• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Is Reddit the final knockout for forums such as Tribe?

Primavera

TRIBE Member
Hi,

So I've been an active user of forums/boards over the years, Torontoraves (RIP), Torontojungle (RIP), Tribe, etc etc.

Now I mainly spend my time on Reddit.

Anyone else who is on Reddit feel like it's basically been a big catalyst to the end of typical message boards / forums?

Or was Facebook the bigger competition forums have faced?

diablo

TRIBE Member
Forums in general (and this forum specifically) are petering out for a bunch of reasons, including the shift to FB.

I would argue that the shift to Reddit is more content-related (you can easily kill 30 minutes or more browsing), and the shift to FB is more social/privacy-based (you can control who sees your stuff, delete posts, etc).

praktik

TRIBE Member
I thought the combined effect of aging and the dilution of what was previously underground is what is killing this board.

Such is life.

Primavera

TRIBE Member
I think forums in general only survive at this point because of a personal connection between the members. Sometimes users feel more confortable posting somewhere where they actually know some of the other members and have a common history together in something.

Reddit thrives based on the userbase and the constant stream of content and the ability to rank postings. People rarely "know" each other, unless its a small subreddit with a loyal crowd of posters. But something like r/toronto has just a ton of content constantly being discussed. Whereas I once went to TorontoJungle or Tribe to discuss local Toronto issues they have now been largely usurped by Reddit as the userbase has gone down and there doesn't seem to be a base of people starting discussions. Tribe survives on its million year old mega threads on random topics.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

diablo

TRIBE Member
Tribe survives on its million year old mega threads on random topics.
While megathreads can help with providing a fairly constant stream of content (no comment on the quality), I think they end up doing more harm than good. Rather than starting a new thread on a topic, new posts are shoehorned into existing threads that may be only tangentially related, which makes it look like the front page hasn't budged in weeks. While I may click a thread about - for example - a new Underworld single, I'm probably not going to bother opening an Underworld tour thread from 2009, even if it happens to be at the top of the page.

...and then there's also the fact that a lot of the content that ends up in megathreads is probably something that people have already seen on Reddit etc.

greginhali

TRIBE Member
I have tried to get into reddit, but just cant. Not sure if it is the massive volume of stuff that over whellems. Im sure there is some tricks to refine it down to something more manageable.

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
I have tried to get into reddit, but just cant. Not sure if it is the massive volume of stuff that over whellems. Im sure there is some tricks to refine it down to something more manageable.
the trick is logging into tribe, and seeing what tribe/redditors are cross posting here. Saves you lots of time!