• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Is anything going into the huge former Sears space at the Eaton Centre?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I walked through that space the other day to get to the rest of the mall and marveled at how huge the space is - just walking down that long boarded up corridor seemed to take forever.

Is another large store going in that space? A wallmart? Or are they going to turn it into condos?

Liability

TRIBE Member
I walked through that space the other day to get to the rest of the mall and marveled at how huge the space is - just walking down that long boarded up corridor seemed to take forever.

Is another large store going in that space? A wallmart? Or are they going to turn it into condos?
I am pretty sure a Nordstroms is going in there. They are planned to open for early 2016.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
nordstrum's is one of the big u.s. higher-end department store chains, alongside saks, barneys and neiman marcus. then they have the slightly cheaper chains bloomingdales and macy's.

i am amazed that u.s. cities can support so much competition amongst department stores, which largely carry the same brands and go after the same clientele.

nordstrum's in the u.s. is amazing for men's suits (as are all of the above-mentioned chains), but i have a feeling they will be using canadian prices in their canadian stores, which is unfortunately much more expensive than their american prices. if they used their clout to introduce american pricing into canada, that would be a game changer in canadian retail.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
if they used their clout to introduce american pricing into canada, that would be a game changer in canadian retail.
I think it is pure greed KW... Just look at the state of Target after their entry into Canada. I guess these big players think that since we pay 3x more than anyone else for crappy cellphone service, we can pay 20% more for everything else.

acheron

TRIBE Member
Target's struggling, will likely close a bunch of stores, fall back and regroup kind of thing. Shame we had to lose Zellers in the process. There is now a huge opening in the canadian retail market with lots of real estate available.

Dialog

TRIBE Member
Target's struggling, will likely close a bunch of stores, fall back and regroup kind of thing. Shame we had to lose Zellers in the process. There is now a huge opening in the canadian retail market with lots of real estate available.
But Zellers was absolute shit...?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
If I remember correctly there might have been a party thrown in the Eatons store in MTL when it closed. NYE maybe early 00s? Google is not helping.

Maui

TRIBE Member
Well that's Montreal. Those guy's would throw a party in the police headquarters if they were feeling randy on a hot summer's day.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
Would it not make sense to divide the huge sears space into a few smaller stores? I mean it is a huge space I think any store would have a hard time paying for that and at the same time turning a profit.

Maui

TRIBE Member
Would it not make sense to divide the huge sears space into a few smaller stores? I mean it is a huge space I think any store would have a hard time paying for that and at the same time turning a profit.
Sense being the key word, But It's all about wowing the consumer with the biggest and most lavish environment. I mean look at how well Circa did. Maybe they should install strobe lights to put the customers into a trance. ;)

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Techdruid

TRIBE Member

Yep I work in the Eaton Centre business tower and the monolith below will remain whole. We don't even call it the Eaton Centre anymore... it's a "Cadillac Fairview property." *tear*

Destiny Productions

TRIBE Promoter
Nope - fired the CEO and doubling down with another 100+ stores in Canada..

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Primavera

TRIBE Member
I'm just bewildered why it's going to take more than 2 1/2 years to convert the vacated Sears space into a Nordtrom's.

It really takes that long to move in and renovate?

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
Permits ? Structural changes ?
Most Sears stores have zero inner ' charm '. I'm betting they're doing a complete reno, and for such a large space, 2 years isn't that much.