• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Is anybody using AMD 64 dual core CPU

Hypnotoad

TRIBE Member
I've got a server running a single AMD 64 that runs quite spiffly under Gentoo linux/2.6 kernel. I suspect the dual cores will be nearly, but not quite, double the spiffy. :)

Dr. Grinch

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Hypnotoad
I've got a server running a single AMD 64 that runs quite spiffly under Gentoo linux/2.6 kernel. I suspect the dual cores will be nearly, but not quite, double the spiffy. :)
It's like 1.6 approximately. Still better than a kick in the pants.

We have a few 4Way Dual cores for testing. They beat the shit out of our 8 Way Xeon machines.
Processor architecture is interesting.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
i have heard nothing but good things about them....

with the experience of building the board server using opterons and watching how smooth they are in an enterprise setting and using a Barton Core XP 3100 Athlon here at home i have grown to respect AMD.

those dual core 64s look nice for a home machine...

Dr. Grinch

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by alexd
i have heard nothing but good things about them....

with the experience of building the board server using opterons and watching how smooth they are in an enterprise setting and using a Barton Core XP 3100 Athlon here at home i have grown to respect AMD.

Just don't go 4-Way with Opteron's yet. There's a flaw in the basic design of the CPU that can create a lot of latency ni a 4-Way configuration.

That being said, 4 Way Xeon's are even worse (excluding IBM machines)

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I am just looking to build a home machine maybe with 1 dual core AMD 64.

d.code

TRIBE Member
Id like to upgrade my machine to a dual core AMD. Need more rendering power!!!!!!

Im pretty sure I can do it too. Im a bit new to this stuff.

Last edited: