 8 bills for a Vitamix. Hearing about Blendtec means we'll be getting one before the summer's over.

I've been using a standard Hamilton Beach blender and it f*ing sucks. I have to pre-chop the spinach/kale before adding the other stuff. I feel like a mad scientist with all of these bowls of different blended stuff. I blend the individual components and then mix and match for a couple of different batches.

Stew :)

stryker

TRIBE Member
So last month I finally picked up a Vitamix. I was given a few pre-paid credit card gift cards and bought it on sale from one of those "as seen on TV' stores.

vitamix-cia-professional.gif

Overall I'm quite impressed with it. I've been making a point to make green smoothies everyday. Spinach, frozen fruits and bananas, etc.

Pros:
I really like like that I don't have to pre-chop the greens. It makes small business of frozen stuff and there are no little bits floating around.

SUPER EASY to clean!

Cons:
It's huge and loud and does require some manual work pushing the material into the blender (they give you a poking stick)

i haven't tried making soup or anything yet. But so far, i've had a month of exceeding my daily vegetable intake which makes the purchase worth the money.

stew :)

Glad to hear that Blendtec is a good alternative to the Vitamix. I've been scanning the web for months trying to find deals, or even a used one but I'm not having any luck. We make green smoothies every Sunday but I wanted to make sure that I could get into the habit before forking out 8 bills for a Vitamix. Hearing about Blendtec means we'll be getting one before the summer's over.

I've been using a standard Hamilton Beach blender and it f*ing sucks. I have to pre-chop the spinach/kale before adding the other stuff. I feel like a mad scientist with all of these bowls of different blended stuff. I blend the individual components and then mix and match for a couple of different batches.

Stew :)

kyfe

TRIBE Member
we just grabbed the blendtec total blender at costco.
only done smoothies so far but it's been a big difference maker