• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Is having java on your computer still a big security risk?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
With all those warnings about the evils of having java on your computer, I took it off. Now however I have a trusted site I have to access and it uses java and wants me to install it.

Should I do this?

Or is there a way to firewall java so it will only work with that one website if I install it?

Aaron Bradley

TRIBE Promoter
The Java VM allows you to run Java programs on them. A port on a firewall works on proxies or sockets (i.e. port 80, telnet, FTP...etc). Java doesn't run on a port (net:socket)

The worst thing you can do is have an outdated version. Where are you hearing it is unsafe?

Aaron Bradley

TRIBE Promoter
not going to edit... I'll just reply. That being said, I'm not 100% sure that the JVN doesn't make some sort of requests or outbound connections when running a java app.

If you want to find that out, do a dump on your network interface when running java. It's hard to read, but at least you will have the true answer.

Are you running windows or linux/unix