• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

iPod Shuffle

kyuss

TRIBE Member
Does anyone have this same problem who own a shuffle?

When I mount my ipod and view the drive in iTunes, there's 184mb of used space even after I delete all the songs. That's a big chunk of used space considering it's only a 512mb card. I tried to find a way to format the card, but didn't find anything.

Anyone have any ideas on how to clear the used unkown space?

Thanks!:p

Krzysiu

TRIBE Member
check your ipod preferences in itunes, it might be that you've reserved some allotted space for data rather than mp3s.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
This might or might not help ya.

However, I had a friend using a usb port on a Mac and had deleted everything on it, yet it kept reading as it being full.

Someone suggested emptying the trash can and it was functioning again.

TaCk OnE?

TRIBE Member
depends on how you're deleting the files.

if you delete them through itunes it should go away...if you go into the ipod as an external flash drive, and delete the files that way, you'll have to empty the trash to have them deleted.

files are only sent to the trash, but not actually deleted, but since it's a removeable device, if the files aren't actually deleted, they go back on the device.

Rataxès

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Krzysiu
check your ipod preferences in itunes, it might be that you've reserved some allotted space for data rather than mp3s.
Yep.

In iTunes you select Edit>Preferences>iPod and change the data capacity.

Dialog

TRIBE Member
iRivers cure cancer, organize your sock drawer while you sleep aaaaaaand give you the look of a mini-lift, every morning

they're not so hot on coming up with original product names, however

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

kyuss

TRIBE Member
I use a mac and a pc. I'll try that, sounds more like the ideal solution. Thanks!

Originally posted by ravinjunkie
This might or might not help ya.

However, I had a friend using a usb port on a Mac and had deleted everything on it, yet it kept reading as it being full.

Someone suggested emptying the trash can and it was functioning again.

Dr. Grinch

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by kyuss
I didn't quote this on geek forum, cause you barely get any replies like you do in here
I try and reply to almost any thread in there I can offer relevant information on.
There are utilities that allow you to use your shuffle without iTunes that I've had great success with. iTunes is a plague imo...

TaCk OnE?

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Boss Hog
I've heard about similar problems with ipods.

Here's a possible solution.

iriver might be a good product, I don't know....but as a designer, I have to say, that their total and utter rip off of the apple design campaign is so fucking pathetic, it really makes me think they're not worth looking at seriously.

copy cats are never worth your attention, because you're always getting second class bullshit.

that U10 flash page is an embarrassment.

http://u10.iriver.com/

acheron

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by TaCk OnE?
iriver might be a good product, I don't know....but as a designer, I have to say, that their total and utter rip off of the apple design campaign is so fucking pathetic, it really makes me think they're not worth looking at seriously.

copy cats are never worth your attention, because you're always getting second class bullshit.

that U10 flash page is an embarrassment.

chortle

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
conversely, apple sort of wraps up its dangerous enclosure of information in a tasty little aesthetic package that obscures not only buggy but (from a freedom of information perpspective) philisophically problematic software.

i own a nano, and i dig it. but i'm always weary of the blind enthusiasm of those in the creative industries that endorse apple products without thinking of the broader impact.

TaCk OnE?

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Spinsah
conversely, apple sort of wraps up its dangerous enclosure of information in a tasty little aesthetic package that obscures not only buggy but (from a freedom of information perpspective) philisophically problematic software.

i own a nano, and i dig it. but i'm always weary of the blind enthusiasm of those in the creative industries that endorse apple products without thinking of the broader impact.

what impact is that?

I'm not familiar with any freedom of information concerns with apple software.

anyway, it has nothing to do with apple, windows, captain crunch, or levi's jeans...the point is it's a balls out rip off, and that's shaaaame.....losers copy, bottom line.

kyuss

TRIBE Member
what impact is that?

I'm not familiar with any freedom of information concerns with apple software.

anyway, it has nothing to do with apple, windows, captain crunch, or levi's jeans...the point is it's a balls out rip off, and that's shaaaame.....losers copy, bottom line.
I agree, that flash page was a total rip off of apple's iPod ads. Competition is always there, but come on be original!

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
Wait, so we're picking products based on the originality of their fucking ad campaigns rather than on the merits of the product itself?

I missed that memo, but enjoy your Crystal Pepsi, folks!

TaCk OnE?

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Flashy_McFlash
Wait, so we're picking products based on the originality of their fucking ad campaigns rather than on the merits of the product itself?

I missed that memo, but enjoy your Crystal Pepsi, folks!

ugh, no....not in so many words, but partially yes.

I'm just saying it's a total rip off, and that's fucking pathetic.

typically, I don't buy products based on rip off ad campaigns....it alludes to the fact that they're cheap, uncreative, and trying too hard to be something they're not....usually has implications in terms of their quality as well...if they're willing to rip off something, they're going to be willing to cut corners in other places as well.

like I said, I have no idea if an iriver (even the name, gay gay gay) is a better product or not...I don't really care, my point wasn't about that, it was about the flash site being a total bite.....it's not between which campaign is better, it's about one person stealing intellectual property from another....

sorry, that's my business, I think it's hurting, and if you ask me, companies that do it, are hurting in other areas as well.

Rataxès

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Spinsah

Philosophically problematic software? WTF does that mean? Yeah, Apple software can be buggy, and Apple hardware is nicely designed but not free of problems (batteries, easily scratched etc), but they have a problem philosophically?

Are you referring to AAC content protection FairPlay, which is a proprietary DRM scheme? (ignoring the fact that it has the least restrictive DRM policies, and that you can still use regular MP3 files if you choose) Or perhaps you are discontent with Apple's tight coupling of iPods to the ITunes music store to 'lock in' users (although you do not need buy your music from them, and many users find this integration a feature).