• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Is Silicon Valley worth watching?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Is Silicon Valley worth watching? Or is it just another lame network tv show?

Stop Bill C-10

silver1

TRIBE Member
Absolutely.

Funniest show I've seen in years.

I describe it as a cross between Office Space and Big Bang Theory.

deep

TRIBE Member
I fucking love this show. The startup scene has needed the stuffing kicked out of it for so long and I really hope the audience ratings extend beyond just the geeks who live and breathe this stuff as the humour is as good as anything.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
I'm watching it, but I'd be surprised if it gets renewed. The writing is Californication quality, with a dynamic that is Big Bang Theory meets Entourage. The start-up angle and Martin Starr as the satanist programmer help redeem the show, but the rest of the cast, especially, Richard the twitchy protagonist are mostly insufferable.

Watching an episode of Louie right after this brought into stark relief what disposable cable candy Silicon Valley is whereas Louie is well written dark comedy pushing television forward.

Edit: I think there is a weird phenomenon where when a new series launches, the novelty factor inflates its actual worth.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
this-is-what-happens-in-silicon-valley-hbos-takedown-of-the-tech-scene.jpg

After 2 episodes I want to punch that lumberjack hipster noodle guy in the face.

kerouacdude

TRIBE Member
Around when the 1st episode came out a former Silicon Valley guy wrote in Slate how disappointing and lazy the show was, how it put no effort into really understanding that world.
Seemed like a too harsh and inside baseball kind of critique at the time, but after 6 episodes I kind of see his point. I'm a big Mike Judge fan but the show's really middling. Thought the first 2 or 3 had real promise but I didn't even make it all the way through the last couple. HATED the Mexican episode.
Personally I like the lead guy, it's a tricky part, and I think Gabe from The Office is killing it. TJ Miller, when he's reined in is cool, but he's often unhinged. Thought he was better in that show with Beau Bridges. The bickering between Martin Starr and the Indian guy (Loved him in the Portlandia cell phone store sketch) is real tiresome.

I like it a lot - TJ Miller can be really, really funny when he's properly handled, Gabe from the Office is pretty hilarious and I really don't have a problem with any of the cast.

It's still trying to find it's footing, but I'm confident that by the second season they'll be more comfortable with their own skin.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I like it a lot - TJ Miller can be really, really funny when he's properly handled, Gabe from the Office is pretty hilarious and I really don't have a problem with any of the cast.

It's still trying to find it's footing, but I'm confident that by the second season they'll be more comfortable with their own skin.

OK, I am at E06 and I am liking Hairy Noodle Lumberjack guy a bit better now.

This show will make the world a better place!

rentboy

TRIBE Member

Agreed on TJ Miller. I listen to his podcast with Cash Levy and he's hilarious.

Ms. Fit

TRIBE Member
I'm watching it, but I'd be surprised if it gets renewed. The writing is Californication quality, with a dynamic that is Big Bang Theory meets Entourage. The start-up angle and Martin Starr as the satanist programmer help redeem the show, but the rest of the cast, especially, Richard the twitchy protagonist are mostly insufferable.

Watching an episode of Louie right after this brought into stark relief what disposable cable candy Silicon Valley is whereas Louie is well written dark comedy pushing television forward.

Edit: I think there is a weird phenomenon where when a new series launches, the novelty factor inflates its actual worth.

This.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Wow that dick episode was epic! Spoiler alert:

[YOUTUBE]4zYWyXwKrHg[/YOUTUBE]

praktik

TRIBE Member
To be honest I am more entertained watching Silicon Valley than I am watching Louie.

Louie is a weird mix of boredom and grey matter firing. He finds a way to weave in some really great angles that make you think, but the pacing is glacial. Still worth it and I love Louie CK and will watch every show.

But I am way more entertained by Silicon Valley.

defazman

TRIBE Member
I think it's pretty funny. My wife worked in the start up world for a bit and says the show is spot on. Some of her old coworkers can't even watch the show due to it's uncomfortable accuracy.

kuba

TRIBE Member
"Halt and Catch Fire" was rather boring to the untrained computer nerd/slash person who knows what the hell is going on. I get the story but I'm not interested in seeing any more episodes. (as a comparison to silicon valley which I have yet to see)

awwnaw

TRIBE Member
I thought Halt and Catch Fire was actually the new tech themed show that was worth watching. Curious that Silicon Valley gained momentum.

kerouacdude

TRIBE Member
I loved the first episode of Halt, 3 or 4 strong characters and a lot of possibilities plot wise. Seems like the critics are mixed but if it's a good show that only lasts 12 episodes, so be it.

Dialog

TRIBE Member
Halt struck me much like Rubicon and Low Winter Sun; they are playing a risky game of establishing characters at the price of a glacial pace. I appreciate that the writes want the series, should it become established, to be 'perfect' from pilot to series finale, but if it fails to secure audience interest, their planning is all for nought. I'll watch a few more episodes...