1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Is somebody going to say how Gilles Peterson was?

Discussion in 'Event Reviews' started by erika, Aug 22, 2010.

1. erika

erika TRIBE Member

Outside of sold out?

2. Illogistix

Illogistix TRIBE Member

That was one of the hottest shows I've seen in ages.

-Roberto Fonseca is so ridiculously talented - I have not seen someone work over a piano like that, maybe ever
    -Yazz-flute guy rocked
    -Killer horns section
    -Three amazing percussionists including the very hip, Vince Vella
    -Two great emcees, Ogguere, who took the party to the next level
    -And to top it all off, Danay, a singer so seriously spicy with a voice to match, who completed the transformation of the Great Hall into a true Havana nightclub. So sweaty but so good. Every inch of the stage was full of instruments, they had at least nine or 10 Cubans up there, great energy+vibe+talent=hypeshow. Of course, the man himself oversaw everything from behind the decks, introduced the artists and chatted throughout the Havana Cultura performance like he was doing one of his radio shows, topping the evening off with some slick souljazz grooves.

Much respect to Gilles P and Vince Vella for producing one of the best CDs of the past few years and for being two humble, stand-up guys.

Thanks for the memories, gents.

3. deevah

deevah TRIBE Member

^ sums it up

Thank you for somebody else writing it...I've had enough of my reviews for the minute

I'll fill in with the tunes:

[YOUTUBE]qa8M3cr6eko[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]LfOcIZ_zs5U[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]dOnBEMtBJlo[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]_T9ymtTrRdA[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]rqScKIZaurE[/YOUTUBE]

4. tobywan

tobywan TRIBE Member

Sooooo very much worth the wait!

Arrived at 10pm on the nose to quickly find out that they weren't letting in anyone who didn't have advance tix/on the guestlist, so me and my pal decided to head over to the beaconsfield to enjoy a pint and pass some time. Went back around 11:30ish and it seems like they had a change of heart and proceeded to let in those who were ready and willing to shell out their cash.

Got inside and quickly was transported to the sexy sounds of cuba, as all performers hit their stride and the crowd was eagerly taking it all in. Gilles played the part of host bang on, and his dj set afterwards was the perfect mix of weird and wonderful.

It wasn't a long night, but was precisely what I was looking for :)

5. Psyrel

Psyrel TRIBE Member

^ Wish I had known that they'd let in people without tix later on. When I got there at 9:30 one of the organizers apologetically told me that selling out took them by surprise and because of that they won't be having any door sales. Drinks at the Beaconsfield > getting soaked to the skin while trekking home!

6. knoledgebass

knoledgebass TRIBE Promoter

Gilles Peterson Brings Cuban Jazz to the World by Jesse Ship
    Gilles Peterson Brings Cuban Jazz to the World - Spinner Canada

[​IMG]

"I've always been quite aware of the negative connotations that the word jazz brings to people," radio host, record label founder and jazz aficionado Gilles Peterson admits to Spinner. "I try not to talk about it too much -- I just play it."

Strange words to hear from the man who has been credited with coining the term 'Acid Jazz' in London in the '80s and has released a slew of jazz and rare groove compilations, but music guru Peterson remains candid and self-aware of his nerdy passion.

"I got into jazz thanks to a pirate radio station called Invicta that played guys like Herbie Hancock and George Duke during their jazz/funk/disco periods. There was a steady progression starting from there, but it wasn't like I woke up one day and thought, 'Don Cherry's the man!' But now all I listen to is free jazz," he jokes.

While his tastemaking podcast, 'Gilles Peterson Worldwide,' and BBC Radio 1 show are still going strong, Gilles is currently touring and collaborating with Havana Cultura, a Cuban organization dedicated to promoting Cuban arts and cultural innovators like photographers, architects, painters and musicians through the web.

After being invited to curate content on the organization's website, Gilles was asked to help put together a sort of supergroup of Cuban talent to record an album and tour the globe under the banner of Havana Cultura. "I'd never been to Cuba before. Of course, I was a fan of the classic Cuban jazz sound, but there was a lot of fast-tracking involved for me as I was exposed to the new Cuban sounds of jazz, hip-hop, reggaeton and R&B.

The band, under the guidance and musical arrangement of Peterson and sometime-Buena Vista Social Club pianist Roberto Fonseca, proceeded to record a multi-faceted album that would reflect modern Cuba. "We recorded in a solid four days at the legendary Egrem Studio, where a lot of Buena Vista Social Club [music] was recorded. It's probably the Electric Ladyland of Havana." Other key artists involved are rap groups ObsesiĆ³n, Ogguere and sultry vocalist Danay, whom Peterson had just met.

"I've been to a lot of places around the world. Going to Cuba definitely gave me a lift in terms of the amount of passion people had for music, how much it was in their lives," he explains. "Maybe I was lucky, but I've never worked with people who had such a strong desire to make something so great."

When releasing and playing music is a full time job, it can be hard to keep the spark alive. Peterson divulges, "Some of the selections for the CD were prepared; some of it was just instinct. I have responsibilities to keep turning out music, but if I overthink it, then I won't be able to listen and enjoy it the way people naturally should. It's a weird combination of things. I just sort of go with the flow."