• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Is it worth it to have a suit altered?

diablo

TRIBE Member
I used to have to wear suits to work. I no longer do. As such, I only wear suits a few times a year for weddings, fancy dinners, etc. I'd like to get a few of my suits narrowed (arms, trunk, legs) for a trimmer fit. Shoulders do not need to be adjusted. Nothing too drastic - no weight gain/loss.

Has anyone done this? Is it worth it? Or will I end up with suits that just look "off" and end up having to buy new ones anyway?

derek

TRIBE Member
sounds like a minor alteration(s) which should be doable. it gets tricky when they have cut too much fabric.

the_fornicator

TRIBE Member
Arms might be tricky as you to decrease the diameter/circumference of the sleeve, if too much, you need more fabric in the torso portion of the suit to compensate for that. It's easy to cut things down, but they won't be able to add fabric.

For the amount of work that you're talking about, I'm guessing at least $$150-200. For that money, why not just go to Moore's or something and pick something up while it's on sale?

Rage

TRIBE Member
I was in the same boat 2 weeks ago & I got my suit altered for $50 and it fits me perfectly - glad I did it.

I guess it depends on how much you paid for your suit originally. Some Moores' special for $150/$200? Meh. Custom tailored/made to measure, might be worth it.

diablo

TRIBE Member
Ended up getting one suit tailored, and it came out great. It cost a bit more than I expected, but still way less than a new suit (even a moderately-priced one).

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
Arms are easy to narrow as long as it isn't drastic (since you can't really make the arm *holes* smaller without pulling the jacket apart).

Most off the rack and made to measure suits need arm narrowing because they make them with oversized arm holes so the jacket can fit as many body types as possible.