1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Is this even legal?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Mrs. Pink, May 19, 2010.

1. Mrs. Pink

Mrs. Pink TRIBE Member

So....i've conditionally sold my house. It's conditional on financing approval for the buyer, which we've yet to recieve.

Today, my wife found an ad on Kijiji offering our place to rent, using pictures from our MLS listing, showing all our furnature etc....

is this legal?
  2. oeretS

oeretS TRIBE Member

wouldn't you have a lawyer for this whole process?

anyways, hope evrything works out with the sale dude
  3. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

Maybe they want to get a head start on their mortgage payments....
  4. Mrs. Pink

Mrs. Pink TRIBE Member

we're not even at lawyer stage yet, we don't have a firm deal....
  5. Deus

Deus TRIBE Member

It is likely legal, but they should have asked you for permission to use the pictures even if they took them.
  6. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

do you really care THAT much?
    sounds like they are pretty confident that the deal is gonna go thru, which is good isnt it?
  7. alexd

Maybe they are doing market research to see if your house is rent-able. If they get no pings maybe they will bail.

Just get a bunch of people TRIBErs or facebook friends to express an interest in their ad to leverage your deal with them.
  8. defazman

defazman TRIBE Member

exactly, play it smart and drive up the value of the deal.
  9. ian

ian TRIBE Member

I doubt it's actually against the law unless they actually rent it out before the deal is done. . . but it does sound kind of dodgy though. . . weird.
  10. Mrs. Pink

Mrs. Pink TRIBE Member

you know, i don't really care....except for the idiot posted our address. I mean, the dude posted pictures of the inside of our house, with all our things.....and our address. It's like a public invitation to take our shit.
  11. ian

ian TRIBE Member

Well that stuff was posted when the MLS listing went up as well. . . so it's not like it hasn't been on the interwebs before. Part of selling a house is telling the world where you live and what your place looks like.
  12. Mrs. Pink

Mrs. Pink TRIBE Member

true enough.....fuck, it just seems......illegal.
  13. alexd

What's the URL BTW? This thread is useless without pics.... ;)
  14. LeoGirl

LeoGirl TRIBE Member

not all MSL listings display addresses.
  15. ScottBentley

ScottBentley TRIBE Member

holy crap rent is cheap in your neck of the woods!

(yes, I looked :eek:)

*I'd feel a bit violated too*
  16. Oh man, why didn't this thread come up about a month ago? With this advice, we could have made a mint.
  17. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

seriously! I can get a 4 bedroom house with a pool for $1700.
  18. SneakyPete

SneakyPete TRIBE Member

19. kirstenmeows

kirstenmeows TRIBE Member

Are you sure it's your prospective purchasers who have placed the ad, and not a 'wonderful christian family' who only need to know your name, sex, date of birth, virginal status, etc but sadly can't show the place right now because they're on a mission but will mail you the keys when you send them a money order in Nigeria?

That was far too long winded and tiring.
  20. dtox

dtox TRIBE Member

alot of rental ads are fake, looking for easy money frompeople that are not swift. they take pictures of other places and pretend they are for rent.
  21. kuba

kuba TRIBE Member

mrs pink / matt

here's what I think. I think it is illegal. The pictures that are hosted on MLS are proprietary. I bet you any money that in the terms and conditions, it would be illegal to take the pictures off the site and use them on another, like kijiji. Call your lawyer ASAP and ask for a cease and decist. (Sp?). Your aggrevation about the address is even more reasonable since your privacy is being invaded.

What bullshit.
  22. 2canplay

2canplay TRIBE Member

I'll bet dollars to donuts they are looking for a renter to show the bank that they have a tenant so they qualify for the mortgage.
  23. alexd

this is what I think, however with the new mortgage rules, don't they exclude future rent as a criteria for getting a mortgage?
  24. Penny Lane

Penny Lane TRIBE Member

Yup. Happened to my dad's house when he was selling it. He had random people show up looking to view the place before renting. He asked them where they saw the ad, and they told him craigslist. Sure enough there was an ad of his place, really cheap rent to. Internet scammers lloking for easy money.
  25. Mrs. Pink

Mrs. Pink TRIBE Member

well it's firm now....so whatever i guess....still a dick move.