• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Is this phone any good?

MoFo

TRIBE Member
I just did a search on this and there were very vague opinions about this phone. So I'm asking again, have any opinions changed since this phone came out?
Motorola_T720%20_130x251.gif

I can't believe I'm going from a $0 Nokia the size of a loaf of bread to a $300 phone. It's official: society is going downhill.

What the hell does GSM mean?
Can it work in other countries?

I was at Rogers today and yeah, they suck. All of them.

Balzz

TRIBE Member
The T720 is the biggest piece of shit ever. In fact, they shouldn't call it a phone. They should've just called it a tuna since it's as much a tuna as it is a phone. So glad I got rid of the POS.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Hm.. Well, it's coming on Friday so... I guess I'm gonna be checking messages on my new FLIP-TUNA! YAY!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Balzz
The T720 is the biggest piece of shit ever. In fact, they shouldn't call it a phone. They should've just called it a tuna since it's as much a tuna as it is a phone. So glad I got rid of the POS.

Why is it shit?
People have been telling me that they can get reception on the subway with this. And that it comes with an attached warranty..

MoFo

TRIBE Member
See, I can't believe those Rogers fucks.
They told me that this phone retails at $300. Can a $300 phone be that bad? Hm. I know NOTHING about cell phones.

TrippinJiminey

TRIBE Member
I've been using it for a few months now and I haven't had any problems with it aside from the fact that it takes the phone a while to re-establish a signal (at least as shown on the signal strength indicator) when going from a place of poor reception to good reception.

In general the phone is decent (although I don't know how comparable it is to current tech as my last phone was a motoral timeport)although the bundled games are useless (moto gp is crap and the other one is worse)

If you do get it, be careful of internet fees. It's tempting to download all kinds of shit on to the phone but unless you purchase internet time it adds up. I used the mobile browser for something like 10 minutes while I was on the crapper once and they charged me something like 10$, and thats apart from the fee that you would have to pay just to purchase the actual software (be it game, ringtone or whatever)

Balzz

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by MoFo
Why is it shit?
People have been telling me that they can get reception on the subway with this. And that it comes with an attached warranty..

Reception is absolutely terrible. Navigating through the menus makes pulling teeth sound more enjoyable. Every time you push a button, you have to wait a second before the fucking thing does anything. And did I mention poor reception?

Balzz

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by chipotle
okay so IYO = it's slow to navigate and it has poor reception.

Strapping a tuna to my head would've been a preferable method of communication by comparison.

chipotle

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by TrippinJiminey
I've been using it for a few months now and I haven't had any problems with it aside from the fact that it takes the phone a while to re-establish a signal (at least as shown on the signal strength indicator) when going from a place of poor reception to good reception.

In general the phone is decent (although I don't know how comparable it is to current tech as my last phone was a motoral timeport)although the bundled games are useless (moto gp is crap and the other one is worse)

If you do get it, be careful of internet fees. It's tempting to download all kinds of shit on to the phone but unless you purchase internet time it adds up. I used the mobile browser for something like 10 minutes while I was on the crapper once and they charged me something like 10$, and thats apart from the fee that you would have to pay just to purchase the actual software (be it game, ringtone or whatever)

so for the money -- for what it is worth $300.00 it's not worth it?

aether

TRIBE Member
We've tested a fair bit on this thing, and it's been fine for a phone, but trying to run any other software on it sucks. It's slow, it lacks memory. The Nokia 6310i is faster, and it's crap too :) You could say 'why would i want to run any other stuff on it?! it's a phone!' But if that's the case, why bother paying for a colour screen?

Balzz

TRIBE Member
so for the money -- for what it is worth $300.00 it's not worth it?

Rogers didn't charge me a penny for it and it still wasn't worth the aggravation.

MalGlo

TRIBE Member
Strapping a tuna to my head would've been a preferable method of communication by comparison.

dude you have this seriously odd fascination with tuna

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Reception is absolutely terrible. Navigating through the menus makes pulling teeth sound more enjoyable. Every time you push a button, you have to wait a second before the fucking thing does anything. And did I mention poor reception?
Ahhhhhhhh, I noticed that today. That the there's a slight lag when scrolling. But I practiced a bit and I just have to press it faster.

And I have to pay for ringtones?

aether

TRIBE Member
Navigating through the menus makes pulling teeth sound more enjoyable.

This is my biggest beef with motorola phones. Who the hell designed their interfaces? They're horrible. I thought the i95 interface was bad, but then we got i730's in. It's really too bad, because otherwise the i730 has great hardware.

Balzz

TRIBE Member
what phone do you have?

I had a Nokia 6590i before the T720 which was a great performer but I gave it to the gf after Rogers shipped me the T720 so I couldn't go back. Right now I have an SE T616 and it's fantastic. I'm on the 407 a fair bit from Yonge to QEW and I can be on the phone the whole time without the call dropping. The T720 would drop calls every few minutes...I even exchanged the damn thing thinking it was defective but they were all the same.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by aether
We've tested a fair bit on this thing, and it's been fine for a phone, but trying to run any other software on it sucks. It's slow, it lacks memory. The Nokia 6310i is faster, and it's crap too :) You could say 'why would i want to run any other stuff on it?! it's a phone!' But if that's the case, why bother paying for a colour screen?

SOFTWARE?

WTF!
I'm fucking living in 1997! Why would I need software? I just want to call people, check my messages and have it ring Hey Ya when someone calls.

I have had my old phone for over 4 years and I still have never played snake or whatever it's called.

Balzz

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by aether
This is my biggest beef with motorola phones. Who the hell designed their interfaces? They're horrible. I thought the i95 interface was bad, but then we got i730's in. It's really too bad, because otherwise the i730 has great hardware.

I asked for a T720 since I had heard good things about Motorola's RF performance. Boy was I ever disappointed.