1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

IRON MAN 2 - reviews and discussion

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Klubmasta Will, May 5, 2010.

1. Klubmasta Will

Klubmasta Will TRIBE Member

there are no real spoilers in this first post.

the movie is entertaining, but there is no real point to it, in that it does not advance the iron man universe or the characters in any significant way.

the two main baddies are justin hammer, who is played start to finish like a buffoon which may work for your comic relief character but not so much for your main baddie, and whiplash, who has never been a serious villain in the iron man universe.

scarlett johanson is pleasing eye candy as black widow, and her fight scenes are decent but they are all purely the result of camera tricks. the fight scenes would have been so much more impressive if they had combined genuine athletic ability with those same camera tricks.

don cheadle is good as war machine, but nothing to write home about.

my biggest disappointment was samuel jackson as nick fury. jackson plays the character the same as he has played every other character he's ever played, and that's just not nick fury. he plays him like a smart-ass street thug, and not like the baddest military genious/spy that ever lived. hopefully joss whedon will be able to mold the nick fury performance into something that is more respectful to the character. jackson tries too hard to "out cool" tony stark, and that's not a good idea.

at the end of the day, despite all the flaws, the movie is entertaining, mostly due to robert downey jr. who once again is excellent as tony stark, and his enjoyable exchanges with pepper potts. i just wish the movie had done more to push tony's character development and story forward.

the movie felt like a couple of filler issues of the comic book, not like a significant turning point or event in the iron man mythology.

the movie gets a 6.5 out of 10 from me.

it would have been nice to see more mention of the makluan rings, which would eventually lead to the emergence of the mandarin, iron man's greatest enemy. in the first iron man movie, we saw both raza and obadiah stane possess makluan rings, with stane then taking raza's ring after possibly killing him. in this new movie, other than the fact that justin hammer is also shown wearing what may be a makluan ring, there is no further mention or suggestion of the mandarin character.

2. Klubmasta Will

ps. thanks to timmah for the advance screening passes! jelo - we await your review. :)

3. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

I will wait for Zoolander 2

4. synchronizator

synchronizator TRIBE Member

you'll be waiting a long time. it got canned. so did anchorman 2. paramount shut em both down, and they own the rights to both franchises so they can't even go to another studio. :(

5. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

I read in the Star today that Zoolander 2 is in production.

6. Too many plotlines that go nowhere (or are set up for the Avengers movie). All the writing that made the first movie so snappy and fun to watch is pretty much gone for the most part. The cast is (for the most part) making use of the material they have before them, though I'm not sure if Mickey Rourke really "gets" being a super villain - he reminds me a bit of Robert De Niro in the Rocky and Bullwinkle movie.

Too many characters, Black Widow really could have been cut out of the movie entirely, and I would have liked it better. And why do we have to wait for the halfway point to see Samuel L. Jackson show up as Nick Fury? The only thing that elevated the movie was the footage after the credits (which is basically an advertisement for the next Marvel movie in 2011).

It's a special effects brain dead summer sequel for the sake of making a sequel. And it looks like more of the same for the rest of the summer, with the exception of Christopher Nolan's Inception (dream thieves sounds kinda trippy).

And Alexd is correct, Zoolander 2 is getting off the ground - just got greenlighted to start production yesterday.

Last edited: May 5, 2010
  7. Lil'Timmy

Lil'Timmy TRIBE Promoter

Glad you somewhat liked it! I kinda figured it is going to be like you said, the early reviews from the UK and Australia are almost on par with your's and Highsteppa's reviews. That being said, 2012 is going to be an epic summer movie year

8. Persephone

Persephone TRIBE Member

This was worth sifting through this thread.

Off to the mud room!

9. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

Got my tickets for imax midnight tomorrow in Vaughan. yay.

10. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

Aww man....I was hoping for more of the "Demon In A Bottle" storyline in this movie.

:(

I'll still see it though.

11. Thunder

Thunder TRIBE Member

it's too bad about it being a lame sequel but I can't say i'm surprised.

12. Klubmasta Will

^ there are elements of tony stark's drinking problem in the movie, but they are not handled well. they were used mostly for comic relief scenes and unecessary destruction.

don't get me wrong, despite all the criticisms, it's still a very entertaining way to spend 2 hours. it's just not nearly on the same level as the superior superhero sequels like SPIDER-MAN 2, SUPERMAN 2, THE DARK KNIGHT or even X-MEN 2.

13. --[Zirca]--

--[Zirca]-- TRIBE Promoter

This review sums it up perfectly. I was never bored, it was fun, but it lacked the punch of the first one.

Scarlett J's character was a waste of time. It seems like Samuel Jackson is the same character in every movie he is in....himself.

Downy, Paltrow and the Faverau (sp?) are what make the movie a success imo.

14. J e l o

J e l o TRIBE Member

let down

it's always dope to see a combo of SPFX & Marvel characters. overall though i was let down. it seemed that the first half of the film was moving in the right direction. the pace, the story... it was going great right up until the birthday party scene...after that, i'm not sure what the movie was trying to accomplish.
    don cheadle was not good as rhodey and i think don's a dope actor. why do they write rhodey so soft in these films. howard wasn't great in IM1 either...
    disagree with y'all about black widow-she kept up with downey in this film and i did think her actions scenes were fire. this isn't a kung fu film KMW, it's a woman who's never had fight training before and i thought she handled it.
    they screwed up on nick fury. sam coulda played this deadpan. it'd been more effective had he. hell, black widow seemed much more serious in tone than her supposed commander. wtf marvel. that's nick fucking fury. failcore.
    downey is awesomesauce. i thought for a moment while the bday scene was going on that maybe, just maybe they'd hint at the alcoholism but instead we get this overall goofy scene. is that really how rhodey gets war machine? i mean, really? damn. that's stupid. that bday scene killed the film for me.
    towards the third quarter i'd had enough.

i get it. marvel is setting up the avengers. this the big bang for them. i'd believe that getting there should be as fun and filled with continuity. marvel could learn a thing or 3 from kirkman about that.
    i want quality control. doesn't marvel care? if they keep misfiring like this avengers be damned. i won't give a shit. what's next? hulk tap dancing at his nephews bar mitzvah?

i'm going lower than KMW
    5/10

15. basketballjones

basketballjones TRIBE Member

i dont know how samual l jackson gets roles, he plays the same character over and over again

16. Part of me wonders how much of the disappointment in Iron Man 2 comes from the Disney buy out of Marvel and if this is a sign of things to come. Much like KMW was saying, I was entertained, but kept thinking to myself how much better it could have been, and I was picking it apart w/ my wife almost immediately after it was done.

17. Zorro

Zorro TRIBE Member

18. Lil'Timmy

Lil'Timmy TRIBE Promoter

Saw it on Sunday, and I could repeat everything Jelo said beasically.
    Meh, it was entertaining at times, but War Machine vs Iron Man vs Daft Punk = c'mon really?!

19. dstarr

dstarr TRIBE Member

Agreed, this movie is a bit of a mess. Best to just sit back and try to enjoy the bigness of it all and not think.

The Justin Hammer character confused me a bit. One minute I think he's an idiot (at the car race he seems to come off a bit desperate) and the next he's positioned as some killer gun salesman (what I believed to be the point of the little gun expo he does for Cheadle and that other guy to weponize the suit). So I was never really sure to believe he could be a real bad-guy.

And I also didn't understand how Cheadle could just jump into the suit... didn't they say that there were safety mechanisms or something?

I enjoyed the ride but it seems like the only thing they figured we wanted to see was more iterations of a person in an iron suit.

I will say the senate hearing scene is good and Robert Downey Jr. is awesome as always.

20. vinder

vinder TRIBE Member

it was entertaining, but the story and the fight scenes didn't live up to iron man 1.

21. Musical Rush

Musical Rush TRIBE Member

The movie gets a 6 ( boring)

Scarlett Johansson gets a 10!! damn, she's getting hotter

22. Buddy Holly

Buddy Holly TRIBE Member

I like the movie. It's Iron Man, what can you really expect?!?!....I wasn't impressed with the final fight scene. Only about 3 minutes?!?!....C'mon! It was a great action flick.

23. Musical Rush

Musical Rush TRIBE Member

The arms dealer guy had to go where the fuck did they find this guy? I think he graduated from Keanu Reeves school of acting.