• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Iraq war my biggest regret, Bush admits

acheron

TRIBE Member
Suzanne Goldenberg in Washington
The Guardian, Tuesday December 2 2008

George Bush, in a moment of reflection ahead of his departure from the White House, last night admitted that the decision to go to war against Saddam Hussein on the basis of flawed intelligence was the biggest regret of his presidency. The acknowledgment marks the first time that Bush has publicly expressed doubts about his rationale for going to war on Iraq.

In the run-up to the war, the White House adopted a position of absolute certainty that Saddam had weapons of mass destruction, basing its arguments on intelligence that was later exposed as flimsy and wrong.

"The biggest regret of all the presidency has to have been the intelligence failure in Iraq," Bush told ABC television in an interview scheduled for broadcast last night. "I wish the intelligence had been different, I guess." But he followed that moment of candour with an attempt to try to deflect charges that the White House misled Congress and the public to build a case for war, arguing that there had been widespread belief that Saddam had a nuclear arsenal.

"It wasn't just people in my administration; a lot of members in Congress, prior to my arrival in Washington DC, during the debate on Iraq, a lot of leaders of nations around the world, were all looking at the same intelligence."

He was not asked about allegations that political pressure was brought to bear on the CIA and other intelligence agencies in the run-up to the war.

The exit interview found Bush in an unusually reflective mood for a president who has famously refused in the past to admit any mistakes. He did not go so far as to say he would not have gone to war if the intelligence had been correct.

"That's an interesting question. That is a do-over that I can't do," Bush said, according to excerpts from the interview at Camp David. Later he said: "I will leave the presidency with my head held high."

Despite the flawed basis for the invasion of Iraq, Bush defended his decision to leave US forces in the country.

Though Iraq remains among his defining legacies, he said he had not anticipated going to war when he was running for the White House. "I was unprepared for war. In other words, I didn't campaign and say, 'Please vote for me, I'll be able to handle an attack'. I didn't anticipate war."

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
What a departure from he and Cheney having absolutely undeniable proof of Saddam's WMD's.

Nice try douche, your legacy is still fucked.

why not

TRIBE Member
i love how if you read the quote closely he's not apologizing for going to war, he just wishes "the intelligence had been different, I guess."

i think it's that kind of thinking that got him in trouble in the first place.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
acheron said:
"The biggest regret of all the presidency has to have been the intelligence failure in Iraq,"

"It wasn't just people in my administration; a lot of members in Congress, prior to my arrival in Washington DC, during the debate on Iraq, a lot of leaders of nations around the world, were all looking at the same intelligence."

He was not asked about allegations that political pressure was brought to bear on the CIA and other intelligence agencies in the run-up to the war.

"That's an interesting question. That is a do-over that I can't do," Bush said, according to excerpts from the interview at Camp David. Later he said: "I will leave the presidency with my head held high."

Though Iraq remains among his defining legacies, he said he had not anticipated going to war when he was running for the White House. "I was unprepared for war. In other words, I didn't campaign and say, 'Please vote for me, I'll be able to handle an attack'. I didn't anticipate war."

All lies. Totally shows how he truly sees himself as without fault, even a victim in this situation.

There was no evidence of WMD's, all of his intelligence bodies and others verified this and he jumped at them and told them to find it. Any number of books from Woodward to Clarke's will confirm this.

Nice way to revise what happened. Congress approved only because he said there was absolute proof of WMD's and he would provide that proof when the time was right. After 9/11 he pushed and bullied, using that as an excuse, to justify everything he wanted to do. Oh and that if you didn't support him you supported the terrorists.

As for not having plans in Iraq before being elected, if it's true that's only by a hair because the plan to invade Iraq existed well before 9/11. All they needed was a justification, which magically came just a few months in. (and despite THOSE intelligence warnings you had no idea that it could happen, right?)

Last edited:
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

deep

TRIBE Member
Love the sensational selectivity here. Saying you regret the intelligence is different than saying you regret the war entirely.

