• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

is the prog room dead?

Aleks

TRIBE Member
in all honesty i still like much of the dj's associated with progressive house, but haven't been feelin' the productions under that category as of late. much of the exciting fresh stuff rides the line between house and tech in my opinion!

tobywan

TRIBE Member
Music, like many other things in life change and evolve over time.

I think the name, or title, of the forum could be expanded a little to reflect the genre's overall influences.

loopdokter

TRIBE Promoter
I think a lot of it just has to do with the fact that most of us into 'prog' (whatever the hell that is anyway) are older and don't go out as much or are as involved in the scene. I turn 32 in a few days. I still love clubbing and the like, but I've certainly slowed and so has my involvement with the scene... Although I've started to DJ again so that may change.

djcheezwhiz

TRIBE Member
just finished reading on tranceaddict that chicane were the most influential band ever!! :) as much as i like their albums, i don't believe they are anywhere near the most influential...

some thoughts for the prog room...

hello tara!!!

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
Bracegirdle also made a guest appearance live with Bryan Adams at the 2000 Slane Concert, as seen on Adams' Live at Slane Castle DVD.
that seals it then, Chicane is dope !:p

djcheezwhiz said:
just finished reading on tranceaddict that chicane were the most influential band ever!! :)
For what? Elevator music?

I dug their music too, but Robert Miles > Chicane any day when it comes to that epic/dream trance movement that was short lived in the early to mid 90's.

loopdokter

TRIBE Promoter
el presidente Highsteppa said:
I dug their music too, but Robert Miles > Chicane any day when it comes to that epic/dream trance movement that was short lived in the early to mid 90's.
Offshore is still a killer tune!

I agree, but it made nowhere near the impact that Children and One and One had compared to anything Chicane did.

I still like Chicane's work better, but when you're talking influence, Miles all the way.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
i just havent been feeling much of the sets i have been downloading lately, just seems very boring as of late:(

even dave seaman has been making me think of long elevator rides when listening to him

anybody or any sets anyone wants to point out that are killing it right now?

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
most of the stuff i have heard from sasha and diggers is mad boring

zabiela is still doing good, but i wouldnt classify him as prog anymore, he plays bits of everything, and he is a very good dj

Aleks

TRIBE Member
yeah jz kills it the most no doubt. but i still have heard good mixes from Sasha and Digweed in late 07. if only one or two mixes... ;)

loopdokter

TRIBE Promoter
Sasha has bored me for 5 years and running.

I heard Diggers in NYC back in September and he just reaffirmed my belief as to why he's so fucking good.

Aleks

TRIBE Member
^sasha has only just gotten better in the last 3 years imho....

and the EM from Digweed at the warehouse project in Manchester was huge last year. EM of the year for me...

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
when i caught digweed at dragonfly he fuckin killed it

but i havent heard much else lately from him that has been as good

sasha just hasnt been my cup of tea lately, neither has seaman and i havent seen much of nick warren and those were the guys i could usually count on for good sets

i got some good sets from matthew dekay but they are all from 2007

loopdokter

TRIBE Promoter
basketballjones said:
sasha just hasnt been my cup of tea lately, neither has seaman and i havent seen much of nick warren and those were the guys i could usually count on for good sets
Warren was pretty damned good when I saw him at TIL a few months back. Sadly, it was pretty empty.

videotronic

TRIBE Member
one of the things i find cool about sasha is that hes either complete shit or really awesome. i heard him in montreal in i guess september and then about 2 weeks later at the guv. the montreal show was awesome. really groovy wiggly techy stuff with all sorts of cool sounds. really loose grooves and all sorts of little pockety noises playing off one another. techno that worked the hips as well as the part of your brain that ketamine hits.

fast forward 2 weeks to guv and he was just painful to listen to. ive heard paint drying that was more interesting than what he was playing that night.

i think its the mark of someone whos expressing themselves when you have big ups and downs like that. id rather take the shit with the awesome than just hear middle of the road all the time

bringthebeats

TRIBE Promoter
basketballjones said:
i just havent been feeling much of the sets i have been downloading lately, just seems very boring as of late:(
i listen to a wicked new set almost every other day. tons of good music, but i agree very little of it is coming from "the names."

loopdokter

TRIBE Promoter
bringthebeats said:
i listen to a wicked new set almost every other day. tons of good music, but i agree very little of it is coming from "the names."
That doesn't really surprise me. You can only play so many gigs at 40 years of age or older and not start getting worn out. The scene is aging and there doesn't seem to be much of a new order replacing the old. Promoters (not you Gregor, but you know who I'm talking about) are reluctant to bring in 'new' names for fear of no one showing or being able to charge more on the door.

The scene is in DESPERATE need of new and young blood. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but the old guard is so established that it's very difficult for anyone to start becoming known. Double-edged sword, really.

Kalemic

TRIBE Promoter
Psyrel said:
Not a single post for almost 3 weeks. Sad. :(
I have no idea why, but all I've been listening to (electronic music wise) is trance and d'nb' for the past while. ahahahha

coleridge

TRIBE Member
I've been listening to (and buying) lots of D'n'B lately as well.

But don't worry I'm working on a new mix that will single handedly save prog in Toronto and rejuvenate the prog room to its glory days. :)

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
Kalemic said:
I have no idea why, but all I've been listening to (electronic music wise) is trance and d'nb' for the past while. ahahahha

I'm picturing you wearing that stereotypical "junglist" outfit.

it made me laugh..

then cringe..

now I wan't to beat you up