• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Is this a good deal for home stereo?

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Personally I wouldn't buy it. CD player is for dinosaurs, you're better offer investing more money in your receiver and scrapping the CD player.

Although the book shelves are decent. Try to find a receiver with more juice than this one, this way you can avoid distortion levels if you like it loud.

For speakers consider totem, canton mission or paradigm all are great band for your buck in the lower lines. PSB makes really good speakers but check the specs against comparables at that price point.

The Kid

TRIBE Member
Thanks for the suggestions, is BBR generally good for pricing or do you guys have any recommendations downtown?

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

xtcfreak

TRIBE Member
Saw this at Best Buy, not sure how it sounds. Having dock connections for iPhone and Android, plus bluetooth is a bonus.

CD's are wack. :)

Jay

Blysspluss

TRIBE Member
I'd call this a bad deal. BBR was never my first choice for deals...as they do tend to be overpriced for the same products, especially if you're shopping for midrange stuff.

Plus as was said before, at 50W, it's pretty low power. Those speakers can handle 20-125W, so you might think on going for something closer to 90W for the receiver if those are the speakers you want.

As for where to go, I don't know any more, not being in the GTA.

Also, installation is easy. Not something work spending money on. There's a ton of resources out there on the web to help you if you have trouble with this kind of thing.

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
The Amp is purpose built for audio only. While that may be a selling point to some, if you are ever thinking that you may want to use this amp for your entertainment center, than this one is a bad choice. If all you ever want to do is pure audio, its decent, albeit a little expensive considering what you can get for $400 these days.

Speakers are decent, but again there are a lot of bookshelf speakers in the $400 range, you should bring your favourite (non-mp3) tunes on a CD and go listen to some bookshelf speakers and then go from there. Your ears will know what's best for you.

The CD player, the cabling and the service are all pretty much freebies. If you are looking into this, now may be a good time to learn how to cable your own stereo. Routing the amplifier signal and figuring out how to use a remote control are both harder than wiring a stereo system.

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
Bay Bloor Radio showroom is a great place to listen to speakers.
I'd go listen to them there, and then try and find deals elsewhere.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories