• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

iriver 2004 mp3 & media player lineup

deep

TRIBE Member
I just spooged all over myself ... the ifp-800 is what I've been waiting for

http://www.atozia.com/board/board.php?table=tableboard02&action=re&l=779&de=0&p=1&PHPSESSID=5a8e21f2d7e20521883a6802db674fab

ifp-700

ifp-800

50 hours playback on one AA
usb 2.0
up to 1 gig capacity

ifp-1000

built in camera
color lcd

ifp-900

color lcd
magnesium case

ifp-1100

20 hours playback on built in battery, charges via usb
smaller form factor
up to 512 mb storage

ihp-300
20-40 gig capacity
color screen
16 hour playback off a single charge

Last edited:

zoo

TRIBE Member
too bad we can't get our dirty little hands on them NOW

i'm about to buy an mp3 cd player, any suggestions nerds?

the iriver SLIMX is nifty and all but so is the panasornic schorckwave

deep

TRIBE Member
check that link zoo...they've got iriver's upcoming mp3-cd players as well as their new portable media players (i.e. video)

I'm getting a 512-1 gig sized flash player to supplant the role of my mp3 cd player

Aerius Zension

TRIBE Member
That sounds awesome, esp the 50hr playback off a single AA alkaline (Though I'd use my disposable lithiums). How can they pull this off?

Still, I don't want to entirely outdate my CD's, so this appeals to me more...

...but

What's the diff between these two?

Any prices???

CDN? USD?

deep

TRIBE Member
I think the 800 has higher storage capacity ... it'll probably be the one with 512 or 1024 megabytes of storage...700 with lower

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Aerius Zension

TRIBE Member
A daddy mp1 and a mommy mp2 come together with lots of love and create an mp3. Sometimes, the bond can be so special that it can create an mp4.

:D

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

soulmantra

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by basic
OK I need my dumbed down refresher here.

How do mp3 players work? They're not flash memory, are they?
well i just picked up this little beauty a few months ago and honestly it dominates like i never thought possible. it's so small and powerful. you could hold it in your fist and conceal it almost completely.

this one is a flash memory player. an iPod is not though. it just depends. an iPod uses a hard drive. my flash player doesn't really have any moving parts.

oh ya and it has FM radio (recordable), a mic (recordable), and even a line in to record directly from a source to the mp3 format.

Last edited:

Moez

TRIBE Member
okay I'm sorry if this is the dumbest question ever BUT

what does "flash player" mean?

is that just a fancy word for mp3 player?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
I believe flash is short for flash EEPROM (notice the ROM part-- like RAM, but O so different).

The flash means it's reset by UV rays, or was that just back in the day when I gave a flying fuck?

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci213928,00.html

EEPROM

EEPROM (electrically erasable programmable read-only memory) is user-modifiable read-only memory (ROM) that can be erased and reprogrammed (written to) repeatedly through the application of higher than normal electrical voltage. Unlike EPROM chips, EEPROMs do not need to be removed from the computer to be modified. However, an EEPROM chip has to be erased and reprogrammed in its entirety, not selectively. It also has a limited life - that is, the number of times it can be reprogrammed is limited to tens or hundreds of thousands of times. In an EEPROM that is frequently reprogrammed while the computer is in use, the life of the EEPROM can be an important design consideration.

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
flash memory

The term you selected is being presented by searchStorage.com, a TechTarget site for Storage professionals.

Flash memory (sometimes called "flash RAM") is a type of constantly-powered nonvolatile memory that can be erased and reprogrammed in units of memory called blocks. It is a variation of electrically erasable programmable read-only memory (EEPROM) which, unlike flash memory, is erased and rewritten at the byte level, which is slower than flash memory updating. Flash memory is often used to hold control code such as the basic input/output system (BIOS) in a personal computer. When BIOS needs to be changed (rewritten), the flash memory can be written to in block (rather than byte) sizes, making it easy to update. On the other hand, flash memory is not useful as random access memory (RAM) because RAM needs to be addressable at the byte (not the block) level.
Flash memory gets its name because the microchip is organized so that a section of memory cells are erased in a single action or "flash." The erasure is caused by Fowler-Nordheim tunneling in which electrons pierce through a thin dielectric material to remove an electronic charge from a floating gate associated with each memory cell. Intel offers a form of flash memory that holds two bits (rather than one) in each memory cell, thus doubling the capacity of memory without a corresponding increase in price.

Flash memory is used in digital cellular phones, digital cameras, LAN switches, PC Cards for notebook computers, digital set-up boxes, embedded controllers, and other devices.

deep

TRIBE Member
no expansion slots afaik rob

as for prices they'll probably be crazy expensive for the 512 and 1024 mb players initially, but there's going to be heavy competition in mp3 players this year so prices will probably fall

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

labRat

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by deep
so prices will probably fall
no.

flash prices are always expensive.

the main problem is that flash manufacturers do not up the supply on older ICs (leading to lower prices). they stop production and move on to the next higher density.

deep

TRIBE Member
yes, flash memory itself is always expensive to buy for the manufacturers...what I was referring to is that competition in retail results in occasional gifts to the consumer...like a month ago best buy knocked $100 off the 512 mb iriver player

vveerrgg

TRIBE Promoter
i'm gotta get one of those....

I'm going to hong kong in 2 weeks. what do you think I odds are I could find one there already?

anybody anybody?

deep

TRIBE Member
I think they've just been announced, I don't know if they'll actually be available anywhere. If anywhere you'll find them in Korea where Iriver is based .

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit