• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

IPODS - Is it really worth buying?

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
the battery life is 2 years max.
you spend 200 - 400 to buy.
i'm just wondering if all the hype around IPODS
really worth shelling out that amount of cash.
I know rechargeable batteries don't last forever.
have you guys experienced any problems with IPODS though?
I'm searching around as I want to get an MP3 player..

kaniz

TRIBE Member
I love my iPod nano. I wish I had the 4g one, but 2gs for the most part does me fine. If I didnt listen to DJ sets 90% of the time it wouldnt be an issue.

The battery charge is good and lasts long enough, iTunes can be a bit of a pain, I wish I could just use explorer to drag/drop files -- but meh, its not that bad. The controls are easy to use, the form factor is tiny and fits in my pocket without creating alot of bulk.

But, I've tried 3 or 4 diff types of MP3 players before sticking with the iPod (futureshop hated me I'm sure, I'd buy one, use it for a week or two, then return it). I actually had a Creative MuVo before I had an iPod which was great, except that it ran off of normal batteries which got to be a pain in the ass now and then always having to buy new ones.

But, you can just do what I did : pick a few that you think you may want, buy it, try it for a bit, then if you dont like it - return it, and try another one. Just be sure to keep the packaging/etc all in top-notch shape.

dig this

TRIBE Member
yeah, batteries are a pain... so you'll have to spend $50 to replace the battery every couple years, or get applecare and you set for 3 years.

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
thanks..im thinking about getting the 1G.
that's 500 songs..that's a lot of tunes !!
i think the applecare is a scam.
it takes 2 years for the battery to die..so why dont you wait and then
pay 50 bucks to replace the battery instead of pay 75 bucks for applecare to
replace it at the 2 year mark anyways.

i went to school for marketing
go figure :p

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
Go with an iriver. Even one of the 6GB H10's or a smaller one beats the iPods in terms of out-of-the-box features. FM Radio, Text reader (I use this a lot..keep a book on there to read), Recorder (Voice, Radio, Line-In), etc without having to buy any extra peripherals.

Plus you can replace the batteries yourself, order a new one from iriver and keep a spare one handy.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

kaniz

TRIBE Member
I found that the iRiver when I got mine, simply cost too much money. Sure, the interface was nice and colourful, but I also found it to be kinda sluggish. I forget how much the 5G one cost me, but I remeber that it was like, 20 bucks less then a 40G iPod or something.

It was nice, but too much money at the same time, and, I dont care about FM Radio (I hate the radio, its why I have an MP3 player), dont need the text reader, and I dont have any use for the recorder.

and yeah, the 1G if your listening to individual songs is pretty good. I just find with DJ sets, and ones that are like 200megs each, alot of space gets used up fast on my 2G and has me swaping on/off stuff that I wish I could keep on there.

Sinister Shadow

TRIBE Member
Hawk Eye said:
the battery life is 2 years max.
Really? Based on what?

I've got a click wheel IPod that is turning 1.5 years and it's going strong as heck. I still get plenty of charge on the battery and use it almost every day.

I don't see that changing in the next few months.

Sure, the original versions had some issues, but the batteries are easily replaced and are dirt cheap. Hardly $50. More like $20.

Most people have spent $100-300 on portable music players in the past (tape, cd, md). IPods set the bar slightly higher perhaps... but not by much.

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
based on the sales associates that told me..but then again
they could not be informative..i stumped them when i was asking quesitons.

i was told to go with Creative.
i dont know.
i like the ipod..i think the media has me hooked lined and sinker :p

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
i like my nano. it's really, really small, the screen is brightly lit and easy to read, the touch scroll wheel is very natural and good for scrolling through lots of shit (creative has a scroll strip, so you need to keep lifting your finger off the device), and the location of the headphone jack on the bottom means i naturally pull it out of my pocket with my thumb over the controls and the screen rightside up.
It would be nice to have radio, for dean blundell in the mornings, and record abilities (although i'd rarely use them) but whatever.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
I have a 5th Gen Ipod Video and I'm a pretty big fan of the design. Itunes is a tad of a pain in the ass but for the rest I'm a fan.

Richard Raiban

TRIBE Member
get samsungs version of the ipod!!!

i dont know to much about it but it looks pretty cool. its the same size as an ipod too (not the nano)

i have a psp and it rox the house!

TheRunningBoard

TRIBE Member
I am also thinking about making a purchase..good thread.

I would think the battery issue is similar with most portable music devices, they all use lithium-ion (I think?). I use my cell phone like it is going out of style and batteries suck after a year.

Sure, they all have different power conservation techniques....but the difference in battery life is probably negligble.

I have read some great reviews on the samsung products, and they have a "nano" version these days.

http://www.samsung.com/Products/DigitalAudioPlayer/MP3Players/images/b2c_l_ypz5blke.jpg

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Dialog

TRIBE Member
TheRunningBoard said:
I am also thinking about making a purchase..good thread.

I would think the battery issue is similar with most portable music devices, they all use lithium-ion (I think?). I use my cell phone like it is going out of style and batteries suck after a year.

Sure, they all have different power conservation techniques....but the difference in battery life is probably negligble.

I have read some great reviews on the samsung products, and they have a "nano" version these days.

http://www.samsung.com/Products/DigitalAudioPlayer/MP3Players/images/b2c_l_ypz5blke.jpg
Samsung isn’t a bad choice… I snagged one of these

basically a Shuffle w/ a screen & a mic. Ideally I’d like a small, cheap mp3 player that wouldn’t kill me to accidentally lose or break, and a 30+ gig vault with everything I have on it. This fills out the low end nicely, tho sometimes I wish it had 2gig; it's only 1.

Apple sources LCD panels, the bulk of its NAND Flash memory, and now the system-on-a-chip for future lower-end iPods from Samsung. They wouldn’t be doing so if the quality wasn’t there.

zoo

TRIBE Member
^ the price is very good on that 1 gig player .. $109 at CC

futureshop has a good special on the iriver 20 gig right now, $270 i think

Thumpr

TRIBE Member
just picked this up new from eBay for $192 CAN. and i already had a 40GB iPod Photo.... i didn't need it, but i wanted it.

sniff around for a gigabeat F40. they're being phased out for the new S series and you can steal 'em. i like everything about it more than the iPod, except for the touchpad. iPod pwns for blowing through 1-2 DJ sets with thumb spins.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

greginhali

TRIBE Member
i have a couple of people offering me either

4 gig nano $250
or
30 gig photo $275

which one is a better deal??

veteze

TRIBE Promoter
I find the 4 gig to be just a tad too small storage space wise. I have a 30 as well but I only ever have about 10 gigs on it. If I have more it's just way too much stuff. I only ever have a few albums in the rotation even with a giant archive of old crap at my fingertips. Go figure. I would think a 10 gig sized player would be perfect.

For that price I would go for the 30 though. Especially if it's the newer super slim 30s... They are big though. The nano's are so tiny!

--r

kaniz

TRIBE Member
Well, it depends on what you want.

The features of the 30g photo I dont really need/care for, and the form-factor is bigger then I want. I really like the small size of the nano.
Also, I dont really have 30g of music I want to carry on me at all times.

Hell, if it wasnt for the fact that 90% of what I listen to is DJ sets, I'd have a hard time filling up a 2g nano with CDs/records that I want with me all the time. Its not really that big of a deal swapping music around once every few weeks.

For me, the physical size was more of a deciding factor than storage space. I like being able to put it into my pocket and have it hardly take up any more room than a lighter.