• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

is it Z or S ??

lush191

TRIBE Member
example:

organized
or
organised???

i always thought it was a Z, but have noticed that many use an S--whats the story??

Chicago Kid

TRIBE Member
I'm guessing "organised" is the British spelling versus the use of "z" in the American English spelling, which is the case for a lot of words.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
Isn't there a difference in context?

i.e "I realized that the tumor was the size of a basketball" vs. "I realised my dream of having a basketball-sized tumor."

sugar

TRIBE Member
Both spellings are acceptable in Canadian English. The important thing is to stick to one variant throughout the text that you're writing.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

JAR

TRIBE Member
sugar said:
Both spellings are acceptable in Canadian English. The important thing is to stick to one variant throughout the text that you're writing.
I think both spellings are becoming acceptable worldwide. I work part-time for the British Council in China marking IELTS (International English Language Testing System) exams and both s and z spellings are considered correct on the exam. I agree that what's important is being consistent.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

sugar

TRIBE Member
SlipperyPete said:
...don't leave me hangin' Allison
In my mind I was twirling your mustache, but out loud I was high-fiving the Chicago Manual of Style. But I was in my office, so you couldn't see. Next time I'll remember to turn on the webcam.

basilisk

TRIBE Member
I actually try to make a point of writing in Canadian English specifically. Funny that they never teach you this shit in schools.

http://www.luther.ca/~dave7cnv/cdnspelling/cdnspelling.html

Until recently I didn't realize that throwing 'u' around isn't the way to make it Canadian. I read somewhere that colour expands to colorful, humour to humorous, not colourful or humourous. Whadda youze guys say, izzat aboot right?

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
sugar said:
In my mind I was twirling your mustache, but out loud I was high-fiving the Chicago Manual of Style. But I was in my office, so you couldn't see. Next time I'll remember to turn on the webcam.
lol!