• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Is that Hokkaido Ramen place on Dundas at Church any good?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I bike past it regularly when on my way home to Leslieville, and often see lineups. Have any of you checked it out?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
On their website menu it only looks like they serve 3 items... Is that the case?

Vise

TRIBE Member
Santouka is awesome, we actually hit them up for dinner tonight. Seemed fitting for the weather today. The Toroniku ramen (pork jowl) with shio broth is the bomb.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Santouka is awesome, we actually hit them up for dinner tonight. Seemed fitting for the weather today. The Toroniku ramen (pork jowl) with shio broth is the bomb.

What does it cost?

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
The jowl is extra. With that I think it comes to like $15.

The shio broth is indeed the bomb.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
SANTOUKA is good, better than most of the ramen places that i've tried, but i do not think it is as good as SENSOTEI, which is just a few blocks west, at dundas & chestnut.

i find the broth tastier at SENSOTEI and the consistency of the noodles to be more to my liking.

Vise

TRIBE Member
SANTOUKA is good, better than most of the ramen places that i've tried, but i do not think it is as good as SENSOTEI, which is just a few blocks west, at dundas & chestnut.
It's a toss up for me, both are excellent but I prefer the pork jowl at Santouka... its been a couple months since we've hit Sensotei though, that will be up next.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I know nothing about the finer points of noodles, but I think I will give the place a try this week.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

rave jedi

TRIBE Member
One day, after watching Tampopo—a hit Japanese comedy, that featured, about a quirky ramen establishment—SANTOUKA’s founder, Hitoshi Hatanaka and his family stopped at a ramen shop for a quick meal. Unsatisfied with the taste of the shop’s ramen, Hatanaka declared that the next time he would be the one making ramen for his family. This simple proclamation marked the beginning of the now-legendary flavor of RAMEN SANTOUKA.

History?Santouka Ramen

Just borrowed this movie "Tampopo" from the public library over the weekend. This film has been on my TDL for years. Finally gonna watch it and see what it is all about.

I'm not a noodle expert, but it really seems the Japanese ramen explosion has really taken off in the GTA. Still eating at Vietnamese Pho restaurants as I already assume it is more affordable and just as good. However, when I do buy cheap instant noodles at an Asian supermarket I always pick the Korean brands over the Chinese, Japanese,Vietnamese etc. They just seem to taste better and I enjoy the Korean noodles more. ;)