1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

is it worth fixing?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Mrs. Pink, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Mrs. Pink

Mrs. Pink TRIBE Member

My laptop hard drive went caput yesterday.....it's an older laptop, bout 3 years old....

is it worth fixing, or does it make sense to just purchase a new one and just extract any data i can from the old one?

thoughts?

2. xtcfreak

xtcfreak TRIBE Member

3 Years old is not that old.. what do you use it for? What is the specs? It may be just worth it to buy a new HD.

As far as recovering the data, if the thing still spins, you could try PhotoRec , it works good.

Jay

3. Mrs. Pink

Mrs. Pink TRIBE Member

apparently, hard drive doesn't spin at all.....I use if for djing, some production stuff....browsing. It's an HP Pavillion DV6000 i think...if that makes sense....if not that one, a very similar model.

4. basilisk

basilisk TRIBE Member

Pop a new HD in there if you can. I recently opted to retrofit rather than make a new purchase at 4 or 5 times the cost. No regrets.

5. Mrs. Pink

Mrs. Pink TRIBE Member

now, does this mean if i do that i've lost all my data?

6. basilisk

basilisk TRIBE Member

Sure. You have two issues here: 1) data recovery, and 2) what to do with the laptop. I don't know anything about the first but my advice for the second is simply to get a new HD, install a new OS, etc.

7. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

^ big notebook drives are cheap too

8. Wiseman

Wiseman TRIBE Member

Dude if the harddrive isn't even spinning any more it could be pretty expensive to retrieve that data. Do you have any data backed up?

9. technowelt

technowelt TRIBE Member

It should not be too expensive if the problem is the controller board. If its an internal component that has failed, then it becomes pricey.