• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!
14K Cannabis seed slider pendants by tribe

Is it just me??? help a brother in need

miscreant

TRIBE Member
Not sure how to word this question fully so I am going to just blurt it all out. I can honestly say music is the most important aspect of my life and has been for the last 14 - 15 years, and as an artistic person in their field it takes up almost all of my time in my daily life. In life things change and we enter different stages of our lives like buying a car, raise a family etc, etc.. but you see i was the guy that bought a bunch of gear in high school instead of a car and I am the guy hanging out in the record store spending all my cash then in the bar, I am the guy analyizing a song he is hearing at club instead of analyzing that hot girl's ass... I think you get the picture.

So basically yes I am a studio nerd, gear head whatever but I also enjoy the other aspects of life. So yes I have had many girlfriends but it seems like the biggest challenge I face when in a relationship is how do I distribute my time? I always want to junk out and work on beats, spend a whole night organizing my sound collection or record collecton, spend a night working on a killer patch etc, etc and I always have some kind of project in the works, so much in fact that it almost becomes a chore to spend time with the girl.

Once again you get the picture, so my conclusion is that I haven't found the right woman because she would bring out the best in me regardless, but does anyone else have this problem or am I the unloveable techno musician?

Any experiences people can share would be great because sometimes I feel REALLY alone on this planet, I have a good group of great friends but none of them are the geeky type, I am the geek of the group, they are in the bar every night picking up girls and partying and I usually stay home and mix or work on a track.

Cheers

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
miscreant said:
I always have some kind of project in the works, so much in fact that it almost becomes a chore to spend time with the girl.
yeah, i have the exact same issue, but if you're not careful it can actually lead to anxiety and depression.

i was[am] always on the go, recording a new mix, producing a track, patch-making geek-out sessions, whatever. i used to actually feel bogged down all the time, like there weren't even enough hours in the day to get music done, let alone housework, spending time with the gf, my dogs etc.

luckily i recognized the need for balance before it was too late.

i could easily have fallen into a rut, like i have a habbit of doing, because the more shit piles up around you, the more stressed-out you become, thus you lose motivation, and suddenly you find that you don't want to do much of anything, music related or no.

the key is to set realistic goals, and have a structured, healthy obsession.
what i had[have] was[is] unhealthy.:D

i would go into more detail, but the music won't make itself.:p

Mike Goodwin

TRIBE Member
docta seuss said:

i could easily have fallen into a rut, like i have a habbit of doing, because the more shit piles up around you, the more stressed-out you become, thus you lose motivation, and suddenly you find that you don't want to do much of anything, music related or no.
exactly

Tribe 14K gold cannabis seed slider pendant and chain

miscreant

TRIBE Member
docta seuss said:
yeah, i have the exact same issue, but if you're not careful it can actually lead to anxiety and depression.

i was[am] always on the go, recording a new mix, producing a track, patch-making geek-out sessions, whatever. i used to actually feel bogged down all the time, like there weren't even enough hours in the day to get music done, let alone housework, spending time with the gf, my dogs etc.

the key is to set realistic goals, and have a structured, healthy obsession.
what i had[have] was[is] unhealthy.:D

i would go into more detail, but the music won't make itself.:p
Thank you this is what I am getting at, being so involved. Not making time for other things. You are right about setting realistic goals. I let too much pile up on me which does effect my work on music. I have to find the right balance.

I feel better today :)

cheers guys

vveerrgg

TRIBE Promoter
do what i do..... structure part of your life around your hobby, so then even if you're not in the studio, you're doing something that makes / supports your creative urges. For me... it's been podcasting and writing.... both which can be done with friends and outside of the studio......

but yeah.... even taking "the girl" to see bands that she might like that you can tolerate so you can scope their setups is good too....

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
Syntax Error said:
just get married and then you can use music as an excuse to get away from your horrible wife.
Is that what you do?
or is that the reason why you find your productions are becoming so shitty as of late.

:cool:

vveerrgg

TRIBE Promoter
TheLiquidFairy said:
Find a woman in the same line of work that understands your type of schedule?

That or castrate yourself, or take prozac.

MG
are you single? ;) you're into makin tunes......