• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Is this physically possible? Or as I suspect is my roommate is a compulsive liar

swilly

TRIBE Member
Ok so I am pretty sure my roommate is a compulsive liar but..I am not 100 percent sure.

Anyways so here is this guys story.

Basically he says that cliff divers when they jump from massive elevations into the water they take some stones and release them below them moments before they hit the water so the break the surface so that the diver is not hurt from impact on the water.

Here is the thing though, i am pretty sure from what i remember in physics that two objects of different mass fall at the same rate towards the earth. Therefore if a diver jumps off a cliff and releases stones below him mid air i dont think they would hit the water before him.

Even if he somehow managed to try and throw them i think that all the friction from the wind and air you are rushing by would nulify any impact of throwing the stones.

But...i could be wrong so help me out.

Is this guy a bullshitter or i am not trusting enough
PS this story is in addition to his claim that half his friends make 400,000 per year and that he is best friends with the president of his university and well many other things.

anyways

swilly

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Liquidity

TRIBE Member
swilly said:
Here is the thing though, i am pretty sure from what i remember in physics that two objects of different mass fall at the same rate towards the earth. Therefore if a diver jumps off a cliff and releases stones below him mid air i dont think they would hit the water before him.

Even if he somehow managed to try and throw them i think that all the friction from the wind and air you are rushing by would nulify any impact of throwing the stones.

why would the friction nullify the change in velocity?

also, rocks have less wind resistance than you, so they'll fall faster.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
swilly said:
anyways

swilly

I don't know how acurate this is as I have never dived off of a cliff. However it is possible and technically it might even work. In diving pools they will add air bubbles to the water to break the surface tension the stones would do the same.

The rocks would actually fall faster as the human being as a lower terminal velocity because of drag. The rocks can also be thrown in the direction of travel beyond there specific terminal velocity where they will slightly slow but still impact first.

Mythbusters actually ran a test on this using hammer however I don't think they were able to show the hammer having any practical effect.

swilly

TRIBE Member
Ditto Much said:
I don't know how acurate this is as I have never dived off of a cliff. However it is possible and technically it might even work. In diving pools they will add air bubbles to the water to break the surface tension the stones would do the same.

The rocks would actually fall faster as the human being as a lower terminal velocity because of drag. The rocks can also be thrown in the direction of travel beyond there specific terminal velocity where they will slightly slow but still impact first.

Mythbusters actually ran a test on this using hammer however I don't think they were able to show the hammer having any practical effect.

hmmm well there you are i guess
PS i know fuck all about physics
swilly

Sleepy Giant

TRIBE Member
Ditto Much said:
This makes baby Issac Newton cry.

quantumize

TRIBE Member
but i'm pretty sure half of his friends dont make 400,000 a year and that he probably isnt best friends with the president of his university, unless the president wakes up on your couch one morning after a night of drinking with his 'best friend'

swilly

TRIBE Member
quantumize said:
but i'm pretty sure half of his friends dont make 400,000 a year and that he probably isnt best friends with the president of his university, unless the president wakes up on your couch one morning after a night of drinking with his 'best friend'

He told me that when he ordered his transcripts he rang up the president and asked him to get someone to sort it out for him

I almost coughed up kim chee I was so taken back by the magnitude of his bullshit.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Sleepy Giant said:
This makes baby Issac Newton cry.

Newton lived in a friction free environment!

While all objects in a vacume do accelerate at the exact same rate 9.8m/s^2 in the real world this doesn't mean that the same velocity will be obtained.

A skydiver lying flat and holding his arms and legs out will stop accelerating sooner than a skydiver dropping like a pin and thus will not reach as high a velocity.

HOWEVER even in Newtons world of empty air the rock still hits the water first!!

V(diver) = 9.8t
V(stone) = 9.8t

Assuming that both are tossed at the same time and are independent of each other. However if the the stone is tossed from the divers hand while the jump is occuring this isn't true.

V(stone) = V(inital) + 9.8t

Where V(initial) is now a function of the divers throw.

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
swilly said:
He told me that when he ordered his transcripts he rang up the president and asked him to get someone to sort it out for him

I almost coughed up kim chee I was so taken back by the magnitude of his bullshit.

Throw your lying, cunty roommate off a cliff and huck some pebbles after him. Your alibi is airtight -- he was testing out his theory.

TaCk OnE?

TRIBE Member
nobody throws rocks before the moment of impact....

I can explain what it's stupid to suggest they would, but that would be stupid.

I bet this guy is also going to tell you that if you jump up at the last minute while in a falling elevator, you can save yourself.

coleridge

TRIBE Member
I'd say buddy thinks he's smart because the physics works in theory but tell him to watch Mythbusters to realize that he doesn't know what he's talking about.

littlejon

TRIBE Member
try throwing rocks at your roommate.
the increased friction that results should speed up the terminal velocity of the relationship and cause it to be much less of a drag.

it should also beat the lies right out of him.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Galactic Phantom said:
WOW!! Seriously? You're the last person I'd thought that would say this.

I know but its actually true!! The stone hits the water first because of 2 reasons. First the human body will hit a point where acceleration due to gravity is negated by air preasure. Thus a terminal velocity will be reached. This is why a sky diver falls faster when he is pinning versus laying flat. By default the small pebbles will have a higher terminal velocity.

This is why although a feather and a marble fall at the exact same speed in a vacuum they sure as hell don't fall at the same speed in the real world.

Additionally if the diver tosses the stones as s/he falls the stones are being given additional force thus the stones will be traveling at the speed of the toss + the velocity of the diver with an additional acceleration over time cause by gravity.

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
Perhaps cliff-diving is not as popular a sport as they thought, and the audience is just throwing rocks because they are impatient for the diving to end and Tiesto's set to begin.

quantumize

TRIBE Member
swilly said:

yeah this is far too much bullshit, there are respectible levels of bullshit and this guy is taking it TOO FAR.

call him on this bullshit as it is over and above the acceptable level of bullshit

peko

TRIBE Member
Galactic Phantom said:
watch mythbusters.
Also think about living alone.

good advice.... I lived with a psycho-liar once, she stole everyones clothes and linens and claimed them as hers, it was scary.

Last edited:

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
quantumize said:
yeah this is far too much bullshit, there are respectible levels of bullshit and this guy is taking it TOO FAR.

call him on this bullshit as it is over and above the acceptable level of bullshit

Totally agree! Find out if he knows the answer to the old riddle..."What did the five fingers say to the face?"

peko

TRIBE Member
swilly said:

Look at it as great diatribe material and take it for what it's worth.

The Adventures of Swilly continue*

Silvershadow

TRIBE Member
coleridge said:
I'd say buddy thinks he's smart because the physics works in theory but tell him to watch Mythbusters to realize that he doesn't know what he's talking about.
Yeah... poor Buster lost a leg in that test.