TaCk OnE?

TRIBE Member
"sorry I punched you honey, I just get so mad sometimes, I'll never do it again."

it's not about what you say afterwards, everything is based on actions and
opinions and the general way you approach the world. I mean, the man labeled an entire geographic region evil. That's only marginally terrifying.

sorry you regret it, but, welcome to 6 years ago.

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
G.W. Bush said:
"I wish the intelligence had been different, I guess."

That is also MY biggest regret of the past 8 years. That the intelligence was not different.

He did not go so far as to say he would not have gone to war if the intelligence had been correct.

Hell naw, cuz that's how we roll.

Colm

TRIBE Member
Boss Hog said:
What a departure from he and Cheney having absolutely undeniable proof of Saddam's WMD's.

Nice try douche, your legacy is still fucked.

The Truman process is beginning a few years early for Bush. Have no doubts, in 30 years both Democrats and Republicans will be praising the 'courageous' Bush Jr. and his visionary ignorance of presidential limits of power.

BAd Luck

TRIBE Member
Do'es anyone remember iraq#1?...
at that time all the rah rah usa asked "why didn't we take baghdad?"
you know why, motherfuckingretards? Because Colin Powell said NO.
and the reason he said no, still holds true. At that time, it was his opinion
that COMPLETELY unearthing the power of balance in the mideast would
cause long term fucktardville.And survey says!? Ya it's fucked.Iraq is the
new iran. Sunni shiite controlled fuckville! usa! usa!

skin deep

TRIBE Member
Once again somebody posts an article after barely reading it and copying/pasting an incorrect headline. Every single other headline that I've seen about this interview says something along the lines of "Bush calls flawed Iraq intelligence biggest regret", not the war itself. Even the Guardian article says the exact same thing.

Have we gotten to the point where we just post shit without even looking at it anymore?

acheron

TRIBE Member
I read the article, the headline I posted was the one that went with the article. If the Guardian has a slant, or choses to interpret Bush's words one way or another, that's their problem not mine! I can't change their headline. Here's the link to the story, with the headline. This article also appeared in the print edition of the paper.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/dec/02/george-bush-iraq-interview

---

Now, interestingly, the Guardian site has ANOTHER version of the story on-line now which was posted only to their website.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/dec/02/george-bush-iraq-war-regrets

The headline now reads: "Bush expresses doubts about rationale for Iraq war" with the subhead "In an interview with ABC, outgoing president admits going to war on the basis of flawed intelligence was his biggest regret"

Here's the rest of the second version of the article. Both are searchable on the Guardian's website.

George Bush, in a rare moment of reflection ahead of his departure from the White House, last night admitted that the decision to go to war against Saddam Hussein on the basis of flawed intelligence was the biggest regret of his presidency.
The acknowledgment marks the first time Bush has publicly expressed doubts about his rationale for going to war on Iraq. In the run-up to the war, the White House adopted a position of absolute certainty that Saddam had weapons of mass destruction, basing its arguments on intelligence that has since been exposed as flimsy and wrong.
"The biggest regret of all the presidency has to have been the intelligence failure in Iraq," Bush told ABC television in an interview scheduled for broadcast last night. "I wish the intelligence had been different, I guess."
But he followed that moment of candour with an attempt to try to deflect charges that the White House misled Congress and the public to build a case for war, arguing that there had been widespread belief that Saddam had a nuclear arsenal.
"It wasn't just people in my administration; a lot of members in Congress, prior to my arrival in Washington DC, during the debate on Iraq, a lot of leaders of nations around the world were all looking at the same intelligence."
The exit interview found Bush in an unusually reflective mood for a president who has famously refused in the past to admit any mistakes.
He did not go so far as to say he would not have gone to war if the intelligence had been correct.
"That's an interesting question. That is a do-over that I can't do," Bush said, according to excerpts from the interview at presidential retreat Camp David.
Later on, he said: "I will leave the presidency with my head held high."
Despite the flawed basis for the invasion of Iraq, Bush defended his decision to leave US forces in the country.
Though Iraq remains among his defining legacies, Bush said he had not anticipated going to war when he was running for the White House.
"I think I was unprepared for war. In other words, I didn't campaign and say, 'Please vote for me, I'll be able to handle an attack'," Bush said. "I didn't anticipate war."

skin deep

TRIBE Member
I agree, but the Guardian headline was flat out wrong, not just a slant.

