• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Ironing vs. Steaming

MoFo

TRIBE Member
We've all used an iron and we know it works. But what about a steamer?
I'm thinking of buying one and it seems stores use it.
Does anyone use one regularly or are they just an informercial thing that doesn't really work as well as an iron?

Last edited:
Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
i've always thought that a steamer would work well on garments that have lots of layers. you know when you're ironing something and it has lined pockets or doubled over fabric, so when you iron it, all the outlines of the other material shows through?
i figure that wouldn't happen with a steamer.
but what do i know? i can't iron to save my life.

i'm such a failure as a woman. i can't cook, i can't iron, i can't sew, i'm not even very good at cleaning... sad really.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Booty Bits

but what do i know? i can't iron to save my life.

i'm such a failure as a woman. i can't cook, i can't iron, i can't sew, i'm not even very good at cleaning... sad really.

You have really nice honkers though. :D

On a serious note, I can't iron either. I always end up getting these sheeny hot spots or I iron permanent creases. I've been practicing for years. Still can't do it properly.
Thought a steamer might relieve me of my ironing duties.

Neo-Marxist

TRIBE Member
Get an iron that steams at the same time. Black and Decker make the best ones. My clothes always come out nice and crisp, no matter how wrinkled.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Poot

TRIBE Member
My friend bought a steamer and loves it.

A little too much, some might say... but it seems to make her happy!

Good call for clothes that are easily ruined by a "just slightly too warm" iron.

littlenutty

TRIBE Member
steamers. hands down.

I work at a store that sells semi-expensive clothes... and the steamer is so much better. It's way faster, they don't burn your clothes, way more delicate and you can be more precise

deveator

TRIBE Member
Steamers are the best! Not only can you get the wrinkles out of clothes but you can also use them to give yourself a spa quality facial or humidify your room during those long dry winters!:)

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Neo-Marxist
Get an iron that steams at the same time. Black and Decker make the best ones. My clothes always come out nice and crisp, no matter how wrinkled.

I have one of those. It's basically an iron with steam. I still have to iron which I am really bad at.
With steaming, there's no folding and flipping involved right because you hang your clothes to steam?

Steamers for sure.

However, the only good ones I've used are the ones that clothings stores use.

The piddly shitty small ones that I've used at hotels or wherever suck so badly it's not really worth buying one.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
go to a dollar store and get a cheap one, or hang clothes in the broom with door closed while having a shower. steam is steam

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by daddyiwantchocolate
Steamers for sure.

However, the only good ones I've used are the ones that clothings stores use.

The piddly shitty small ones that I've used at hotels or wherever suck so badly it's not really worth buying one.

Yeah, I don't want one that's equivalent to a dustbuster. I like big vacuums. Big sewing machines. Big microwaves.
So where can I get a big-time steamer? And how much would it run me???

Looking at Sears right now..

And Alex, I've tried the hot shower steam thing. Doesn't work at all.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
So this one:
00862086000-dlv.jpg
$25

or this one:
00862084000-dlv.jpg

$100

lol, I love this. Tribe is my tupperware party!

labRat

TRIBE Member
antsteamer.jpg

AntSteamer

gonzteamer.jpg

GonZteamer

try spritzing your clothes with water and then throwing them into the dryer for about 15 minutes ... that only works well if you have a dryer at your disposal.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
I do have a dryer at the new place but I want sharp collars, crisp sides.

CRISP, YA HEAR ME??!!!

Poot

TRIBE Member
Steaming won't give you crisp anything.

It'll just get the wrinkles out.

If you want crisp, you's gonna have to iron.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Ok, thanks.
Good to know. I thought a steamer just does what an iron does but without the damage.

Gotcha. Thanks.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Oh shit, that's another question I wanted to ask but didn't want to get weird looks from the cleaners if they didn't do it:

can I just get my shit ironed and pay for it?

The Tesseract

TRIBE Member
Steamers are better for Linens.

<=== knows... used to sell them at a home store

If you're doing shirts, you can't beat a good iron with a teflon base and some Easy-On.

Poot

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by MoFo
Oh shit, that's another question I wanted to ask but didn't want to get weird looks from the cleaners if they didn't do it:

can I just get my shit ironed and pay for it?

You could always *67 & call the cleaners. Then tell them you have "a friend" who wants to know.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Re: quick fix?

Originally posted by Jessica P
I betcha want six second abs, too.

Geeeeeze...

I want six-second flat surfaces on my shirts to go over my already-existent 6-second abs.

Big Cheese

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by The Tesseract
Steamers are better for Linens.

yes and well if you got the time, a good iron and a can of liquid starch will make the end result look much better granted you know what the hell your doing to a shirt sunnito.

steamers are good like booty mentioned for multilayered items and as well with what val said, most of the ones that are not for industrial use are ass.....

sunny msn me for any questions, i'm a viking when it comes to this brew haha

gregorski