• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

is this dog abuse?

little*jungle*nut

TRIBE Member
my friend's roomate owns a puppy, i think it's a husky cross with some other kind. they (the roomate and his gf) lock the puppy in the cage all day coz they have to work i guess and only let it out briefly in the morning and at nite. i think they even put the puppy back in when they are asleep.

when they do let it out, the dog acts all crazy and excited and runs around the house and jumps on ppl. when it does that, all they do is yell at the dog for its behaviour. (but of course the dog is gonna do that, what do they expect? that the puppy would walk out the cage slowly and just lies down?) it needs excersie, its legs must be all cramped up.

so what can i do to help this poor little puppy? i don't know them personally, so i can't really yell at them. even if i do let them know how i feel, i know they won't listen. and with these ppl being so unloving and all, if there ever comes a time when they can't keep the dog for whatever reason, i know they'll just give it to the pound. another case of abandon pet. the puppy's probably gonna grow up with no love either.

what can i do? any advise? if i call humane or whichever animal society, would they care? the dog might be worse off there if they take it away.

any suggestions? please help this puppy out!

Hal-9000

TRIBE Member
The dog should be walked at least twice or day or it will destroy that place..

A girl with a dog lives in the basement of the house Im renting, her place is trashed because she hardly walked her dog and this thing is stir crazy.

If your friend lives in a tiny downtown apt. or something I actually DO consider that dog abuse.

little*jungle*nut

TRIBE Member
they live in a house in Brampton, occupying the main floor. i think it's still abuse, right, since they lock it in the cage for most part of the day. and you can hear the poor puppy whimpering, wanting to get out.

what can i do?

Cheeka

TRIBE Member
:( - that poor little guy :(
this makes me want to cry.
that is so selfish - as if they think that's any kind of life for the little guy???

the humane society probably won't do anything about it but its worth the call.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Can't really say much on the issue cause I fall into the category that believes that dogs in most apartments are abused period. However unfortunately what they're doing will more than likely rear a pretty dysfunctional pet.

Why get a dog if your just going to lack the poor thing up all day. If you want something that is litter trainable and can be left alone in your apartment get a fucking cat.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Cannabus

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Ditto Much

Why get a dog if your just going to lock the poor thing up all day. If you want something that is litter trainable and can be left alone in your apartment get a fucking cat.

I agree 100%

If it's got Husky in it, it needs to be outside for almost all day...

poor little guy :(

Cheeka

TRIBE Member
no matter how well you know them you should definitely talk to them about this.
Remind them what they are doing to that little guy - and offer them suggestions on how they should be doing things.

and if they don't listen there isn't much else you can do (other then kick their asses).

I hope something really horrible happens to both of them :mad:!!!!!!!!

Rosey

TRIBE Member
huskies are bread to run. there are two major strains, one of them could handle a fairly sedate life, but wouldn't like it. the other would go insane. they need to run, a lot.

you can't do that to a husky it will be very unhealthy and sorta insane in not too much time.

swenard

TRIBE Member
Kepping a dog in a cage is alright. Dogs like being in small confined spaces(its just like a den in the wild). But, when they are puppies it is hard.Because they're just like children and get very bored. So, if you leave them out all day they will chew EVERYTHING!!!!!!! If you leave them in the cage they are lonely. My dog goes in a cage every time I go out. If I don't put her in a cage she goes and lies in it or in a small corner behind the couch. She feels secure when she is in the cage!(Its just like her own bedroom).Any breeder or veterinarian will tell you the same. Dogs are notorious for chewing electrical cords, and I don't think I need to tell you what happens when they do that. So when you put them in there it is for their own safety as well as piece of mind for yourself. As long as you give them lots of love when they come out, they are no worse for the wear. What is a dog going to do all day when you're not there anyway? sleep!!!

A dog that is locked up during the day (no more than 8 hours) is perfectly fine and is quite happy.

Rosey

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by swenard

A dog that is locked up during the day (no more than 8 hours) is perfectly fine and is quite happy.
i'm sorry but this is just not true for all breeds of dogs. the Y strain of huskies absolutely needs to run, a lot, every day.

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
That's awful, and unfortunately I don't think it is considered "abuse" and even if it was they'd probably get a heafty $1000 fine or something. Did you hear about those college student living in Kensington Market who had video's of themself killing cats and dogs.??? They got a measly fine.

I've heard of people keeping their puppy in a cage during the time that they are at work, however when they were home, the puppy was NEVER caged and once the puppy was trained it no was no longer caged.

Stories like this bring me back to my opinion that people should have to take a pet ownership course and have a licence (at little extreme, but gets the point across) to own a pet.

Deus

TRIBE Member
They could at least get a bigger cage, like a 5 feet by 5 feet, it could just bounce around in there at least

Rosey

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by LeoGirl
Did you hear about those college student living in Kensington Market who had video's of themself killing cats and dogs.??? They got a measly fine.
i'm pretty sure you are referring to the tape made by an OCAD student. the tape showed a cat being killed, however, in reality the dead cat was given to the student by the ROM where he worked in one of the labs. it had been dead and preserved for several years when he got it. no cats or other animals were killed to make the film. nobody was fined anything.

swenard

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Rosey

i'm sorry but this is just not true for all breeds of dogs. the Y strain of huskies absolutely needs to run, a lot, every day.

As long as you are willing to make the commitment to give them the level of exercise they require when you get home, they will be fine.

But, most people aren't willing to make that sacrifice when they get home and those people should own very lazy breeds of dogs.
IE:fat people with fat dogs

swenard

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Deus
They could at least get a bigger cage, like a 5 feet by 5 feet, it could just bounce around in there at least
I bought my dog a large cage (she's a 100+ lb dog) and she prefers the smallest one! The cage should only be big enough to turn around in or they will defecate in one corner and sleep in another. Which defeats 1 of the purposes of keeping them in a dog cage.

Backtracking on my earlier statement. A very young puppy should be let out every hour(4 hours max) because their little puppy bladders can't last 8 hours.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

little*jungle*nut

TRIBE Member
no matter how well you know them you should definitely talk to them about this.
if i do that, i'm afraid i would upset them, thinking that i'm telling them how take care of the dog, and then they would take it out on the puppy. u know what i mean?

so it's the same if i call some animal protection organzations, they give fine them. they'll just get upset and angry with the dog.

it's so frustrating know the situation, but can't do anything :mad:

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Rosey

i'm pretty sure you are referring to the tape made by an OCAD student. the tape showed a cat being killed, however, in reality the dead cat was given to the student by the ROM where he worked in one of the labs. it had been dead and preserved for several years when he got it. no cats or other animals were killed to make the film. nobody was fined anything.
Nope.....not referring to that at all............

I'll have to go pull out the article................it was three U of T students. The cops found video's of them skinning cats alive. AND they had live animals still living in their apartment.

They WERE fined like $5000 and only two of the guys were found. The inital story broke like 4 months ago, and I just heard on the CityTV like a month ago that they were convicted and fined

little*jungle*nut

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by swenard
Kepping a dog in a cage is alright... As long as you give them lots of love when they come out, they are no worse for the wear. What is a dog going to do all day when you're not there anyway? sleep!!!

but the thing is they don't give it love when it comes out. if it acts crazy and jumps on them or other ppl, they'll yell at the poor guy for doing that. they can't seem to understand that it's normal for it to do that. :mad:

if they want a dog that's not as hyper and active, they should've gotten a smaller kind.

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by little*jungle*nut
if they want a dog that's not as hyper and active, they should've gotten a smaller kind.
except for those Jack Russells, they're craaaaaaaaaaazy little guys.

little*jungle*nut

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by LeoGirl

Nope.....not referring to that at all............

I'll have to go pull out the article................it was three U of T students. The cops found video's of them skinning cats alive. AND they had live animals still living in their apartment.

They WERE fined like $5000 and only two of the guys were found. The inital story broke like 4 months ago, and I just heard on the CityTV like a month ago that they were convicted and fined
are u sure? i've been reading about this case whenever i see it on the news, but didn't know what they got as punishments. they only got fined? i can't believe it, i honestly think they should get life imprisonment or sth similar. to me, that's worse than murder, it's like killing a baby coz cats or dogs or any other small animal don't have the ability to fight back, against three men?

if they can do that to a cat (skin it when it's alive) they deserve to die a much much more painful death!

Cheeka

TRIBE Member

if i do that, i'm afraid i would upset them, thinking that i'm telling them how take care of the dog, and then they would take it out on the puppy. u know what i mean?

so it's the same if i call some animal protection organzations, they give fine them. they'll just get upset and angry with the dog.

it's so frustrating know the situation, but can't do anything :mad:
I don't think you should assume they'll take it out on the puppy... maybe they don't realize that is why he is acting so hyper when they let him out.
maybe they really are just ignorant as to how to take care of a dog?
talk to them in a nice helpful way and maybe they will take your advice?

if not then you can't do anything else other then maybe call the SPCA or something :(

swenard

TRIBE Member

but the thing is they don't give it love when it comes out. if it acts crazy and jumps on them or other ppl, they'll yell at the poor guy for doing that. they can't seem to understand that it's normal for it to do that. :mad:

Its not normal for a dog to jump on people!!! If a dog jumps on you it has not been trained. Some people yell at they're dogs some people nudge their dogs with a knee some people reward the dog for not jumping.

A commen myth for people is a small dog is less hyper and is better in a small apartment.That's utter bullshit! A small dog runs around like the wind(have you ever seen a jack russell terrier) while a big dog comes over and wags its tail. Large dogs are the perfect apartment dog(as long as they get lots of exercise)all they do is lie down.

shawn<---His Uncle is a breeder and dog trainer!

LeoGirl

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Cheeka
if not then you can't do anything else other then maybe call the SPCA or something :(
^^^^That's actually a really good idea. The Humaine Society doesn't really do much anymore. The SPCA should at least investigate and maybe it'll shock the owners into taking a few Dog Obedience Classes.

also, lil' *jungle* nut..............That story was horrible. When I read it I freaked and literally threw the paper across the room. I just couldn't deal with it, the visuals I would get and still get when I think about it drive me insane. The shitty thing is that if I found the dirty bastards that did it, I would've gone to prison for life........

little*jungle*nut

TRIBE Member
thank you all for the comments

so should i or should i not call the human or other organizations about the situation. it is worth the risk of upsetting the couple and endangering the puppy?

Musical Rush

TRIBE Member
A dog that is locked up during the day (no more than 8 hours) is perfectly fine and is quite happy
Why don't we lock you in a cage for 8 hours and see how happy you are??

Huskies need to be out doors there bread to be working dogs they need the fresh air.With it being in the cage all the time it's bones won't even developed properly or it's lungs ,it has to run and stretch in order to be a strong healthy dog.

I have a Malmute and Rottie when they were puppies not once did i shove them in a cage,we blocked off the kitchen and they could move around all they wanted when we weren't home or sleeping.They got paper trained that way and we also let them go nuts in the backyard.

For the chewing?? They never chewed cords or the furniture,that's why you buy them toys and bones to chew on,that way they don't even think about the other goodies they can sink there teeth into.

Call the humain society I would in a heart beat and if the Humain society takes it away?

The dog is only a puppy it'll be gone the same day trust me.Or if they don't take the dog away atleast it'll give the owners something to think about .