Bush: Iraq intelligence failure 'biggest regret' - Yahoo! News
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20081201/pl_afp/uspoliticsbushiraqafghanistan

Reuters AlertNet - Bush calls flawed Iraq intelligence biggest regret
http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N01511412.htm

Bush: My biggest regret is intelligence failure in Iraq - Haaretz
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1042676.html

Turn Maine Blue:: Bush's biggest regret? Intelligence failure in Iraq
http://www.turnmaineblue.com/showDiary.do?diaryId=2128

Stupid Guardian...

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
djglobalkiller said:
colin powell is a smart guy..hope obama uses him accordingly in his office

Yeah all except that one little decision where he went to the United Nations to begin a war that he knew was a lie that ended up killing 100,000+ Iraqi civillians.

Other than that I'm sure he's a stand up guy.

deep

TRIBE Member
acheron said:
I read the article, the headline I posted was the one that went with the article. If the Guardian has a slant, or choses to interpret Bush's words one way or another, that's their problem not mine! I can't change their headline. Here's the link to the story, with the headline. This article also appeared in the print edition of the paper.

Yeah, I was criticizing their slant. No more cool than a right wing nutjob selectively quoting or misprinting statements.

gl*tch

TRIBE Member
I wonder what he'll do when he's no longer prezzie. I don't think he'll be hitting the lecture circuit and I can't imagine him writing a book (w/out a ghost-writer)...I'd like to think that he'll go back to his ranch and putter around until he dies.

acheron

TRIBE Member
He'll write a book - with help from a ghost writer - it will sell well in red states... he will do a book tour of army bases and other places safe enough for him to visit. He will sit on boards of directors of companies like Halliburton or Barrick Gold (like his dad)... He won't be particularly productive like Bill Clinton, but he will keep himself occupied. I do think he'll go hide at his ranch for a few months just to simmer down. Plus I think Obama will need him findable for the inevitable "WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU DO TO THIS COUNTRY MOTHERFUCKER!!!??" calls to Bush's ranch late at night...

kyfe

TRIBE Member
mission-accomplished.jpg

BAd Luck

TRIBE Member
Boss Hog said:
Yeah all except that one little decision where he went to the United Nations to begin a war that he knew was a lie that ended up killing 100,000+ Iraqi civillians.

Other than that I'm sure he's a stand up guy.
You know that was not his call. I remember seeing that press conference,
he seemed off. The guy is usually mr.confidence, announcing the WMD's
hey knew he was making a bullshit call, and he doesn't have the pokerface
to pull it off. Buddy looked like he wanted to cry and then shoot himself.

Subsonic Chronic

TRIBE Member
BAd Luck said:
You know that was not his call.

Then who's call was it, if not the guy most in charge of the entire country?

Obviously guys like Rummy and Cheney were whispering in his ear the whole time, but the final decision is up to Bush since he basically declared himself supreme dictator of the country.

Colm

TRIBE Member
I read that Bush has finally talked about the 'Mission Accomplished' banner and how it was for a celebration on the carrier that had nothing to do with the overall objectives of the Iraq War. He didn't tell them to take it down because he was worried about morale. And because he had the PR nous of an anal wart.

Colin Powell is as neoconservative as they come. He left the administration because his balls weren't getting tossled as much as he'd liked. Funny how an Obama endorsement erases all past trangressions, like going to confession.