• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Is Toronto the worst city in North America to be a sports fan?

Rage

TRIBE Member
Our teams lost by a combined total of 19-2 last night.

Leafs/TFC/Jays.

Our Basketball team has won one round of playoff games since their existence (coming up to 20 years).

Our hockey team hasn't really done shit in over 20 years & hasn't won anything in close to 50 years.

Our Baseball team has gone 20 years without doing a damn thing.

Our Soccer team is atrocious.

Our minor league hockey team is "ok"

Our 2nd rate (some would say 3rd rate) semi-pro Football team won but really, who cares?

KickIT

TRIBE Member
But we have the ARGOS? Actually that's another reason why it sucks to be a Toronto sports fan.

Variant

TRIBE Member
There was a piece in Metro yesterday about how in the 9 years that the leafs haven't made the playoffs boston has won: 2 superbowls, 1 nba championship, 2 world series and 1 stanley cup. Imagine if we had even one team clicking let alone four.

Rage

TRIBE Member
I'd have to throw Cleveland into the mix as probably the worst one.

We are up there though.
Yes but at least Cleveland had the best basketball player of our generation for a few years with a couple of MVP seasons, a few 60 win seasons & a trip to the finals.

They also are a great NCAA state (Bball/Football) to get behind.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

KodiaK

TRIBE Member
The Rock are pretty decent and they can win.
Yep. been to a bunch of toronto Rock games. Stupidly cheap to go to and they actually have won a bunch of championships.

Then again i actually like box lacrosse since i use to play it when i was younger.

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
Our hockey team hasn't really done shit in over 20 years & hasn't won anything in close to 50 years.
I am assuming you're talking about the 1993 team that went to the semifinals? If that counts as doing something then they also went to the semis in 1998-99 and 2001-02...still a long time though.

SJN

TRIBE Member
I am assuming you're talking about the 1993 team that went to the semifinals? If that counts as doing something then they also went to the semis in 1998-99 and 2001-02...still a long time though.
The very fact that that counts as "doing something" tells you just how bad things are in Toronto.

KickIT

TRIBE Member
Toronto has pretty much hit rock bottom in terms of expectations. In other cities coaches get fired after getting to the finals and losing. While in Toronto, the first coach to win a playoff series will get a street named after them and the keys to the city.

octo

TRIBE Member
rock bottom was last year at this time. the leafs didn't even make the playoffs and the argos had come off a shitty season.

imo the media is the biggest culprit of the continual mediocrity of the city's sports teams.

the sports media in this town are a bunch of ignorant ball washers.

rawd

TRIBE Member
Another thing wrong with sports in this city, #542

All the white haired fat cats sitting in the platinums last night with their arms folded. Its a fucking playoff game. Just clapping doesn't cut it.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

KickIT

TRIBE Member
Seriously, all these guys "I'm proud they made it so far". Really? They lost in the first fucking round of the playoffs. Who remembers the first round? NOBODY. Talk about lowering your expectations.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
Seriously, all these guys "I'm proud they made it so far". Really? They lost in the first fucking round of the playoffs. Who remembers the first round? NOBODY. Talk about lowering your expectations.
There's a difference between having a low expectation and a realistic one. How many of you picked this team to make the playoffs at the beginning of the season. How many of you at the end of the season picked them to take the Bruins to overtime in game 7? If they were seen as a favourite then yes there's nothing to be proud of when you exit in the first round. They played well above expectations and that only bodes well for the future.